• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Only NSW?? (1 Viewer)

topdeck

HSC
Hey,
i'm currently picking my subjects for year 11 and am considering doing legal studies, however something one of social science teachers said the other day sort of put me off...he said that the course was based entirely on NSW, which too me sounds a tad...well boring:sleep: Is this the case? If so, is the course still interesting? Do you guys enjoy it? I've spoken to quite a few people doing legal and they all seem to like it...so i'd like to have a better understanding of what's involved....

Mc_Meaney

Banned
HSC
The course is MOSTLY based on NSW.

There are key pieces of legislation and key precident cases that have affected NSW that are involved in the LS Course. It is a good course, year 11 can be a bit dry, but year 12 is pretty fun, but take note this is very dependant on the teacher you have - we have a fun teacher whilst I've read other people say that the legal class is boring because they have a shit teacher, so yeh...You're best bet is to talk to the teachers, and yeh....

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
Legal was my favourite subject!
If you like it you can do well in it. I managed to get 97.
year 11 was pretty dry
but year 12 is great!
crime is interesting
plus your school chooses 2 options
I personally liked consumers the best :)

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
i originally thought it was boring.. and i chose it as something i would drop in year 12 in fact.. ended up dumping chem instead.

workplace (elective which not many ppl do) tends to sway more to federal.. due to all those IR laws..

i guess take into account: what you want to do, if you think you'll like it and if you think you can score well in it (those who think that way).

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Its not really any more boring if you focus on NSW or other states in Australia. The reason it is based on NSW law is because you are studying in NSW and there would be little point studying SA law etc...Even at uni if you do study law, you might touch on other states law but you generally focus on where you are, there is just too much overlap and diversity.

You do deal with federal law as well with family law etc depending on ur topics etc.

I enjoyed legal heaps because I was and am interested in law, if you want an idea of what's involved check out this thread I threw together and see if it helps. http://community.boredofstudies.org...uld-i-do-legal-studies-questions-answers.html

Good luck :)

topdeck

HSC
Thanks for all the help guys! Now i understand what the course involves, i think i'd really like to give it a go, its sounds really interesting.

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
topdeck said:
Thanks for all the help guys! Now i understand what the course involves, i think i'd really like to give it a go, its sounds really interesting.
Yeah topdeck i definetly recommend it! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)