• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

My trial question [1mark] need help (1 Viewer)

kooltrainer

HSC
1) Which 2 of the following are bonded by co-ordinate covalent bonds

Methane, Ammonia, Water and HF [1mark]

2) What are the 2 fractions from which ethene is made? [1mark]

Last edited:

minijumbuk

┗(^o^ )┓三
HSC
1) What do you mean by "would bond with a co-ordinate covalent bond"? You mean, which of those would form co-ordinate covalent bonds with other materials? Or Which one of them are bonded by co-ordinate covalent bonds?

2)Fractions...? Umm... I'm not sure what they mean, but I'll take a guess and say catalytic cracking of long alkanes and fermentation of glucose --> dehydration of ethanol.

kooltrainer

HSC
yeh, Which 2 of the following would be bonded by cordination covalent bonds

Darrow

Executant of Life
HSC
Question 1 reminds me of a chemistry past paper hsc multiple choice question
Water can to form a Hydronium Ion
HF can
and Ammonia can to form Ammonium

No idea what they want with part 2

impervious182

HSC
Darrow said:
Question 1 reminds me of a chemistry past paper hsc multiple choice question
Water can to form a Hydronium Ion
HF can
and Ammonia can to form Ammonium

No idea what they want with part 2
No, I think that only water and ammonia can. In water both ionise, as you correctly stated, to form hydronium and ammonium ions, which both have a coordinate covalent bond.

Also, for the second question, I think what was meant was actually fractions, as in, in the process of fractional distillation. To be honest though, I don't know the answer...

I don't actually think it's important at all. What is important though, is that we know that the larger hydrocarbons 15 - 35 carbons in a chain, can be broken down into smaller alkanes and alkenes using catalytic cracking or steam/thermal cracking. We must also learn the conditions in which these reactions occur.

I.e. thermal will obviously require high temperatures (1000-3000 C, I think... and an atmosphere's pressure. As the hydrocarbons pass through hot metal tubes - no catalyst is needed.)

In regards to catalytic cracking, crystalline alumino silicates are used (a.k.a zeolites) as catalysts. The difference is that, where thermal breaks them down fully, catalytic cracking does not...

kooltrainer

HSC
alexdore993 said:
I don't actually think it's important at all. What is important though, is that we know that the larger hydrocarbons 15 - 35 carbons in a chain, can be broken down into smaller alkanes and alkenes using catalytic cracking or steam/thermal cracking. We must also learn the conditions in which these reactions occur.
lol, it may not be important, but it was tested in my trials! farr...wouldnt this thing be out of syllabus tho..

impervious182

HSC
kooltrainer said:
lol, it may not be important, but it was tested in my trials! farr...wouldnt this thing be out of syllabus tho..
we have to know some of the fractions of fractional distillation... one of which is LPG (liquefied petroleum gas) - that fraction should produce it. The other one, I'm not sure about...

Darrow

Executant of Life
HSC
kooltrainer said:
Ahah it is
But its a minor dotpoint stating:
Identify the industrial source of ethylene from the cracking of some of the fractions from the refining of petroleum

And regarding the coordinate covalent bond question
There was a multiple choice question on it in the HSC: it was a number 12 (no idea what year)

Two of the compounds shown below react together to form a new compound with a coordinate covalent bond

Structural Diagrams of Methane Ammonia Water and Hydrogen Fluoride shown

a) methane and ammonia
b) Methane and water
c) Hydrogen fluoride and ammonia
d) Hydrogen fluoride and methane

Soo, because methane doesnt form a coordinate covalent bond, it must be (C)

So HF can form a coordinate covalent bond!

axlenatore

Scuba Steve
HSC
ethene can be made in a variety of ways, since the questions says fractions you assume its talking about cracking, but you can use any chain for that

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
回复: Re: My trial question [1mark] need help

Q1)

NH3 and H2O.

NH3 + H20 -> NH4 + OH-

NH4 has a co-ordinate covalent bond.

Wasn't this in a HSC paper?

appletooth

HSC
alexdore993 said:
we have to know some of the fractions of fractional distillation... one of which is LPG (liquefied petroleum gas) - that fraction should produce it. The other one, I'm not sure about...
LPG and naphtha.

Darrow is also right about Q1...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)