• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Motion -- "find the greatest velocity" type questions - help needed (1 Viewer)

cssftw

HSC
Hi guys, here's the question I don't know how to do:

Q. A particle is attached to the end of an elastic string; it is projected vertically downwards from the point O with velocity sqrt(22) m/s, and has acceleration (10-2x) m/s/s after it has traveled x metres.

Find it's greatest velocity, and show that the motion is confined to a certain interval.

----

Can someone please explain to me how to do this? I mean with questions involving greatest displacement -- you just let v=0 right? So what's the deal with greatest velocity? Do you let acceleration = 0, or is there something else?

Help would be immensely appreciated! Thanks

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
The greatest velocity does occur when the acceleration is zero. Have a go using that idea and report back to see how you've faired against the question.

cssftw

HSC
The greatest velocity does occur when the acceleration is zero.
Just to make sure, are you over 9000% that this is right? Could you explain why? Is it because greatest velocity is at a maxima, therefore acceleration = 0? But wouldn't that only work if acceleration and velocity are in erms of t (time)??

Also yeah, if it is right, then I got greatest velocity = 6(sqrt(2)) m/s

Last edited:

hscishard

HSC
Max velocity in shm is when x=0, i.e. centre of motion. This is when acceleration is 0. For that question you could integrate it to find v in terms of x.

What you said about maxima and acceleration = 0 isn't correct. Acceleration is max there

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)