• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Problem installing XP on SATA (1 Viewer)

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
I've got an SATA HDD and just tried to install Windows XP professional on it, but it comes up with a message saying it can't find the hard drive and it needs to restart the comeputer, even after I press F6 at the start to indicate that I would like to install 3rd party SCSI/RAID drivers, and install them from my Abit floppy disk that came with the motherboard. Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong?
Cheers,
Justin

JimmyK

Narrabeen, Sydney/Maitland, Hunter Valley
HSC
hmm.. that sounds a bit sus.
I had the same problem when installing XP on my SATA drive for the first time, but I just followed the same process you have done (after doing a bit of light reading) and it worked.
You might need to make sure that you have the right drivers (eg dont install RAID drivers if your not using RAID on ur hdd), or else, download the latest drivers and just stick them on a floppy disc. If you had a CD that came with your motherboard, that might have the required drivers on it.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Nope they don't:S I might just use one of my IDE drives and install it on there first.

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
yes, the default winXP cd doesn't have SATA drivers. cause SATA was released after winXP.

either get a new WinXP CD with the drivers on it, or get a floppy disk with the drivers

EDIT: didn't read your post fully

Last edited:

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
The thing is that it's the SP2 CD, and I only bought it a few days ago, and I do have a floppy with the drivers, it still won't work:S

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
withoutaface said:
The thing is that it's the SP2 CD, and I only bought it a few days ago, and I do have a floppy with the drivers, it still won't work:S
what errors does it say with the drivers on the floppy?

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
It asks me to load the floppy, i select the drivers and it loads them, and then when it boots into setup it tells me it can't find a HDD.

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
withoutaface said:
It asks me to load the floppy, i select the drivers and it loads them, and then when it boots into setup it tells me it can't find a HDD.
Hmm.... never had that before, you prolly just need different drivers. look up the abit website again.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Damn I don't think my kernel was compiled to support FAT
*sigh
*recompiles kernel

LoneShadow

Uber Procrastinator
HSC
N/A
withoutaface said:
I've got an SATA HDD and just tried to install Windows XP professional on it, but it comes up with a message saying it can't find the hard drive and it needs to restart the comeputer, even after I press F6 at the start to indicate that I would like to install 3rd party SCSI/RAID drivers, and install them from my Abit floppy disk that came with the motherboard. Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong?
Cheers,
Justin
U need to configure your comp's BIOS properly in order for your comp to detect SATA HDDs. I had the same problem and when I asked a few geeks they told me to get thhis file and dat file and shits like and make a boot floppy.......BUT...I found my own solution. Just get inot BIOS set-up [I'm sure u knu how to do dat]. Then select "Integrated Peripherals" press enter: then select "On-Chip IDE Configuration" press enter: In here change the value of "ATA Configuration" to "P-ATA Only"; and the value of "S-ATA Keep Enabled" to "Yes"; and the value of "P-ATA Channel Selection" to "Both"

Now go back to the main BIOS page and set your comp to start from the SATA HDD [whatever it's name is. This is if you want to format it and install windows on it. Otherwise just start from your old HDD and when windows has loaded; your SATA HDD should be listed as well.]

Save and reboot.

Hope it helped.

grimreaper

HSC
I had big problems installing xp on a sata hard drive too... in the end I think it ended up being because of the raid settings in the bios or something (even though I dont use raid)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)