• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Movies that have managed to perfect a genre (1 Viewer)

Kos

I was just listening to the actors commentary on Seven and Brad Pitt remarked that "Seven is probably the most perfect film I have ever stared in". It got me thinking.

I think that Seven managed to perfect the crime genre - go David Fincher
This is Spinal Tap and Life of Brian - comedy
Robocop and Terminator 2 - action
Shrek - kids comedy
Parenthood - drama/comedy
Ill post more as I think of them.

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
Hitchcocks Psycho-The Classic Thriller. (Not to be mistaken with the slashy thriller movies.)
My Girl-the Coming Of Age movie.

And yes-Seven rules!

^___^
HSC
how do one define action movie?

pure fighting with min. special effect (like bruce lee and jackie chan movie)

or like as u said shooting like Arnie...

Kos

Originally posted by Butterfly_Wings
Hitchcocks Psycho-The Classic Thriller. (Not to be mistaken with the slashy thriller movies.)
My Girl-the Coming Of Age movie.

And yes-Seven rules!
Hitchcock rules. It annoys me how most modern audiences cant appreciate his genuis because his style has become so cliched nowdays.

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
Originally posted by Kos
Hitchcock rules. It annoys me how most modern audiences cant appreciate his genuis because his style has become so cliched nowdays.
I don't think his style has become cliched. I think these days people rely on a lot of formulaic shock methods (eg-eerie music to build suspense then someone suddenly jumping out of nowhere) while hitchcock never took any cheap shots...it'd start feeling creepy and you don't even know why cos it was all so subtle. I don't think people have tried to copy many of his techniques...he WAS a genius, and I think people know that all too well! I wish people would try to copy him more...maybe then there'd be something good to watch.

Skywalker

HSC
N/A
David Lynch's "Mulholland Drive" perfected the OMGWTF-IS-THIS-MOVIE-ABOUT genre.

Loz#1

"03'er"
HSC
Originally posted by Skywalker
David Lynch's "Mulholland Drive" perfected the OMGWTF-IS-THIS-MOVIE-ABOUT genre.
Fucking oath! That and 'The Matrix', I have never understood them.

Originally posted by Butterfly_Wings
I'm watching Hitchcock's 'To Catch A Thief' with Cary Grant and Grace Kelly at the moment, well i've rented it anyway.

Courtenay

HSC
N/A
freaky friday was a pretty good remake.

what about prequels..i think star wars are pretty good

x-men 2 perfected the sequel

M

mushi

peter lynch rocks

i also hardly had a clue what the hell was going on in mullholland drive...opera singers, some bear monster shit, and lesbians

pure genius.

M

mushi

oops dont know why i said peter

and memento is good, not sure what kind of genre that comes in

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
yeh it was david lynch...

to me 'requiem for a dream' was a perfect example of a drug movie, although i don't really know what genre to call it... at video ezy/blockbuster both requiem and trainspotting are in arthouse :p

Kos

Has anoyone seen David Lynch's Eraserhead? He made that when he was at the peak of his various narcotic addictions. Thats one screwed up movie.

Lawrence of Arabia is probably the best epic made. I thought it captured the man itself really well.

Fight Club and Chopper have been mad mix genre movies.

Star Wars probably wins for sci-fi. I know its a totally geeky film now, but you compare it to stuff that was being made around it's time and its amazing.

If anyone is going to mention Braveheart here, Ill just say now that it was a mad movie, but I hate the way the film depicts Wallace as a total god. Seriously, every character in the movie is shown as being human, like Hamish when he becomes disilludioned with it all. Every character except for Wallace. It pisses me off bigtime. Especially when history points towards Wallace being a blind idealist, or thats the impression I get anyway. All this probably has to do with the fact that the screenwriter was a descendant of Wallace.

Depicting Wallace as a more complex character wouldnt have detracted from the movie. I mean look at Lawernce of Arabia. That movie depicted T.E Lawernce as the torn man that he was and people still thought the movie was great.

~TeLEpAtHeTiC~

Aesthetically Challenged
HSC
my favourite movies
1. american beauty
2. virgin suicides
3. american history X
4. donnie darko
5. KKKG
6. memento
7. requim for a dream

pure genius in their own ways i av so many that i could watch over and over but they arn't xcoming to mind :(
ANYWAYS all good :D

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
Originally posted by ~TeLEpAtHeTiC~
my favourite movies
1. american beauty
2. virgin suicides
3. american history X
4. donnie darko
5. KKKG
6. memento
7. requim for a dream

pure genius in their own ways i av so many that i could watch over and over but they arn't xcoming to mind :(
ANYWAYS all good :D
OMG ROFL STUF NFI!!

just kidding.

seriously, you are my movie hero, i love all of those (except kkkg, dunno what that is :p)

Mojoman

Interstellar Overdrive
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by ~TeLEpAtHeTiC~
my favourite movies
1. american beauty
2. virgin suicides
3. american history X
4. donnie darko
5. KKKG
6. memento
7. requim for a dream
*stands and applauds*

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)