• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Physicist Vs Engineer (Salary) (1 Viewer)

Joel8945

HSC
this is the best i could find on physicist salaries:

PayScale Australia - Doctorate (PhD), Physics Degree Salary, Average Salaries

Australia Research and Development Salary Information at MyCareer

Australia Scientist Salary Information at MyCareer

no idea how reliable they are. here are some stats on general engineering salaries (although it depends on your major):

PayScale Australia - Bachelor of Engineering (BE/BEng) Degree Salary, Average Salaries by Years Experience

Engineering Salary Information - Updated Weekly at MyCareer

engineers also have the opportunity to move into management positions in later years:

Management and Supervisory Salary Information at MyCareer

Project Management Salary Information at MyCareer

i would imagine working as a research physicist would require a PhD, and would be much more competitive than engineering, but if you're good you'll probably be able to get paid well after some years experience. my advice to you would be to study a combined degree in engineering and physics if youre worried about pay. this greatly broadens your career prospects anyway, and will guarentee a secure job. the downside however is that it takes 2 years longer to complete.
Thanks for the post!!! I definately expect that this field will be highly competitive. In my bachelor of science degree I'm doing advanced physics and with a 39 as my study score, I heard about a person who is going there with a 49 for their study score:eek:! So the competition is going to be way more intense.

Joel8945

HSC
According to the statistics provided, an average physicist's salary is basically on a par with or slightly 'higher' than that of your 'average' engineer! Whoa.

gcspsp

HSC
According to the statistics provided, an average physicist's salary is basically on a par with or slightly 'higher' than that of your 'average' engineer! Whoa.

Yeah coz years of experience = multiplier for income.

Oh lol at Miner's post.

darkchild69

Nanotechnologist
HSC
I got 4 mates finishing up their Ph.D in nanotechnology this year, done some interesting research!

2 of them have secured research positions within the uni, getting paid decent (approx 55k) Not sure if they are doing any lecturing.. But i think it is something like $100/hr for lecturing and $75/hr for tutorials? Pretty good :) 1 x 3hr lecture everyday and you'd be cheering :)

They have kinda talked me into going back and doing my PhD, which i'm going to commence in 2011.

Really, do something that you will enjoy doing, that is my best advice. I started off doing software engineering thinking it would be a good salary, i quit after a year cuz i hated it, switched to nanotechnology, enjoyed it, completed it, did teaching, enjoyed it, completed it, now teaching and doing a post grad business degree to expand my horzions and then doing my PhD in nanotechnology in 2011.

I'd also look into doing a combined Business and Science degree, just having that business experience could help you move up the ladder quicker i reckon

Joel8945

HSC
I got 4 mates finishing up their Ph.D in nanotechnology this year, done some interesting research!

2 of them have secured research positions within the uni, getting paid decent (approx 55k) Not sure if they are doing any lecturing.. But i think it is something like $100/hr for lecturing and $75/hr for tutorials? Pretty good :) 1 x 3hr lecture everyday and you'd be cheering :)

They have kinda talked me into going back and doing my PhD, which i'm going to commence in 2011.

Really, do something that you will enjoy doing, that is my best advice. I started off doing software engineering thinking it would be a good salary, i quit after a year cuz i hated it, switched to nanotechnology, enjoyed it, completed it, did teaching, enjoyed it, completed it, now teaching and doing a post grad business degree to expand my horzions and then doing my PhD in nanotechnology in 2011.

I'd also look into doing a combined Business and Science degree, just having that business experience could help you move up the ladder quicker i reckon
Thanks for the advice. To do nanotechnology don't you need chemistry? Or can studying quantum mechanics and particle physics be enough?

I like the sound of your friends research positions! $55k and $100 per hour for a lecture and $75 per hour for tutorials.

Again thanks for the advice and I would welcome more people who can share their experience in these fields.:)

hotdimsim

HSC
P.S. engineering grad salaries are not all that great...around the 45k mark.
Depends on marks, stream chosen, job given etc.

The current median salary for graduate engineers (according to Engineers Aus)
is roughly 55k. My cousin started off on 60 as a graduate mechanical engineer for Lend Lease.....

darkchild69

Nanotechnologist
HSC
Thanks for the advice. To do nanotechnology don't you need chemistry? Or can studying quantum mechanics and particle physics be enough?

I like the sound of your friends research positions! $55k and $100 per hour for a lecture and $75 per hour for tutorials.

Again thanks for the advice and I would welcome more people who can share their experience in these fields.:)
I really suppose it would depend on what branch of nano you intended on doing. If you were to go into the materials side, then yep, chemistry would be essential! But if you are looking into stuff like optics, photonics, engineering etc... It really wouldnt be neccesary, but would help i'd imagine :)

I only did about 4-5 chem subjects in my undergrad, but it will be enough to get me through what i intend on doing :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)