• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Possible Atheist Group (1 Viewer)

Belcameron

HSC
Hello,

I am Cameron Cook, I am responsibly new to University life and am majoring in History and Political Thinking.

I have a few things that I want to put forward today, I am also going to organize a get together at University but thought I would first dip my toe in the water and ask around to ask the University Community at large a few questions. In the last few months I have noticed a very large religious influence at the Penrith Campus, now I am not here to debate beliefs since that is just a waste of time over the internet.

Now after noticing conversion attempts being forced on random walkers at the Campus it started to make me feel very uncomfortable, I always thought of University as a place for secularism and that religion should be kept very separate. I am going to throw a few questions to readers of this thread and I would be more than happy to receive inbox's for further conversations.

1) Does a Atheist or purely Secular group exist at the University? I have looked but literally could find nothing, since the CBM managed to get Atheists for a debate I thought surely such a group exists but I haven't had much luck. If a group existed I would be more than happy to join.

2)If a group doesn't exist, would it be something that fellow Atheist are interested in? Starting a community for fellow Atheist where we can share idea's and act as a balance for Religious influence. I am not expecting to have huge debates and fights breakout, I see it as more a organization to promote a positive view of Atheists and if people which to ask questions they can look us up and ask.

3)What would you like to see in a Atheist group? what sort of activities would you like that sort of group to do and how would that activity benefit the group?

4) Would religious groups at the University find this offensive? if so, then why?

I am new to the forums here, I am not sure what kind of response to expect. What I have done is made a email where you can send any inquiries too, feel free to post here on the thread but because of my schedule I cannot guarantee how fast I will get around.

Regards,
Cameron Cook
Email: Cameroncook90@live.com
or just send an inbox on this website.

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
whilst im not atheist myself let me just say that your concerns about the conversion attempts is entirely legitimate. A few friends and I were also confronted with this situation at parra campus where, despite the fact we were obviously uncomfortable and made it clear we were not interested, some people kept harassing us to listen to them about their religion and shoving pamphlets in our faces lol, so i can understand your annoyances

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
You may want to look at some of the other unis as case studies, a few already have secular societies and/or atheist groups. Wollongong definitely has one that's fairly active.

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
Fair sure there is an atheist group in USYD, I would actually be keen to listen in on their regular debates with the Christian group.

Dan895

HSC
Uni Grad
Is there something like a secular student alliance at UNSW, that is so me next year! Or an atheist group for that matter?

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Wait, we don't have an atheist group???~

Brb, filling in forms to make atheist group ~~~

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)