• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

My subjects for year 11 (1 Viewer)

iamdumdum

HSC
hmm.. i want to get into medicine in UNSW or USYD and i want to know which subjects should i do to get a good atar (99+)
And i have so far thought about doing in year 11
1) 3unit maths
2) physics
3) chemistry
4)advanced english
please give suggestions, im asian and i study

Dan895

HSC
Uni Grad
As cliche as this sounds your really better off doing subjects you enjoy, but if like me you like maths/science go for it. YOU DONT need to do these definitely but if you can do them well it will benefit you greatly!!

zombies

HSC
hmm.. i want to get into medicine in UNSW or USYD and i want to know which subjects should i do to get a good atar (99+)
1) 3unit maths
2) physics
3) chemistry
4)advanced english
hahahaha

But yes, the "asian combo" is 3unit English, 3unit maths, physics, chemistry and usually economics.

iamdumdum

HSC
yea i am really good in those science and maths subjects but still i need 3 more units worth of subjectss

Demento1

Philosopher.
HSC
Haha, I picture a typical genius from James Ruse here. Haha, anyways it's just an assumption ;)

Back on subject. Clarify with yourself, if you really want to do medicine. By that I mean actually seeing if that is what you aspire to be, rather then because you think there's prestige in getting a smarter job. Note that doctors don't always earn the most money and the way asian cultures think, is pretty small minded in my opinion (I say this as an asian myself).

If you really aspire to be a doctor, I could give some suggestion choices for subjects although I'm only year 10 as well. Clearly, your chosen subjects indicates a calibre of only high scaled subjects. I will assume you want another high scaled subject. Why not try economics or modern history? Maybe you can do Latin? Perhaps 3 unit English? These are typical choices for many asians.

Note: Not everyone is made to be a doctor! By all means go ahead if you think that's your life, but don't make the mistake of choosing medicine and hating it for the rest of your life. There's no productivity in demotivated workers.

iamdumdum

HSC
haha ty for reply, no im not from james ruse
Anyways hmm, yea i really want to do medicine or some engineering but i priorities medicine, that is the path i am gonna take
i wouldnt mind getting an average pay cause i really like disecting stuff XP
but im scared without good scaling subjects, im gonna not get into the course.

EpikHigh

Arizona Tears
HSC
Should do

3U Math
Eng Adv
Phys
Chem
Bio
Some shitty 1 unit subject since you obv want to do 4unit in year 12 right? and if you wanna keep it at 12 units
if you actually enjoy english do ext 1 if you actually like it if you unsure think of this if English was an elective would you do it?

Demento1

Philosopher.
HSC
Haha, dissecting. My body can only bear so much... It's great if you want to be a doctor so now is the next important choice, obviously subject selections! So you're worried about high scaled subjects? Well then, people will correct me if i'm wrong, but I'm led to believe that teachers and most bos people here alike will tell you that it's best to choose the subjects you enjoy. You want to fill 3 units? Perhaps consider the electives you do now. Maybe you feel like pursuing some of them in future years. Perhaps you do commerce, so why not do economics if you enjoy it? So thus the key point is : CHOOSE WHAT YOU LIKE! In the end you're better off doing subjects you like and are good at then those which just scale high. Also, if you're really into maths, consider accelerating maths in yr 11 and do 4 unit in year 12? These are all suggestions for you, but remember these are your choices.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
1) 3unit maths
2) physics
3) chemistry
4)advanced english
ANY SUBJECT COMBINATION CAN GET YOU 99+
It all DEPENDS ON HOW WELL YOU DO IN EACH OF THEM

You have 3 unit(s) remaining:
You can do 1 unit of SOR 1 OR Extension 1 English!
For an extra 2 unit sub, there's many good subjects like Modern History, Business Studies, Economics, Biology, Engineering Studies, Ancient History, SDD, etc. Seriously, pick something that is worthwhile and you will enjoy!

Seriously, no-one cares whether you are asian or not.... Whether you study or not.....
You, yourself, determine what you get as an ATAR and maybe a bit of luck too...

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
So you're actually keen on math/science?
1) 3unit maths
2) physics
3) chemistry
4)advanced english
Options?
5) possibly bio if you like sciences, could be interesting for you, not the greatest scaler, but not an issue for getting an amazing ATAR if you can pull the marks in it coupled with the other subbies
6) A one unit subbie like ee1 to fill the void until you take 4u math?
7) Languages scale well, as do Eco but only do it if you like them, maybe Modern History as it's decent scaling
Ohh maybe engineering studies as that's your backup of sorts?

But I'm pretty much inclined to say pick whatever you want for the last fillers, you have the scaling factor covered so do what you enjoy.

Kimyia

HSC
Uni Grad
If you want to get into medicine, bio will certainly help with some basic knowledge. And remember, the subjects you like better are the subjects you will tend to get higher marks in so there is no point in picking a subject you are only doing because it might scale well. And in any case, the subjects you've listed already should get you some very decent marks provided you do well in your subjects. And no matter what you end up picking, everyone changes, drops, and picks up subjects in year 11 so don't stress if your final decision doesn't work out. There is still time to change it. Best of luck!

Magical Kebab

HSC
Should do

3U Math
Eng Adv
Phys
Chem
Bio
Some shitty 1 unit subject since you obv want to do 4unit in year 12 right? and if you wanna keep it at 12 units
if you actually enjoy english do ext 1 if you actually like it if you unsure think of this if English was an elective would you do it?
How r u only doing 12 units?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)