• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Private School Scholarships (1 Viewer)

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Why do you think private schools offer scholarships every year? Out of the goodness of their hearts or what?

mitchy_boy

blue
HSC
Make themselves look good duh. Because if they don't get them, the top selective schools will get them.

Quite frankly I don't get the whole private education system, and I'm horrendously confused as to why the government funds them.
If all that money went into the public system, and maybe a little better management, I think our public education system would be a lot better off.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Quite frankly I don't get the whole private education system, and I'm horrendously confused as to why the government funds them.
The Coalition looks after their constituency - the rich. The model of funding using very distorted criteria of need says the Private Schools are needy and the Public are not so much so. The funding was to make private schools more accessible (affordable). Didn't anyone notice private school fees over the last 5 years have shot up way above CPI. The Labor Govenment did not dare to remove this "Rob Paul to pay Peter" handout. Well that's politics for you.

The private Schools will say: yes, we have done our part by providing scholarships. But the scholarships are seldom on the basis of needs and more on how they can infuse their ranks with those that will make them look good.

Last edited:

swizzler

Banned
HSC
Make themselves look good duh. Because if they don't get them, the top selective schools will get them.

If all that money went into the public system, and maybe a little better management, I think our public education system would be a lot better off.
if private schools closed down

all the private school students would have to go to public schools

and the government would be even more out of pocket and unable to cope.

Last edited by a moderator:

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Lol ,definitely not because of the goodness of their hearts. Most just pick off good public school students, one from each area to cover all bases to make their school look good. E.g they normally give at least three, one for a really academic person, one that's really good at music and arts and one that's really good at sport. They hit the jackpot when they find someone academic and music or academic and sporty.

I don't believe the government should fund private schools at all. But you Uncle John Howard was so good to them, not surprising so many private school people liked him.

I could have gone to a private school if I liked, but I chose not to. I believe in public education and think it is important. It makes me cringe how some families struggle to pay exorbitant private school fees for multiple children. They should save that money for other enriching stuff like extracurriculars, an overseas holiday or save it for uni. I think the diversity within in public schools is good. I will never send any of my kids to a private school, cause then I'd be a sell out to my beliefs.

bitumen

HSC
yeah ok, if the government stopped funding private schools the fees would skyrocket and only the super rich would be able to afford it.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
I think the federal government gives more money to private schools than public school which is ridiculous imo.

asymptotic

HSC
private schools produce students that are not as smart but more well rounded people
top selective public schools produce the highest ATARs but less well rounded people
the other public schools... well i don't know what they produce

I think if you're a rich parent, and you can afford to send your kid to private school, you'd do that because not all rich kids are bright enough to make it into the top selective schools. There are also kids from rich families who made it into top selective schools but whose parents send them to private schools anyway. The life expeirence they gain / friends they make via private school is totally different to the public school experience.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
^What great generalisations there are there. Pretty sure, you know the few hundred "other" public schools have produced well rounded people and high ATARs.

I go to a non selective, regional public highschool and it's ranked better than partially selective and an agricultural HS. I think it has produced well rounded people...more rounded than some rich kids that gets all their own way or some selective school kids who have just been pushed by their parents. You can't just generealise...well rounded people have come out of selective, partially selective, religious independants, private and public school.

A large part of school is what you make of it...some kids would hate and get nothing out of school from West Wallsend to La Rosey.

twistedrebel

HSC
the story that if government stopped funding private schools, sure fees might rise a little but majority of the people would still stay in private and only some would move. And even then they might just move to cheaper private schools.

Most local public schools in HSC classes have 5-10 people in many classes, well below the supply curve. Even if some students move, the public sector would easily handle it as there is plenty of space avaliable. The government will then might be able to fund more senior campuses like blackwattle etc that will encourage efficient allocation of resources.

As a public school graduate, i think public schools are filled with life experiences, from the emo kids, to the druggie kid, to the bully etc. Makes one alot more prepared. Send your kids to a average (not ghetto) co-ed schools, its the best thing you can do for your kid.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)