• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Open Foundation (1 Viewer)

duffy102

HSC
Heya

I was wondering if anyone knows or has parttake in the open foundation entry scheme offer by the university of newscastle? Thank you for your time. Have a good one : )

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
I haven't, but quite a few of my friends have. They all seemed to enjoy it, but beware, in OF they tell you your courses are accredited for credit against 'true' uni subjects, however many friends have applied for credit in a variety of subjects and were rejected because OF isn't 'really' uni

duffy102

HSC
hey again

I was wanting to get into diagnostic radiography is it hard. I went to the website and read on open foundation, but Im still abit unsure about somethings. Sorry is your friends doing OP online or on campus, i was wanting to do it by distance as i am from sydney. Thank you very much for your help. : )

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
Everyone that I know that has done it did it on campus, I didn't even know you could do it by distance. Hmm, ya learn something new every day.
As for DR, I don't do it so I can't comment on its difficulty, but from what I can tell its not the most taxing of degrees. I think for first year at least all the MRS streams have the same courses, and there also seems to be a fair bit of prac scattered throughout the degree, my second yr DR mate is out at the moment and he seems to be enjoying it.

duffy102

HSC
Thank you very much hipsta_jess, i was just wondering with your comment earlier, about the credit points, can you please elaborate on it thank you. And also do u live on campus sorry? thank you :)

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
No, I don't live on campus

With credit, what I meant was the uni grants you 'credit' for subjects if you've done substantially similar subjects before, so you don't have to do them again (eg, I did PSYC1010 and PSYC1020- introductory psych last year, which means I get out of doing PSYC1030- general psych next yr). When you're doing OF, say you do sociology, *apparently* they tell you that you can get credit for it if you get accepted to uni, so say your course requires you to do SOCA1200-Health sociology you wouldn't have to do it. However, the uni rejects applications for credit from OF courses, because they have deemed them to be not academic enough, not 'real' uni.

I don't think that made sense, but I hope it did.

duffy102

HSC
Ah i get you. Thank you very much. Sorry another question, once i finish OF is it easier to get into the degree i want? SOrry about all the question. Thank you very much for your help, i really appreciate it. :)

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
I really have no answer to that one...one of my friends did it, then got into BSc, and then transferred to a forensics course at a different uni, she missed out on getting straight in, so I guess you still have to do reasonably well, and with DR losing their selection interviews it will be that much more difficult for you, but if you have sufficient academic achievement you shouldn't have too many problems (even if you have to do a more generic degree for 12 months to get some 'real' uni experience and transfer from that...remember theres always back doors!!)

PrincessSJ

Work. Inn. Buy Shoes
HSC
duffy102 said:
Ah i get you. Thank you very much. Sorry another question, once i finish OF is it easier to get into the degree i want? SOrry about all the question. Thank you very much for your help, i really appreciate it. :)
Once you finish OF you go up against everyone else who wants to get into that course (OF students, HSC students, any other randoms etc etc). So if you really want in, work your butt off in OF. If they see that you're a hard worker (D average) on your transcrpit, you have more chance of acceptance.

Good luck!

duffy102

HSC
PrincessSJ said:
Once you finish OF you go up against everyone else who wants to get into that course (OF students, HSC students, any other randoms etc etc). So if you really want in, work your butt off in OF. If they see that you're a hard worker (D average) on your transcrpit, you have more chance of acceptance.

Good luck!
Heya Thank you for that. Btw sorry do u live on campus? thank you : )

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)