• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

New computer. (2 Viewers)

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
Looking for a new computer, not built ones or w/e company brands.

Looking for a HP one, with monitor included and etc. Anyone know what stores sell them at good prices? thanks.

MTP

HSC
Dicksmith electronics
Tandy
Officeworks
Harvey Norman

Check their sites out and compare the specs/pricing.

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
Dell is always good if you are willing to comprimise not having a HP

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
http://www.ht.com.au/N/Computers-Desktops-HP/list.hts

Getting built computers isn't that bad. I did it and don't regret it. The only things I do regret are picking the cheapest mouse/keyboard and speakers. Also going a little overboard on some components; a chain is only as strong as its weakest link. But those would happen if you bought a generic anyway.

Personally, when I buy a new computer (will happen before the end of the year) I'd go for a laptop. Probably a dell laptop. I play a bunch of computer games and these days laptops can produce really good quality graphics, as well as giving you the portability.

It's what I want that's easy. It's getting it that
HSC
jumb said:

Getting built computers isn't that bad. I did it and don't regret it. The only things I do regret are picking the cheapest mouse/keyboard and speakers. Also going a little overboard on some components; a chain is only as strong as its weakest link. But those would happen if you bought a generic anyway.

Personally, when I buy a new computer (will happen before the end of the year) I'd go for a laptop. Probably a dell laptop. I play a bunch of computer games and these days laptops can produce really good quality graphics, as well as giving you the portability.
gaming laptops aren't really as 'portable' as you'd like to think.
i just went back the other way, always playing games on my laptop and being limited by typical laptop issues. Now i have a desktop and it's great for my games and such.
i'm looking to buy a netbook type laptop soon like an Eee 900, HP 2133 or the MSI wind just so i can take it to uni.

I built mine. Dont regret it because i have what i want and got it for a price way cheaper than the equivalent supplied by companies like Hp/Dell.

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
jumb said:

I have a laptop already, though my pc is being an ass lately I was thinking of getting a new one, though i would rather buy the tower at somewhere local then head to the city for a nice cheap monitor at some Asian PC store :)

Though I would like to consider getting a built ones, any stores that sell them? apart from online stores.

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
The_highwayman said:
gaming laptops aren't really as 'portable' as you'd like to think.
i just went back the other way, always playing games on my laptop and being limited by typical laptop issues. Now i have a desktop and it's great for my games and such.
i'm looking to buy a netbook type laptop soon like an Eee 900, HP 2133 or the MSI wind just so i can take it to uni.

I built mine. Dont regret it because i have what i want and got it for a price way cheaper than the equivalent supplied by companies like Hp/Dell.
I haven't really been looking for a while. I just keep looking at laptops, which cost the same amount as this computer did 2-3 years ago, but with better stats.

chicky_pie said:
I have a laptop already, though my pc is being an ass lately I was thinking of getting a new one, though i would rather buy the tower at somewhere local then head to the city for a nice cheap monitor at some Asian PC store :)

Though I would like to consider getting a built ones, any stores that sell them? apart from online stores.
Skipping the middle men saves money. But I do know from a few years ago that harvey norman are in cohorts with a company that does that. You're best off just going in and talking to someone to see what they can do.

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
I know i said dells are good but apparently the laptops are a pain to update
I think buiding is always good too. However i like the portabilty of a laptop so i tend to not get desktops

bluesoleli

HSC
Uni Grad
chicky_pie said:
Is dell really good or shit?
Dell is pretty good when it comes to quality in my opinion. I still have a 10 year old Dell Inspiron laptop still kicking until this day. Its been user misused and abused... dropped etc.
I also have two newer Dell laptops, a Dell Inspiron 6400 and an E1505. Both of which are very good as well. Never had a problem with any Dell products. :)

My brother has a Dell Dimension 4600 desktop.... never had a problem with that one either. As for me.... well I build my desktops because I work at a computer store and I can get discounts for what I can buy for myself. :)

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
If you want something cheap and nasty to just use word and look at webpages, dell aren't bad. If you're looking at something more, don't go there. Laptops might be an exception; dell are the only ones I've looked at for laptops and they seem alright.

Dell prey on people's ignorance of technology and flaunt the fact that they're just a popular brand name. Going with a known brand isn't always the best option.

JonnoisBored

HSC
my friend is buying a new computer in 2 weeks, so he will be looking to sell one, it is like probably a year and a half old, but hes just updating it to play new computer games and what not.

It pretty much had the best shit out at the time he bought it and is still better than alot of the stuff out now, he is probably looking for like 400 bucks for just the tower if you are interested...its custom built, but everything inside is pretty good quality brands and the case is cheapish but it does alright.

No problems with the machine.

dwarven

[SMSHS'08']
HSC
chicky_pie said:
Is dell really good or shit?
dell computers and laptops are pretty good

BUT dell's customer service is SHIT
and its expensive to upgrade parts.

just build one....
make sure all ur components are compatible

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
dwarven said:
I've heard that too. It's one of the most hilariously counter-intuitive facts about them. People think they should go with a known brand so that there's good after-sale service, but it's not that good at all. All they do is transfer you to some indian who just goes through a flow chart without really understanding your problem.

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
dwarven said:
dell

I Disagree we had to ring up dell to help with thermal errors and they were helping heaps. i think that it couldnt be better.

btw it was a layer of dust covering the fan i fixed it myself
Dust is the biggest killer of computers

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)