• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Online Survey: Uni students & Stress! (1 Viewer)

z_morris

:D Hi All,

My name is Zoe, I am studying Psychology at Swinburne University in Victoria and I am doing my honours year this year. My thesis is on University Students, Stress, Coping & Well being.

I would love it if you could participate in my survey by following the link below:

http://www.media.swin.edu.au/surveyor/survey.asp?s=01102223168144227

Please note only current University students in Australia can participate, however international students studying in australia are welcome!!

Thanks I really appreciate it!!

PS. Also i was reading some of the earlier posts about psychology. In melbourne you can take pscyhology as an art or as a science and there is usually no difference you just most likely have a second major that will be an art or science too. In Vic you can study either a bachelor of science or arts and still become regestered as long as it is APS accredited.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Done.

Also about the Psych thing...(and im sure you'd know much more zoe), you have to do a 4th year honours or 2 years work experience to be qualified as a psychologist?

z_morris

Thanks to all who have completed my survey so far!! I really appreciate it, its nice to know that there are people in the world who go out of their way for others.

To those who havent done my survey- please do!!! And try if possible to answer all the questions... missing data does my head in!! (psych students will understand).
xo!!

*~Dazed~*

fuck a duck
HSC
I just did it but at the end it came up with this-

Error occurred

Error Number: -2147217900
Error Id: 107
Error Source: Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers
Error Desc: [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]INSERT statement conflicted with COLUMN FOREIGN KEY constraint 'FK_AnswerMatrix_Respondent'. The conflict occurred in database 'Surveyor', table 'Respondent', column 'RespondentId'.

so im sorry

z_morris

Good thought

Yes, good thought. This is not my only avenue of data collection. So im hoping that by using different groups or by going through subject co-ordinators too ill get a range of students. Can you think of any other ways??

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
I got a question if its ok with you...

I am doing a B Science, and majoring in Psychology. Presently, I didn't really think there'd be many job opportunities, because it is more preferred by employers etc.. to pick students who have the actual B Psychology degree. But I cannot attain a high enough mark in my other courses to be eligible to transfer to the B Psychology as the cut-off is way too high.

So students who do a B Science who major in Psychology can become registered? What type of job opporunities are there for those who major'd in Psychology?

karnevil

HSC
Ahhhh those Verytrue--Not True surveys mess with my head

I feel like even when Im trying really hard that its difficult to give you guys an accurate answer! :confused:

z_morris

In regards to people having better job opportunities for doing a B.Psych versus a B. Applied Science etc.

Ok. I did a bachelor of Applied Science/Social Science...now i am doing my honours year.

There is no difference in what degree you do as long as you have a major in Psychology that is accredited by the APS. Look at the Australian Psychological Society website: www.aps.psychsociety.com.au for more info (you can even become a student member and attend conferences and info nights at reduced prices.

To become a registered psych(o)?? it takes a minimum of 6 years.
3 year bachelor with major in psych, 4th year program (either honours or postgrad diploma in psycholgoy) and masters (2 years). You can also do a doctorate (3 years) which makes you a 'doctor' and has a bigger thesis (60,000 words i think) or a Phd (4 years maybe) and a huge ass thesis (90,000).

Whats the difference between honours and postgrad dip. Well honours is thought of as more prestegious and some doctorate programs wont let you in unless you have really good marks in honurs (no grad dips)

Graduate diploma is easier to get into, (credit average plus) and they actually look at your work experience as well (honours entry is on marks only -distinction average or so depending on the uni).

So, my advice...dont worry about what course you do, as long as you do really well in your psych major (and they generally only look at your third year marks). Apply to lots of unis (i applied to 8) and look at the differences between their programs cause they are not all the same. Some electives offered at other unis may interest you more.

Hope this has helped!!
good luck!!!

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
Thanks for the reply...I've just checked and it appears for my uni (UNSW), honours is not possible within a B Science or Arts degree.

"It is not possible to satisfy the requirements for entry to Honours in Psychology within the Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Social Science degrees, but students with this goal can apply to transfer to the Bachelor of Psychology at the end of Stage 2. Students with this aim should consult with the School of Psychology for advice about program selection. "

Hmm.... :(

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
done :)

Originally posted by Cyph
What about sampling randomisation to avoid bias?
yeah i always wonder about this with any research
Originally posted by z_morris
Yes, good thought. This is not my only avenue of data collection. So im hoping that by using different groups or by going through subject co-ordinators too ill get a range of students. Can you think of any other ways??
yeah do that, but still if you've done stat you'll know that the sample will still not be random. but does that mean that all studies are biased in a way? because people always have to agree to participate.

Originally posted by z_morris
To become a registered psych(o)?? it takes a minimum of 6 years.
3 year bachelor with major in psych, 4th year program (either honours or postgrad diploma in psycholgoy) and masters (2 years). You can also do a doctorate (3 years) which makes you a 'doctor' and has a bigger thesis (60,000 words i think) or a Phd (4 years maybe) and a huge ass thesis (90,000).
is that true for all unis? because i know people at mac doing psych and they have to do 5 years and something like 6 if they are doing a double degree

z_morris

Re: random sampling and psych degrees

Hi guys,

you are right, no REAL data sample will ever really be normally distributed... I mean by going on a site like this i am already really honing in on the 18-22 age group, but cause im looking at uni students, I would say that most undergrads are around this age.

So, I can only hope that as many differerent people will fill in my survey- thanks again to those who have- those who havent why dont you!!!?? (hehe).

In regards to ragerunners reply- sorry to hear about your degree... there are a few things- obviously apply to transfer to psych, and get as good marks as possible this semester in psych to up your chances of getting in. Otherwise, call other unis, are you eligible for their honour program?? or can you get into the postgraduate diploma of psychology at your uni or others???
Sometimes it helps if you do work experience. I did an internship at a psychological consulting firm called coyne didsbury pdi. They have an office in sydney too- if you are interested in org psych this is a great way of getting experience. Their website is www.coynedidsburypdi.com.au

Good luck with it all- if you really want to do psych im sure you'll find a way!! xo

z_morris

reply to iambored

Oh yeah, Iambored. I did a double degree so I did four years undergrad. Then my honours year this year is my fifth year of uni, but it is only counted as my fourth year in psychology so i will take at least 7 years of studying to become registered instead of the minimum 6 cause of my double degree.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)