• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Proactive (1 Viewer)

LexxY

s2 Ralf. Marry me!
HSC
I think you mean strong as in 'it is really effective'. It is a very gentle product really, but some people find it very effective. Strong products are more damaging to the skin and are likely to cause more skin problems. :)

LexxY

s2 Ralf. Marry me!
HSC
The_highwayman said:
Vitamin E is really good for ur skin.
It encourages cells to regenerate.
U could give that a try.
I've been told that vitamin E is bad for acne ridden skin.

kittycat552

I definately second the notion of going to the doc/derm for acne...don't fuck with your body anymore than it's fucking with you. Get what is definately going to work (antibiotics, accutane, benzac ac, proactiv) and use it rigorously...you will see results within a couple of months. I've always had really mild acne but last october my skin went nuts and broke out like a slut...very nasty. So i went to the doc and got isotrexin gel...this stuff is absoutely the shittest product ever. It's basically a very strong alcohol gel that burns to high heaven and made my face a thousand times worse. Then i got antibiotics (doxycycline) off my family doc and i've been on them for 5 months...and coupled with using the proactiv cleanser and exfoliating very gently every day, clinique moisture surge gel and spot treating with benzac ac 5% (10% is wayyyyyy too drying) my skin is pretty much completely clear. Trust me, this regime takes time...but it definately works. I'm contemplating going on accutane when i see the derm next month for my oily skin...i doubt i will get it though given i have no acne. And that's my rant.

fnkychk

HSC
N/A
You want accutane for oily skin?! You clearly have no idea what you're talking about if you think you can say that antibiotics and proactiv are a definite solution.

Wow. I guess you should research stuff before u use it

kittycat552

fnkychk said:
You want accutane for oily skin?! You clearly have no idea what you're talking about if you think you can say that antibiotics and proactiv are a definite solution.
Hello, i definately know what i'm talking about...3 people in my family have been on accutane and i've seen the amazing results...and accutane is prescribed these days for excessively oily skin...my doc told me that pearler. And trust me, nowhere did i say that antibiotics and proactiv are a definite solution. I know that the second i come off them and stop using proactiv, my skin will be shit. I don't know where u got that from. And oily skin is the root cause of acne, so stopping that is the logical idea if antibiotics will quit working (which they inevitably do).

marchetta

shut up and do me
HSC
Your skin is a reflection of what is going inside your body, so you need to look at what you eat as well as what you put in. Get plenty of fresh air, excercise and eat heaps of fruit and vegetables to help clear up your system. If you want to take doxycycline/roaccutane for your skin, you can if you want, but its not something i would ever recommend.

LexxY

s2 Ralf. Marry me!
HSC
Well drink lots of water and eat well no matter what ure skin is like. Chocolate and chips do not = bad skin. It just gives u bad health and make's you run down, and when ure run down u usually break out.

kittycat552

marchetta said:
Your skin is a reflection of what is going inside your body, so you need to look at what you eat as well as what you put in. Get plenty of fresh air, excercise and eat heaps of fruit and vegetables to help clear up your system. If you want to take doxycycline/roaccutane for your skin, you can if you want, but its not something i would ever recommend.
This is the common analogy that clear-skinned people use to explain why people with acne get acne...and fair enough, diet is true to some extent, but if you're prone to acne and have the genetics to get it, then there is NOTHING you can do for it than use topicals and antibiotics/accutane. I do nutrition at uni and i ate mega healthy last year but continued to break out nastily, and now this year when i am clear-skinned, i eat healthy but still indulge occasionally (and fairly often with alcohol) and still it doesn't affect how my skin is much. And what do you suggest that people with bad acne do for their skin? Do you think they should suffer and eat lots of fruit and veg because alot of people with severe acne do this, and when it's that severe, there ain't nothing that's gonna help it but prescription medicines...no amount of fruit n veg, liver cleansing and supplements is going to help.

Ranger Stacie

hollaback girl
HSC
proactive was on the news the other night did anyone else see it?, some chick with reasonable skin, by no means with severe acne took it, thinking it would give her flawless skin, and it actually ended up giving her acne which she still suffers from months and months later

LexxY

s2 Ralf. Marry me!
HSC
It wasn't the news, it was Today Tonight. Yeah I saw it too.

She was probably allergic to the product and didnt test patch it or anything. Or she built up an 'intolerance' very quickly.

Ranger Stacie

hollaback girl
HSC
LexxY said:
It wasn't the news, it was Today Tonight. Yeah I saw it too..
pfffft. you knew what i meant.

LexxY said:
She was probably allergic to the product and didnt test patch it or anything. Or she built up an 'intolerance' very quickly.
I don't think an allergic reaction would last that long

kittycat552

em_516 said:
i saw that too..i heard that with proactiv, your skin gets worse before it gets better..she probably got to the 'worse' stage, pulled out, and then got stuck with shit skin

i feel sorry for her though, her skin was fine before :(
You are spot (excuse the pun) on there...as with all acne treatments, your skin will get worse before it gets better...it's termed the nasty "initial breakout" and happens with everything from roaccutane to antibiotics to proactiv, etc. Unfortunately if your skin is bad in the first place (which i presume it woule be taking something like accutane) the initial breakout from that drug is known to leave you with very nasty scarring which takes a long time to heal.

em_516

bludging..
HSC
i saw that too..i heard that with proactiv, your skin gets worse before it gets better..she probably got to the 'worse' stage, pulled out, and then got stuck with shit skin

i feel sorry for her though, her skin was fine before :(

LexxY

s2 Ralf. Marry me!
HSC
Anything that promises "YOUR ACNE IS ALL GONE IN WEEK" is complete bs and will eventually damage ure skin.

With most proper skin treatments will make your skin worse before it gets better. That is what my dermo told me when I started using Differin, and then another product called Clindetech.

Yeah I knew what you meant, I was just clarifying for others :p Or my other theory was she used it like more than twice a day, thinking it would help her skin. That isn't any good with ANY product... ALWAYS FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS!

Lol I wish I was getting paid for promoting proactiv, then I could go winter clothes shopping lol. I use it *key words coming up... drum roll* .... and it works for me.

No skin care regime will work for everyone. People are saying "go to the dermo straight away" and I agree with that. But just dont go and get skin antibiotics. You need to compliment that with a PROPER skin washing regime, that is gentle yet effective. Unless of course your dermotologist tells you: YOU CANNOT COMBINE THIS WITH YADA YADA.

Last edited:

kimmi06

HSC
I applaud Jessica Simpson, P Diddy, Tyra Banks, Alicia Keys and any other lame artists who wishes to endorse Pro-Activ, cause yeh- it does work. Dries your skin out for a bit but it comes good fairly quickly. My skin is 100% clear now and I owe it all to Pro-Activ, it tamed my skin. (In case you couldn't tell, I was ripping the shit out of Jessica Simpson just then).

Gangels

HSC
Do you know wats best for your skin? Water. Thats why we get this shit. Cause we drink sugar and nothing else. Have around 8 glasses of water a day, and you'll save money and time in the shower.

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
you are wrong, i drink alot of water, more than any1 i know and ive been doing it for years. Why do i do it? well it has nothing to do with my skin and something to do with how my kidneys work

basically what your talking is shit, only a quality cleanser and toner [ or drugs] will fix up your skin, not water.

LexxY

s2 Ralf. Marry me!
HSC
Water just makes you hydrated. Dehyrdration makess your hole body suffer, not just your skin. Lack of water doesnt mean you get more pimples, it just means ure skin looks dull and u feel like crap, and prolly have a headache which makes u grumpy and focus on mini shit pimple.

And Kimmi, I didnt buy it because of the celebrities. I bought it for the same reason as I bought Garnier Pure, Johnsons ph 5.5, cetaphil, nuetrogena deep clean, nuettrogena blackhead cleanser, clarins face wash, lalise and dermalogica : I was trying it to see if it worked ( johnsons, nuetrogena deep clean and cetaphil were recommended by my dermo ). And it did. As well as 2 different perscriptions for my skin, I finally found something that works.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)