• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

People doing law for the $$$/career prospects (1 Viewer)

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
azn_spirit said:
Just becoz you learnt Legal Studies 4u english and aced it in the HSC doesn't mean you will make a better law student then people that did 4u maths and 2u english, stuff learnt in HSC mean nothing in uni and i can tell you that knowing good english won't mean much, instead its rather learnt and developed over time doing countless essays and stuff. Btw theres a small number of ESL student doing Law at UTS and they've been going quite good.
Just so no-one gets the wrong information, that opinion is wrong.

It does make a difference as to how you will find law depending on your English ability.

azn_spirit said:
Still good career prospects and $$$??? that is such a joke man...its hard to make lotz in Law, you have to be good and somehow stand out and thats hell difficult in law. I reckon that Law is more of a prestige thing and I doubt many people would want to go through those 5 awful years (assuming they don't appreciate law) just for the prestige.

Its a joke man...if I got 99.25 and did 4u maths and 2u english...chances is I'll do Optometry or Pharmacy or dentistry or even medicine instead of going for law :p that earns more money.
Again, your lack of knowledge (with the legal profession) has the potential to mislead people. Like anything, to be successful you have to work hard. But assuming you do work hard, law is a high-earning field. It depends of course on where you choose to work, like anything. If you work for a suburban conveyancing practice sure you won't make as much. But if you work for a large firm, persistence will see you earning a good amount. It depends on many factors; not only is it oversimplifying things to say "you will/won't make money in law", but the fact is it is a high-earning field.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Considering the average pay for people in the legal industry is $1200/week before tax It is a fairly high-paying industry.

It all comes down to a mix of factors;

- How hard are you willing to work.
- How good are you at your work.
- How well can you sell yourself.
- Market Demand (Demand in the legal industry IS high)

I suggest checking out -> http://jobsearch.gov.au/joboutlook/default.aspx?PageId=AscoDesc&AscoCode=2521

People would probably say "you won't make money being a plumber", my dad did his plumbing apprenticeship through Mt Druitt tafe and is now taking home $2000 a week and running a business with a turnover of 4million.

You got an impressive uai mate but don't talk about things based on assumptions.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
regardless of the above comments by my learned friends, i despise the CRIM I course, the exam of which is tomorrow :(

*tears hair out*

santaslayer

HSC
MoonlightSonata said:
Like anything, to be successful you have to work hard. But assuming you do work hard, law is a high-earning field. It depends of course on where you choose to work, like anything. If you work for a suburban conveyancing practice sure you won't make as much. But if you work for a large firm, persistence will see you earning a good amount. It depends on many factors; not only is it oversimplifying things to say "you will/won't make money in law", but the fact is it is a high-earning field.
Lawyer's incomes are above avearge in Australia, yes, but the amount of time and effort they spend on studying and then working then raises the question of whether they should be compensated more either monetarily or, by other means. When the incomes of lawyers in Australia are compared with other countries, it is hard to say that lawyers in Australia are a 'high earning' occupation. There has been a significant brain drain of Australian and New Zealend lawyers all wanting to pursue their careers in countries like HK and England basically because of the substantial difference between what they can earn here, or overseas.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
santaslayer said:
Lawyer's incomes are above avearge in Australia, yes, but the amount of time and effort they spend on studying and then working then raises the question of whether they should be compensated more either monetarily or, by other means. When the incomes of lawyers in Australia are compared with other countries, it is hard to say that lawyers in Australia are a 'high earning' occupation. There has been a significant brain drain of Australian and New Zealend lawyers all wanting to pursue their careers in countries like HK and England basically because of the substantial difference between what they can earn here, or overseas.
Regardless of other countries, in comparison to other professions within Australia, law is a high-earning field.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
melsc said:
I have been for work experience, legal studies excurison and for assessments
Personally I think it depends on the case...I find family law cases boring except when I saw this lady try and read an essay she had written about what justice was (contested divorce and she was representing herself) Criminal ones are always interesting and it is not always the facts of the case...I saw the DPP have a hissy fit bcoz his evidence (which was a video tape would play)

For me its interesting but maybe I am a freak :D

Mock Trial cases were the funniest bcoz the law society tried to make them funny like Lymp V Bisket...a larceny case over a $5 wiggles casette...our witnesses used to make it funny as well especially in cross:
Barrister: So you served him light beer?
Witness: Yea
Barrister" Fosters?
Witness: Yes
Barrister: well fosters dont make light beer
Witness: Well I give him full strength and tell him it is light

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
melsc said:
Thats what I tried to tell them...but since they were guys and we were gals they thought they knew more abt it than us...I think it was De La Salle
Which one?

Jonathan A

HSC
bustinjustin said:
Yeah
these people piss me off
at this time of the year in yr12 there's all these randoms who suddenly want to do law just for the money/prestige
often they're the science-types who do 4u maths and only 2u of english (and hence won't necessarily appreciate law)
but they'll get kickarse uai's and get into law easily
Yeah

Don't worry mate. I recieved a UAI below 90 and am doing law. Happy with what I am doing.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
They'd most certainly be better than the 99.xxers that decided to do law because they didn't want to 'waste' their UAI.

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
i will have to agree with you ont hat one :D

but those arses who do that just for the sake of not wasting their uai shit me.

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
Hey I did 4u English. I also did Legal Studies, which is why I'm doing Law now at uni. I find it interesting. Ah well, if they're in it for the money, let them be. They'll all end up working contract law and similiar, or for some big ass company for the first ten years where all they do is the shit jobs. Me, I feel like criminal law, but we'll see.

I reckon all the BOS members who graduate law should start their own firm. :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)