• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Not enough business courses in Comm/Sci? (1 Viewer)

Yip

HSC
I'm doing a Commerce/Science degree majoring in actuarial studies and math but I'm concerned that this degree does no provide enough training in business related fields, with too much focus on maths (I enjoy maths, but am concerned that it doesnt lead anywhere in business) which may impact employment within the business field and am considering switching to a Commerce/Economics degree, with majors in actuarial studies and possibly accounting. Which degree would provide better employment opportunity in the business field? and just out of curiosity, which degree is better if one wishes to become a quant?

Raginsheep

HSC
If you seriously want to be a quant, go fins maths.

Otherwise, I think ou have 18UOC for electives or something. Previously, they were commerce courses needed for expemptions. Not exactally sure if maths subbed them with complusory maths subjects or what.

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
Comm/Eco is better for business (it's 2 business degrees in 1ish!).

Comm/Eco is good for a quant job.

Raginsheep

HSC
What majors in a Comm Eco degree if one actuarial was definitely one major?

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
It's not as if business courses will make you a better quant anyway. Quants are usually msc/phd physics or maths people. Or engineers if they want the quants to have some social skills.

Affinity

HSC
Yip said:
I'm doing a Commerce/Science degree majoring in actuarial studies and math but I'm concerned that this degree does no provide enough training in business related fields, with too much focus on maths (I enjoy maths, but am concerned that it doesnt lead anywhere in business) which may impact employment within the business field and am considering switching to a Commerce/Economics degree, with majors in actuarial studies and possibly accounting. Which degree would provide better employment opportunity in the business field? and just out of curiosity, which degree is better if one wishes to become a quant?
If you are concerned that there's too much mathematics I suggest you either:
1. Do Com/Eco or Com/Law
2. Don't take actuarial studies, and do max commerce (only do 84 UOC for science)

Good employment in business related field? Commerce + Law, majoring in accounting and finance with HD average and first class honours + lots of internship experience + heaps of social activity involvement.

Quant - you are looking for a Ph.D, you need some serious mathematics for this job

Ok: seriously, A degree can only give you so much, the rest is up to yourself

by he way, seraphim, are there any opportunities around this year?

Last edited:

qwerty017044

HSC
As far as quant is concerned,

Is it better to do stat heavy courses or pure math?

Raginsheep

HSC
Quantitative analyst; someone who plays with numbers.

stephenchow

HSC
Would any of you know whether or not I can just do Commerce subjects next semester? (I do Commerce/Science as well)

Raginsheep

HSC
Yes. It'll probably fuck you your future science courses though due to pre-reqs.

Raginsheep

HSC
Well you don't do a science subject like SCIENCE1002 next semester which is only offered in sem2 and is a pre req for all later year subjects so you'll have to wait another year to do it and be one year behind.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)