• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Module B Hate Thread (2 Viewers)

mirakon

nigga
HSC
True, 40 minutes is not enough for most people to write a proper response rather than a superficial one. This is why the majority of students regurgitate essays. I know some of you are genius and probably going to bitch about me for whinging but not everyone is able think on the spot so quickly like that.
That's the point though. The HSC would hardly be a good indicator of your level if it didn't separate the good from the not so good.

KateSinead

HSC
Re: wtf are Module B man..........

I think it was asking what themes are associated with the final stanza of the Violets and how it is represented within her poems as a whole.

Basically meaning, you have to analyse the themes conveyed in the final stanza of the Violets.
Yeah i did kinda link in how she used the same themes in violets as she does in all her poems. But i actually did the Violets as one of my chosen texts i was going to talk about, so i was talking about the whole poem rather than just the end :/

jamesfirst

HSC
Yeah, it didn't say you had to link. I just did it because I didn't prepare for 'The Violets' (Even thought it was the one I chose it as one of my four I was going to use).... I also used the indentation to show her going back in time, blah, blah.... That she overcomes the limitations of time through her use of vivid imagery and sensory language.... This overcoming of the laws of nature is evident in 'A Valediction' through the power of imagination where the unity of flesh and spirit is portrayed blah, blah, blah.... Lmao, I'm gonna fail.... Hard.
Also, from my memory from 6 months ago Violets are motif that symbolises her acceptance of mortality...

jamesfirst

HSC

Yeah i did kinda link in how she used the same themes in violets as she does in all her poems. But i actually did the Violets as one of my chosen texts i was going to talk about, so i was talking about the whole poem rather than just the end :/
You are meant to. So you should get a good mark.

Glorious

HSC
What would you regard as detailed exactly?
The nature of existence and justice. Okay, here you could focus on Yorick's skull maybe? and How that opens up a new dimension to Hamlet's thinking, where Shakespeare uses Hamlet as a Renaissance man who gains experience and fear of death and afterlife, however, ensures that towards the end he is more open to dying for his own beliefs > thus you could tie this to the idea of corruption in Denmark and all which has led to his demise into insanity - including his mother's improper actions (mysogyny) hence his spiritual values here being the ultimate factor giving us an insight about the nature of Hamlet's existence. Justice could also be seen as I said earlier about the poison being the representation of his ability to notice that the "Rest is silence". I used this as a possible allusion to God's will-power to silently subdue those who were corrupt in Denmark, like Claudius, so that despite Hamlet's source of inaction, this may give him the sense of fulfillment after all that justice may correspond to the means of God revenging his enemy?

S_A_M_U_t

HSC

I did Harwood, and I could not even comprehend what the question was asking me when i was reading it through in the exam. Question seems to make more sense for Hamlet, but hardly made sense at all for Harwood I thought.
Just bs the whole thing. Talked about her use of universal themes throughout all poems to make them relevant to anyone :/ had no idea

I think the question was asking how the final stanza of 'The Violets' is evident of themes seen everywhere in Harwood's poetry. I thought it was easy cause 'The Violets' actually relates to most of her poems, hence it's popularity with students, as well as the BOS using it as a set poem for the exam.... I only ever encountered an essay question like this ONCE, and it was for my half-yearly.... It was "To what extent does Harwood explore the tension within The Violets and ONE other poem?" Grrr.... Never in my life did I think I would ever encounter a question like that in the HSC.... But Paper 2's question was actually alright....

jamesfirst

HSC

I think the question was asking how the final stanza of 'The Violets' is evident of themes seen everywhere in Harwood's poetry. I thought it was easy cause 'The Violets' actually relates to most of her poems, hence it's popularity with students, as well as the BOS using it as a set poem for the exam.... I only ever encountered an essay question like this ONCE, and it was for my half-yearly.... It was "To what extent does Harwood explore the tension within The Violets and ONE other poem?" Grrr.... Never in my life did I think I would ever encounter a question like that in the HSC.... But Paper 2's question was actually alright....

I should have prepared 1 related for module C... I don't know why I chose a second one but I still wrote 980. so nice.

for Harwood, I did

Valediction: maturation through experience
Triste, triste: maturation through experience
Sharpness of death: maturation and acceptance of the transience of time through experience and memory
Violets: maturation and the transience of time through memory

But I didn't write that much for violets tbh... because I didn't have time

Last edited:

acemusic415

HSC
I personally think for the question on Hamlet, it was vague enough for you to get away with a response that encompassed themes. But don't take my word on it. I continuously referred back to the source, citing them in my topic sentences and during my analysis.

S_A_M_U_t

HSC

I should have prepared 1 related for module C... I don't know why I chose a second one but I still wrote 980. so nice.

for Harwood, I did

Valediction: maturation through experience
Triste, triste: maturation through experience
Sharpness of death: maturation and acceptance of the transience of the through experience and memory
Violets: maturation and the transience of time through memory

But I didn't write that much for violets tbh... because I didn't have time
I pretty much did the same.... Except for 'The Sharpness of Death'.... I loved 'Triste, triste' and 'A Valediction'.... I hated 'At Mornington' and 'The Violets', cause that's what everyone uses, and the reason why I studied Triste and Valediction in-depth.

I was gonna do what you did (Not write much about 'The Violets') but I re-read the question and it said "make detailed...." or something like that. I had to bs about the first half of the poem because I couldn't remember anything from it. WWWHHHHYYYY??!?!?

jamesfirst

HSC

I pretty much did the same.... Except for 'The Sharpness of Death'.... I loved 'Triste, triste' and 'A Valediction'.... I hated 'At Mornington' and 'The Violets', cause that's what everyone uses, and the reason why I studied Triste and Valediction in-depth.

I was gonna do what you did (Not write much about 'The Violets') but I re-read the question and it said "make detailed...." or something like that. I had to bs about the first half of the poem because I couldn't remember anything from it. WWWHHHHYYYY??!?!?
Well I couldn't bull shit because I wrote detailed memorised essay and had a little time to squeeze in the Violets

sophielee169

HSC
well to the many who predicted that mod b would be a shitfest this year, you were right =P

probably max i can get is like 15/20 but then i was never really good for mod B anyway heh

also a teacher (who marked mod B before) said that you don't need to say "I" or "my" in your essay, as long as you make it clear that it is your personal interpretation (if that makes any sense, lol)
i agree completely with what you're saying.. or what your teacher said. as long as you make a judgement then its clearly your own judgement and your own interpretation.. when have you ever had to write 'i' in an essay? thats not an essay at all..

themanman

HSC
N/A
i agree completely with what you're saying.. or what your teacher said. as long as you make a judgement then its clearly your own judgement and your own interpretation.. when have you ever had to write 'i' in an essay? thats not an essay at all..
why wouldnt that be an essay just cos ur using 'I' and 'my'

an essay is your personal critique on something

especially being a CRITICAL STUDY it would be required

you dont HAVE to

although, as i said before, it IS preferred

themanman

HSC
N/A
Re: Module B - too specific?

I did Hamlet and talked about how the ending is integral in how Shakespeare re appropriates the tragic genre. Because it didn't specify thematic concerns I turned it into a genre study :D
wow
how are you doing english and history in year 11?

why doesnt my school offer that? :'(

Glorious

HSC
You DONT need to, but as themanman said, it is preferred because it is asking you directly for YOUR response - and if you feel that you could make your judgement clear without using first person tense, then by all means, but it's sort of showing the marker that you are addressing the question directly. Where has there ever been a rule against writing "my" or "I" for essays? Don't make assumptions and say "thats not an essay at all". :S My teacher has also marked Module B before and he said its perfectly fine. It's optional.

Wiz Apprec Soc

HSC
True, 40 minutes is not enough for most people to write a proper response rather than a superficial one. This is why the majority of students regurgitate essays. I know some of you are genius and probably going to bitch about me for whinging but not everyone is able think on the spot so quickly like that.
Really? I don't know you...

nathanf

HSC
Hamlet this year was the first to contain a massive quote and ask you to relate your text to the themes shown in the ending.

Actually, I found about 1 minute to flick through the book during the reading time.. Alot of Mod b had big quotes provided.

chubzy

HSC
legit thought to myself the night before "they won't specify among school children so i probably won't have to read over the notes"

no joke.

actually mentally cried and laughed at the same time when i saw it during reading time HAHA

but i did write some decent things about it, my teacher's voice was just ringing in my mind from our revision lesson and i just gathered the most obscure quotes and techniques and mashed it up together... hopefully the marker would see my essay as a whole (haha...) and not mark me too badly :)

Glorious

HSC
Um, so the HSC set the 40 minute time-frame so that most people could write "superficial responses"? That's not the case with me because I don't go in with prepared essays and I seem to do fine. Some have that talent, some don't.... it's something you need to work on... you don't just gain it with a blink of an eye.

sophielee169

HSC
Pshhhh people shouldn't be complaining about this at all, module B was in my opinion a fantastic question. It made you stop and think, and look at how something shapes and relates to the rest of your material, and it really throws out the people who did what you're not supposed to be doing in english and thats blatantly memorising and regurgitating essays. And as for those doing poetry or speeches, you're supposed to be studying the whole thing anyway instead of just focusing in and only learning two or three.

The board of studies needs to have the power to do this sort of thing when it wants to to throw up mindlessly prepared responses and throw in the more legitimate aspect of english examination; that being writing and thinking ability. If you ask me they should be asking many more questions like that in module B.

lol, and what text did you do? you try studying eight speeches, some of which go over 10 pages, that do not all have a central theme or message to link them together, and know enough about them all to make 'detailed reference' to the entirety of the speech. that is not what we were prepared for at all.. infact our teachers- and hsc markers at english lectures for that matter- told us to only learn 2-3 speeches in depth as that is all we'd need to write about.. so yes, we do have the right to complain.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)