• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Need help with subjects (1 Viewer)

M@ster P

HSC
Hi guys, I currently I do 11 units, subjects are listed in my signature.

Anyways I want to drop economics in year 12, therefore leaving me with 9 units and take up studies of religion 1 which leaves me with 10 units.

The problem is that I haven't done the preliminary course for studies of religion 1, so the question is:

Will I be allowed to take up studies of religion 1 course without the preliminary course?, or is the preliminary course a prerequisite for the hsc?

Last edited:

bawd

HSC
M@ster P said:
Hi guys, I currently I do 11 units, subjects are listed in my signature.

Anyways I want to drop economics in year 12, therefore leaving me with 9 units and take up studies of religion 1 which leaves me with 10 units.

The problem is that I haven't done the preliminary course for studies of religion 1, so the question is:

Will I be allowed to take up studies of religion 1 course without the preliminary course?
Varies from school to school, I believe. I'd expect it to be a no though, as a recognition of prior learning either through doing the course at school or outside is necessary to do the course for your HSC.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
You will have to talk to the relevant people at your school as to whether they have a means for you to satisfy the Preliminary course outcomes.

A number of years ago I had a student who did Preliminary Modern History with me and then wanted to do Business Studies in Year 12. Business and Modern were on the same line. The school allowed him to complete all the Preliminary assessment tasks over the course of the Christmas holidays between Year 11 and Year 12 and then he went on and did very well in the HSC in Business Studies.

The school may also take into consideration their knowledge of your ability to catch up that work.

M@ster P

HSC
Yeah I will talk to my curiculum co-ordinator, but your saying that I have to do the preliminary assessment tasks that I had missed

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
i'm fairly sure its going to be a no (i know a few people who tried that and couldn't)... but have you considered picking up ex2 maths?

M@ster P

HSC
wixxy2348 said:
i'm fairly sure its going to be a no (i know a few people who tried that and couldn't)... but have you considered picking up ex2 maths?

are you serious why not??

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
M@ster P said:
Yeah I will talk to my curiculum co-ordinator, but your saying that I have to do the preliminary assessment tasks that I had missed

That is what happened at my school.

Every school makes their own determination. As the Principal has to sign off that you have satisfied the requirements of the Preliminary course it is really up the the Principal to determine what they are individually prepared to accept as meeting that requirement e.g. one principal might say no to you doing it without having done the entire Year 11 course and another might say no problem without making you do anything because they know that you will do the work necessary. Ours requires the Preliminary assessment tasks to be done.

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
cem said:
You will have to talk to the relevant people at your school as to whether they have a means for you to satisfy the Preliminary course outcomes.

A number of years ago I had a student who did Preliminary Modern History with me and then wanted to do Business Studies in Year 12. Business and Modern were on the same line. The school allowed him to complete all the Preliminary assessment tasks over the course of the Christmas holidays between Year 11 and Year 12 and then he went on and did very well in the HSC in Business Studies.

The school may also take into consideration their knowledge of your ability to catch up that work.
True. I'd also suggest to talk to your year advisor or subject coordinator, as it varies from school to school.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)