• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

no idea what to do at uni (2 Viewers)

Lina3

HSC
Fair enough about your maths point, i did misunderstand.

About the salary, i can see where you're coming from about it being a good salary compared to music teachers (i have no clue of these salaries) but i was comparing it to a commerce standard (e.g finance, accounting, economics etc).

Engineering standard, not really a good example to emphasise a very high salary though tbh.
Music teacher salaries are shocking these days because there are so many of them. Most of the ones I have been to do it as a part-time thing, except one, but her husband in an engineer the seemed to earn truckloads (hence my assumption about the large salary) and helped her make a small business out of it. Of course in schools its more stable (the salary still meh though), but teaching little yr 7s who don't want to be there the C scale year after year after year I find dull and horrifying.

Yes, I suppose you are right, other branches of commerce do pay better but if (and that's a big if) I end up doing it, I reckon I would still go for marketing. I'm not brave enough to dive in blindly into something I have absolutely zero knowledge on solely on the high-salary factor :p

Last edited:

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Marketing is great when you can pair it with an industry you love.

ilikecats

Meow meow meow meow meow?
HSC
Uni Grad
Don't go to uni then.
Take a gap year. Travel, get a full time job in an office somewhere. Experience the world outside of full time education.

In a few years time if you figure out what you want to study, then do it with no burden of debt and no regret about not living your life when you have a chance. In my evening classes there was such a broad mix of people, all ages and backgrounds studying for different reasons.

People might think you're stupid or lazy now, but in 5, 10, 20 years time maybe you might have made your decisions for the right reasons, rather than being the sheep that followed everybody else and is having a mid life crisis when they realise everything everybody ever told them was bullshit and they never looked outside the metaphorical window that is the world.

Also, Law is rather oversaturated with grads now that if you really aren't passionate and driven to be at the top it will be difficult once your done. 35k hecs debts, no job and doing a degree you didn't enjoy for the last 5 or so years sucks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)