• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Pollination help. (1 Viewer)

Twickel

HSC
So pollination is how a plant lets out its pollen ( sperm for plants) when an animal or the wind gets the pollen it takes it to a female plant of the same species. So then the seeds are produced. So for example a Banksia plant their are two genders right a male and female.? Sorry Im not sure because my text book has one plant with female and male organs.

Can anyone help me find plants that have good information on its pollination its seed dispersal and diagrams of its sexual organs. ( must be Australian)

Twickel

HSC
Banksia is done. Just need another its hard finding all three parts. I find pollination but no seed dispersal. I find the diagram with no infor. Oh well.

johndownes

HSC
Every flower has male AND female organs, so they can release pollen and also become fertilised.

asdf.cosmo

HSC
Plants with both reproductive systems are called "perfect" flowers.
These can self pollinate or cross pollinate.
The female organs are the stigma, style and ovary - inclusive of ovules.
The male organs are the anthers.

An imperfect flower has either the pistil (female organs) or the stamen (male organs) These must cross pollinate.

Pollen from the anthers is moved by the wind or by insects or birds. The insect or bird then moves onto the next flower, knocking off some of the pollen off its head that can land on the pistil. Then a seed is formed, the flower dies, and the seed drops to the ground.
In fruits, an animal will consume the fruit and excrete the seed somewhere away from the mother plant. This helps distribution.

http://www.agen.ufl.edu/~chyn/age2062/lect/lect_15/22_62.GIF

Twickel

HSC
Ok, so I have golden wattle, when I touch it all the yellow powdry stuff comes of is that the pollen produced by that plant?

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Twickel said:
Ok, so I have golden wattle, when I touch it all the yellow powdry stuff comes of is that the pollen produced by that plant?
You also touched sperm.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)