• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Predictions for this years final q (2 Viewers)

dunjaaa

HSC
well, lets just hope its not probability, otherwise i'd probably be fucked

braintic

HSC
N/A
Why are people saying Conics won't be in next year?
It is in for AT LEAST 2 more years.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Why whats with conics? Its like free marks. I mean its basic manipulation of algebra.
It's one of those topics where you either fully get it and everything is easy, or you don't really get it and everything is difficult. I've found that with students, there's no real 'in between'.

The majority of students are experiencing the latter.

emilios

HSC
Why whats with conics? Its like free marks. I mean its basic manipulation of algebra.
It's not that it's hard. In fact, learning it was quite straightforward. We all know how to find the equations of tangents and normals, set discriminants = 0 and solve simultaneous equations.

It's just boring, tedious algebra bashing that's time consuming in the exams. This is probably the biggest contributor to 'silly mistakes'. And when they try to be tricky with you and give you off-centre ellipses and hyperbolae. Ugh.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
It's not that it's hard. In fact, learning it was quite straightforward. We all know how to find the equations of tangents and normals, set discriminants = 0 and solve simultaneous equations.

It's just boring, tedious algebra bashing that's time consuming in the exams. This is probably the biggest contributor to 'silly mistakes'. And when they try to be tricky with you and give you off-centre ellipses and hyperbolae. Ugh.
And by 'they' I presume you mean school exams? It has never been in examined in the history of the current conics syllabus, which was implemented in 1980 iirc.

emilios

HSC
And by 'they' I presume you mean school exams? It has never been in examined in the history of the current conics syllabus, which was implemented in 1980 iirc.
Yes haha, it was in my trial. I had no clue it hadn't been in any of the past HSC's. Really thought it would've.

I still stand by my opinion though. Conics is the ugly child that was fed dog food growing up and always smelt.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Yes haha, it was in my trial. I had no clue it hadn't been in any of the past HSC's. Really thought it would've.

I still stand by my opinion though. Conics is the ugly child that was fed dog food growing up and always smelt.
It can be very pretty sometimes, I've got a real beauty in this year's BOS Trials.

I like to think of it as the child who has the potential to become a great person, but is often mistreated (like you said) to the point where it's almost impossible for it to grow up as a great person.

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
There are some fantastic conics questions that can be made. It's just that conics is one of those topics where you really need a good insight into it to be able to come up with these results.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Conics wasn't that bad a topic lmao. There are some nice questions in past papers for them.

However the annoying thing is that there aren't too many different types of questions for conics in past papers so sometimes students find it a hit or miss situation.

EDIT: By hit or miss I mean that most of the time its a proving question and many students find they have an inability to prove the question after staring at it too long (like how sem 1 uni physics is like where you think more than write) and then just move on.

Last edited:

dunjaaa

HSC
Probably a hyperbola and an ellipse mixed with reflection property, oh god the tears. It kind of sucks that there are limited questions on this property.

dunjaaa

HSC
lemme guess, based on the last 2 years of BOS trials, I'm guessing the last question will be complex numbers/polynomials lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)