• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

No Internships (1 Viewer)

CandE

HSC
There are no internships which are advertised on the I2MS site. Will they pop up later or is it just that no one interested in first time interns and I should look elsewhere? Not sure exactly how the system works, do they read the CV and then decide whether I should get their add, or does everyone doing my degree get the same blank screen when they look for intern places on the site.
:( I hope some come up soon.

CandE

HSC
Musk said:
i heard theres alot of civil kids are being asked for from local councils like in wagga wagga and places where its cheaper to hire u guys
Yes there was one available at Moree which offered travel and accommodation allowance. There was also Railcorp which was offering internship places. They could sendn you anywhere on the rail network from Scone to Goulburn and out to Lithgow. They offered one whole years of travel on busses, trains and ferries, which would be quite handy expecially if you don't drive. There was also one for a new rail line between Glouster and Brisbane

MoNNiE

HSC
CandE said:
They are not up yet.
They are up now.

there arn't too many up at present, usually there will be more advertisments towards the end of semester so i guess it would be good to be a tad patient.. but still apply :)

i just realised i need to have completed 129 cp before i can do my senior internship..need i'm under by 6cp's!
cheezy!

Logistics

HSC
heh you talking about senior. I haven't even done my first internship.
I'll have to do it very soon or get kicked out of UNI :(

CandE

HSC
They are up now, there was only 11 available, but 3 had closed before they were shown (the companys must have pulled out early).

heh you talking about senior. I haven't even done my first internship.
I'll have to do it very soon or get kicked out of UNI
Do the really kick people who haven't done their internships out of the uni? When I was in Intro to civil, there were a few who hadn't done their internships and were in their 5th year. They were removed from their subjects and were told they could not continue their course until they had completed their internships

Logistics

HSC
I was told by a friend that some of his friends got kicked out.
They even tried to drop the DipPrac but wouldn't let them.

I know some 4th/5th year students as well but apparently now they are enforcing it. I don't know.

On another note. Anyone know someone that did/does Internship with RailCorp? Is it any good? What do you get to do? What's the pay like? Interesting? etc.

CandE

HSC
When I logged on this afternoon, I noticed that one of the jobs I had applied for had closed before the close date. My application had been sent, but hadn't been recieved. What does this mean? Does it mean that the company has pulled out early, and is not accepting interns anymore, or something else?

Logistics said:
On another note. Anyone know someone that did/does Internship with RailCorp? Is it any good? What do you get to do? What's the pay like? Interesting? etc.
Someone has asked here: http://www.railpage.com.au/f-t11322799.htm
Is this you by any chance?
Aparently you get a year's free travel on all bus train tram and ferry, if you go there.

MoNNiE

HSC
well they don't "kick you out" they just ban you from taking any more subjects.. but eventually they would kick you out if you refuse to.
those guys who were taken out of your intro to civil are transfers from electrical or something.. too many of them!!

Basically the UTS degree is advertised as "our students already have one year experience when they graduate so hire them!"

the only way (correct me if i'm wrong) one could get out of doing the dipEngPrac is by dropping it right at the begining of your degree, they can't do much about it.. But do remember IT IS COMPULSORY that you need at least 60 days experience to gain professional accredidation.

though, you may think the DipEngPrac a waste of time.. but it actually pays off in the end.

Railcorp... i went to their presentation...tad boring... rather work for UnitedGroup

I find that if you work for a public sector organisation, though you are busy, the work your involved in doesn't really challange the person.. don't get me wrong there.. it is engineering.. but there is so much politics involved, as everything you do is under the microscope of the community and politicans.. and the projects you get involved in are limited (they usually tender the work out)

man.. i go off the subject easily!

oh for the i2ms listining

a possible reason why the listing was taken off was maybe
a) yes the position no longer is available
b) There is a mistake in the listing, thus it has or will be reposted later

CandE

HSC
Basically the UTS degree is advertised as "our students already have one year experience when they graduate so hire them!"
One of the reasons why I chose UTS over the other uni's
I find that if you work for a public sector organisation, though you are busy, the work your involved in doesn't really challange the person.. don't get me wrong there.. it is engineering.. but there is so much politics involved, as everything you do is under the microscope of the community and politicans.. and the projects you get involved in are limited (they usually tender the work out)
So you are saying that it is better to work for a private firm like Thiess or Leighton than work for a government organisation like Railcorp.
a possible reason why the listing was taken off was maybe
a) yes the position no longer is available
b) There is a mistake in the listing, thus it has or will be reposted later
Hopefully I will have some luck with one of the others.

Logistics

HSC
Yes, I chose UTS because of the Internship, that is why I'm taking much longer. I want to find a decent place :)

I don't see why one can't drop DipPrac at a later time. Like not drop it, it's more of changing your major.

MoNNiE

HSC
CandE said:
So you are saying that it is better to work for a private firm like Thiess or Leighton than work for a government organisation like Railcorp.
not necessarily, each sector has its pros and cons. I am probably being bais in saying government is crap/boring from personal experience (i was working at a local council).
if you like money (this is after graduating) then private sector best suited for you, but the con is the pressure and work load -- hence longer working hrs.)
Government on the otherhand you have power, and its abit less stressful (pending on the position you take up!), but -- the pay is crap (base rates..)

But for your internship, the pay varies.. some places will pay more then others. But i know government positions are pretty fixed with wages.

CandE

HSC
I got an email from railcorp today. It said that I needed to submit a questionarre, but I have already done the questionarre. Would this mean I need to submit it again, or should I just ignore it?

If I am not successful will the employers let me know?

Logistics

HSC
I'm not sure how much in advance, never asked.
But basically they get to see it before it's shown on I2MS.

Logistics

HSC
Not every company goes for geeks.
There are some that recognise talent :)

CandE

HSC
There have been a few which have come up in my suburb, but they have all been closed before I had the chance to apply. For example I log on to check at 10am, nothing new. Later at 1 pm I check again and there is one in my suburb which has closed already. WTF?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)