• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Private vs Selective (Which do I choose?) (1 Viewer)

hi_998

HSC
Hey guys!
so yesterday i was offered a spot at santa sabina college, which is a prestigous private school, 38k per year. I currently go to a somewhat average selective school, but wanted to try move schools as my school is weird and doesnt let us choose chem,physics,ext 1 math and english.we have to go through exams and applications for only 10% of the grade to be chosen. they look at ur yr 9 and 10 marks, and i find it annoying as i did bad in yr 9 and only am doing good now, so i won't get in considering my yr 9 marks were awful.

santa sabina college has offered me ext 1 math, and physics (the subjects i want to take but can't at my current school) but whats bothering me is how expensive it is and i feel bad for my parents paying alot. like with that money i can purchase different things. at this point, it looks like we r payng js to do subjects my school can't offer us.

im trying to move to a higher selective school but its so so hard, and chances r low. santa sabina said that if i accept, i have to start in term 3!!
so guys should i stay at my school or move?

Duskheaven

HSC
If your parent's aren't insanely wealthy, stay at your current school. The 80,000$ would easily afford to give you the tutoring required to get a 99+ ATAR if that's what the family prioritised + the start on a house deposit + probably all the tutoring required to get HDs on all your subjects + a university scholarship. The chance you would get 80k returns on your investment just to do science subjects would be basically 0.

With 10k at $50 an hour, you can get a private tutor almost every day of the year for 1yr.

With 80k, you can even do remote learning at your current school (I believe) if they have 0 chance of accepting you and just get a tutor.

The purpose of private school isn't for the courses in this instance, it's to have a rich social circle - sometimes that is a worthwhile investment.

Also 80k isn't just "80k," it is also the future profits on that 80k through investment (~roughly doubling in value every 10yrs).

(ultimately, your parents decide though)

Last edited:

spiderfan44

HSC
Hey guys!
so yesterday i was offered a spot at santa sabina college, which is a prestigous private school, 38k per year. I currently go to a somewhat average selective school, but wanted to try move schools as my school is weird and doesnt let us choose chem,physics,ext 1 math and english.we have to go through exams and applications for only 10% of the grade to be chosen. they look at ur yr 9 and 10 marks, and i find it annoying as i did bad in yr 9 and only am doing good now, so i won't get in considering my yr 9 marks were awful.

santa sabina college has offered me ext 1 math, and physics (the subjects i want to take but can't at my current school) but whats bothering me is how expensive it is and i feel bad for my parents paying alot. like with that money i can purchase different things. at this point, it looks like we r payng js to do subjects my school can't offer us.

im trying to move to a higher selective school but its so so hard, and chances r low. santa sabina said that if i accept, i have to start in term 3!!
if youre motivated youll do fine in selective. it also helps a bit with uni bcuz youre used to having to work on your own and without much assistance, whereas private school kids are used to getting more assistance and slump a bit in uni

the 38k could go to getting a high quality tutor who will help u out more than i think private would

Average Boreduser

Rising Renewal
HSC
if youre motivated youll do fine in selective. it also helps a bit with uni bcuz youre used to having to work on your own and without much assistance, whereas private school kids are used to getting more assistance and slump a bit in uni

the 38k could go to getting a high quality tutor who will help u out more than i think private would
From personal experience, private schools have way more commitments such as sport outside school (sometimes needing to travel all the way from kings to like cranbrook to play certain games on a saturday), cocurricular for a select few asw which also takes 2hrs out of your week (not including the 3/4 for sport and 2hrs for training for said sport). Then duke of ed comittments, trainings for competitions (not compulsory but still needed if you do intend to do a comp), on top of all this, we have systems in place that actively monitor our focus in class that notify parents if our 'effort grade' is too low for a certain semester. If anyhting, private schools assist more/the same as one in a selective. Although I believe the private school environment is more relaxed and simulates the environment in uni much more since there are less sweaty academics who don't care about anything BUT academics. From what I've uncovered through bos threads, apparently people care less about ranks and stuff so naturally, people are gonna be less grade focused.

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
From personal experience, private schools have way more commitments such as sport outside school (sometimes needing to travel all the way from kings to like cranbrook to play certain games on a saturday), cocurricular for a select few asw which also takes 2hrs out of your week (not including the 3/4 for sport and 2hrs for training for said sport). Then duke of ed comittments, trainings for competitions (not compulsory but still needed if you do intend to do a comp), on top of all this, we have systems in place that actively monitor our focus in class that notify parents if our 'effort grade' is too low for a certain semester. If anyhting, private schools assist more/the same as one in a selective. Although I believe the private school environment is more relaxed and simulates the environment in uni much more since there are less sweaty academics who don't care about anything BUT academics. From what I've uncovered through bos threads, apparently people care less about ranks and stuff so naturally, people are gonna be less grade focused.
At the end of the day, a selective school is still a public school so there's inevitably less 'support' and 'resources' outside of academics compared to a private school, but depending on the school there's still a lot of commitments like sports and cocurriculars (my school had a ton of support for duke of ed for example). Another thing is that I found my (selective) school environment to be relaxed anyway and I never felt overly stressed because of it - the cohort did care about their academics in terms of studying for them and arguing for higher marks where they deemed fit, but there were times people would muck around, just play games in class and inevitably slack off (I've been guilty of all three).

Ranks and grades kinda have a relationship but it's not so pronounced, as a lot of people don't tend to understand ranks or the alignment process

spiderfan44

HSC
yea in private school its easier to do well as you have more resources than selective, but im saying that if youre motivated and put in effort, you can still do just as well as someone from a private school.

WeiWeiMan

HSC
yea in private school its easier to do well as you have more resources than selective, but im saying that if youre motivated and put in effort, you can still do just as well as someone from a private school.
selective kids are prob pretty motivated and are good students anyway
also 5 diff tutoring centres should be able to provide enough resources

HSC
Hey guys!

wtf do you mean your school doesnt let you pick chem, phys, e1math and english??? third world problems :lol:

Test-king12

Banned
HSC
Hey guys!

why dont you just go to private school???

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)