• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

NZ citizens not eligible for transport concession card? (1 Viewer)

dawilster

HSC
Hey everyone,

Well here's my story and just wondering if anybody else is in a similar situation.

I'm a New Zealand citizen who has been here before and since 26 February 2001, before they changed the legislation for New Zealanders coming to Australia.

Heres the info: http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/travel-documents/new-zealand.htm#f

Anyway I tried applying for a transport concession card through my uni which I should be eligible for because I'm an Australian permanent resident but my request was denied saying that NZ citizens in my position are not eligible for social benefits.

Anybody else in my situation that was able to get a concession card?

The transport fees are killing me at the moment, I'm paying full fare 5 days a week and on a student budget it's a heavy hit.

Cheers

Last edited:

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
Request denied? Don't you just fill in a slip of paper, take it to a counter and get slapped with a sticker on your uni id card?

If it asks your nationality, put Australia (or domestic or whatever it is).

Or alternatively just buy student concession tickets (you don't need to show your concession card to buy them except if buying a rain ticket from a real person). Even if you are caught with the 'wrong' tick once or twice a year and fined (unlikely even then) you will still save more.

dawilster

HSC
Yea, I went there with the form for them to sign and they wouldn't sign it.

Melbourne is strict as now with ticket inspectors every where it's crazy, chances are I'd be caught at least once per week.

Edit: I'm probably better off counterfeiting one, its just a flimsy piece of laminate anyway.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)