• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

opinions on repeating yr12 (1 Viewer)

hart2hart

HSC
If you didnt pass the hsc, is repeating a good idea if your determined enough?

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
hart2hart said:
If you didnt pass the hsc, is repeating a good idea if your determined enough?
Repeating is an option, but if you can get into university (even a different course or uni) then it would be better to do that than repeat.

An example would be a girl who was in my Ext 2 maths class - she was repeating all of her subjects apart from english and performed slightly better in all of them. However that year the cut-off for her course rose slightly above her new UAI. If she had instead done another related degree right away then she would have had as good a chance (if not better) at entering her desired degree with credit. Instead she spent a year working her butt off, and instead had to settle for the alternate degree anyway...

Of course the flipside is someone who was ill in their HSC and became ineligible for a UAI, repeated and got 99.75. However the difference is she didn't have her full HSC/UAI in the first place.

So its a decent idea if you are very determined, and none of the other options will work for you. However there are alot of options available - read this guide to alternative pathways if you have any interest in these options. It is very likely that some will apply to you.

Last edited:

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
I would only consider repeating if I could not get into uni at all...even if my UAI was in the low 60's i could get into science at UWS and work my ass off and transfer into where i really want to go

hart2hart

HSC
thanks, i wasnt sure if i should persuade them to repeat or not. the uai was below 50, and wont be able to get into any course at all. tafe is an option, but to get into uni from tafe is hard as well. is there a limit of how much you can earn in the following year if you repeat?

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
hart2hart said:
thanks, i wasnt sure if i should persuade them to repeat or not. the uai was below 50, and wont be able to get into any course at all. tafe is an option, but to get into uni from tafe is hard as well. is there a limit of how much you can earn in the following year if you repeat?
Tafe isn't the only other option, there's non-award, SWIC, UniAccess, Open Education ... its all in the link and someone with a UAI of 50 can still use those options. It also isn't that hard to get from TAFE to uni.

Anyway, there is no limit as to how much money you can earn during the HSC but there is a limit as to how much you can earn before centrelink benefits start to reduce. I think its something like 120 a week. If you receive this centrelink benefit then many of your course fees will be waived, if you don't receive it then you pay the full amount.

hellomike

HSC
It's hard to decide to repeat Year 12 because everyone else in the form has not even experienced what university is like. I knew two friends who repeated Year 12 but they had to be more determined to make it. I think if you repeat Year 12 it is much harder than university. The reason being is you are doing a number of subjects again and you have to go through those exams again. Whereas at university, you are concentrating on a course you have interest in and you experience the flexibility in time.

I think it's hard for all Year 12 students especially when you are not told about other options at university. That's what most students think that it's to end all be if you don't get that UAI. There are things to be aware of and for example, USYD's flexible scheme where you can still gain a place within 1-5 UAI points (with the exception for some courses).

Although it is unfortunate not to make a particular course, choosing a similar one somewhere else can give you the chance of doing well.

"Chubby"

HSC
where are u considering repeating?

at tafe? ur HSC school? different school?

HSC
I did crap.. i had a below 50 UAI

and I decided to go to a business college and worked my arse off and look where I am now... Macquarie University doing International Business.. the cut off was 90.00 at the time '2004' so.. anything is achievable

Sprinkles~

splashing in puddles
HSC
hart2hart said:
I suppose it comes down the individual, so some things to consider would be.

Why is it that they went badly this year? Is it something that they can fix/change next year and therefore come out with better marks in the end? Or is it something that's likely to occur again, or perhaps cause them to go worse. If they come out with worse marks, those are the marks they are going to be stuck with so it could end up being something they regret a lot.

Would they have the motivation to put themselves through the HSC again? That's really the most important thing to think about because really, repeating the HSC would feel like a step backwards so it would be really hard to actually motivate yourself to put in the effort to get better marks. I did Pathways and even though I wasn't repeating subjects, 2 years of the HSC is VERY hard work - they would probably be better off taking some other alternative pathway.

There are heaps of paths to where you want to end up in life, so let them make up their own mind. Otherwise you could end up persuading them to repeat, they could come out with worse marks and waste an entire year. If they repeat it would have to be something they decide to do on their own if its going to work out for them. They'd need a hell of a lot of determination and will power to get through another year of the HSC.

PrettyVacant

HSC
I know this guy who got a mystery mark the first time, he didn't try at all. But then he tried the next year and got 89. =)

turtleface

HSC
I knew this guy who got a 94 but decided to repeat (he was like really young anyway)

lol. I think he got into his course the second year.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
hellomike said:
It's hard to decide to repeat Year 12 because everyone else in the form has not even experienced what university is like. I knew two friends who repeated Year 12 but they had to be more determined to make it. I think if you repeat Year 12 it is much harder than university. The reason being is you are doing a number of subjects again and you have to go through those exams again. Whereas at university, you are concentrating on a course you have interest in and you experience the flexibility in time.

I think it's hard for all Year 12 students especially when you are not told about other options at university. That's what most students think that it's to end all be if you don't get that UAI. There are things to be aware of and for example, USYD's flexible scheme where you can still gain a place within 1-5 UAI points (with the exception for some courses).

Although it is unfortunate not to make a particular course, choosing a similar one somewhere else can give you the chance of doing well.
Um, except uni subjects also tend to have tons of exams...

synthesized

HSC
N/A
i had the choice of repeating yr 12 or doing an alternate degree at uni and then transferrring to my preferred degree. i chose to repeat because i wasn't ready for uni (hence why i did poorly in yr 12 the first time).

i'm glad i chose to repeat yr 12 because it made me change my attitude to study. i realised that, like most things in life, success takes hard work, dedication and intensity. if i went to uni straight after 'failing' yr 12 i probably would have brought my attitude with me and performed even worse at uni.

plus, haing good yr 12 results stays with you for the rest of your life, it's a big positive mark on your name.

HSC
N/A
I'm glad you got a lot out of your HSC the second time around, but I must disagree. Once you go to uni, no-one will EVER ask what your UAI or HSC marks were. Ever.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
I agree with glitterfairy - the UAI/HSC becomes incredibly useless once you're in the course you want. At best you might get a small handful of the people who got 99+ being nosy about it, which usually stops after a few weeks. Otherwise, no student, lecturer, tutor or future employer will care about your UAI/HSC marks.

synthesized

HSC
N/A
glitterfairy said:
I'm glad you got a lot out of your HSC the second time around, but I must disagree. Once you go to uni, no-one will EVER ask what your UAI or HSC marks were. Ever.
maybe so. but your yr 12 results are still a sort of trophy. you may wish to keep it hidden but it's still there in your mind as a reminder of your achievements and what you are capable of.

besides, even if noone asks for it, you can still put it on your resume if you wish. you might be looking for your first grad job with not a lot to put on your resume, so having a good UAI would surely be useful in this situation...

i'm just saying there are more benefits to having good yr 12 results than just getting into the degree you want.

hellomike

HSC
withoutaface said:
Um, except uni subjects also tend to have tons of exams...
Tons of exams but look at how much time you get at university to go over your work? Your not at university Monday to Friday so I'll rather do uni exams than the school's.

It's a reminder than you have done well at school but 5-10 years down the track, are you still going to remind people you got that certain UAI? Everything becomes yesterday's news and you got to build your achievements. What does the UAI give you in terms of experience...?

Sprinkles~

splashing in puddles
HSC
Without Wings said:
Exactly. It's the same as the SC becoming worthless once you do your HSC. If you move onto a higher level of education then no-one is interested in your previous results, they are only interested in your current academic results.
I am so glad that's true :D

If my Year 12 marks were going to effect me in later life, I'd be totally screwed.

hart2hart

HSC
wow. well its not me that repeating, though my folks were considering i should after they talked to people about it. i had some issues in 2006 that screwwed my hsc, they dont know about, if they knew, well i'd be even more screwed hehe.. anyways, in the end my sister talked my folks out of it, saying i still can get into uni with it, its not a bad UAI, and not a great one either, but i can transfer degrees if i try harder in uni. the thing is i'm positive i could get so much better if i repeated, but then whats the use hehe, i didnt know what i wanted to do in the first place. =P. but a friend of mine, i'm trying to help them atm, cause they are not sure what they want to do. tafe said it was too full to do that course, which is pathology at ultimo full time. so.. the thing is i believe that person can do better, but they dont want to do it alone =\, ahh i dunno, i think i found that there were some spots for part time. what ever decision they are gonna make, they need to make it soon!! >.<!!
btw thanks for all your opinions about it =)

Dimsimmer

Random User
HSC
If repeating yr 12 is the best option for them and if they are motivated enough to study and are not concerned about fitting in to their school, then i would think that they should go for it if they are happy to do so.

But if that was me, then I wouldn't go through all that trouble of doing the hsc a second time because:

- You would be one year behind the people in your grade who have graduated and you are stuck at school.

- I believe that 13 years of school is enough and that I would get sick and tired of spending another year there. Its time to move on.

- I wouldn't like to experience the stresses of the HSC year again.

Ultimately, its the individuals decision as to whether they want to repeat Year 12, but they should also consider other options such as INSEARCH, SIBT, TAFE etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)