• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

O week (1 Viewer)

oldnewbieraver

HSC
Monstar said:
i'm gonna start a fob club... wait a second... MACQUARIE IS A FOB CLUB.
hey so is it really true that Macquarie caters mostly to asian students with a few locals thrown in for good measure? hehe...it wasnt that extreme at Monash i reckon....

HSC
N/A
hrm I'm not sure, aside from the ones at the SAM bar.

mq has Conception Day though :D

Kegs

HSC
oldnewbieraver said:
hey so is it really true that Macquarie caters mostly to asian students with a few locals thrown in for good measure? hehe...it wasnt that extreme at Monash i reckon....
Oh yeah, for sure. There are way more asian students than others. In fact, most of the food joints are asian food, and all the clubs are run by asians. The Macq forum is unique on BOS in that it is the only one written in asian and a web browser patch named 'Tardis' allows you to view it in your own native langauge. I know that I am asian and all my friends are too.

I am of course refering to Asia the country, not the region.

HSC
N/A
Ben, you're way too convincing. You make me second-guess myself :(

oh and some asians are cool and can barely speak a word of any asian language, and can't use chopsticks, and don't like chinese food :D

X

xeuyrawp

oldnewbieraver said:
It's true. You just have to make a game of it, though. I suggest things like seeing how many you can run over in the carpark. Double points if you reverse over them. Triple points if they yell out something hysterical, 'NANJA KORE HA?!', 'HEY WHAT DOING LAH?!', '<<insert random Korean phrase>>.

glitterfairy said:
oh and some asians are cool and can barely speak a word of any asian language, and can't use chopsticks, and don't like chinese food :D
We refer to these hotties as banana smoothies. :)

HSC
N/A
:D

Speaking of asians, I still can't get over that utterly pussywhipped boyfriend who was walking down macquarie drive, one hand holding his girlfriend's hand, the other holding a book to shade her face from the sun. *chortles*

although on a more serious note I had two asians in my cul tute last year who really could not seem to speak coherent english... (one of them told me she'd been living in Australia for like, 10 years... what was she doing?!) everyone had to do a 20min speaking assignment in front of the rest of the class, much >.< It was frustrating because I tried to understand them, but just couldn't... then I tried tuning out and couldn't because I kept half-recognising words. :(

I understand the uni needs the revenue from international students, but seriously... perhaps a compulsary "english as a second language' course should be made compulsary.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
they do screen english, students have to be of a certain standard... sometimes it seems like the criteria is to know less than our average 5 year old though. to be fair though some internationals have brilliant english and they're so lucky to be able to speak 2 or more languages fluently, a dream i will probably be chasing most of my life *sigh*
glitterfairy said:
Speaking of asians, I still can't get over that utterly pussywhipped boyfriend who was walking down macquarie drive, one hand holding his girlfriend's hand, the other holding a book to shade her face from the sun. *chortles*
rofl

HSC
N/A
yeah she was a shortie like me and wearing those heels you can't walk in, so he had to totally shorten his stride to match hers and everything. :p

X

xeuyrawp

iambored said:
they do screen english, students have to be of a certain standard...
I was working at enrolment and talked with a Lebanese guy who was being screwed around with an English profiency test. Apparently he had to still do the test, even though a) he spoke English perfectly and b) he had done a degree at an English-speaking uni in Beirut. This meant that he might miss out on a semester of study (devastating considering he was in commerce or BBA or something).

Absolutely typical, when you consider that so many East Asian students get let in through SIBT without any screening, and this guy could speak english perfectly!

As an aside, you'd think that a degree from Macquarie would include skills of that degree as well as the skill of being able to speak English. The uni is so academically bankrupt sometimes.

HSC
N/A
alas, not even the wonder of iLectures and SAM discounts can cover up the woefulness of MQ sometimes :( I remember that guy. Poor dude.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
PwarYuex said:
I was working at enrolment and talked with a Lebanese guy who was being screwed around with an English profiency test. Apparently he had to still do the test, even though a) he spoke English perfectly and b) he had done a degree at an English-speaking uni in Beirut. This meant that he might miss out on a semester of study (devastating considering he was in commerce or BBA or something).

Absolutely typical, when you consider that so many East Asian students get let in through SIBT without any screening, and this guy could speak english perfectly!

As an aside, you'd think that a degree from Macquarie would include skills of that degree as well as the skill of being able to speak English. The uni is so academically bankrupt sometimes.
interesting/absolutely stupid. yeah all sibt seems to be full of non english speakers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)