• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Procrastination (1 Viewer)

matchalolz

HSC
lol. First semester 1 HD, 1 DN, 1 CR, 1 UF

gg engineering.

squar3's logic: fails 1st sem phys -> takes the higher course next semester :p
hey squar3 :) if you don't mind me asking, how did you go in that computing course?

I've heard that engo is pretty hard hehe if you get HDs all the time then you have no life. YOu look like you sort of have a life

cub3root

HSC
N/A
hey squar3 :) if you don't mind me asking, how did you go in that computing course?

I've heard that engo is pretty hard hehe if you get HDs all the time then you have no life. YOu look like you sort of have a life
1917 was gg so I went to 1911 and did alright. I got like 74 (iirc) fak lecture pls giv 1 moar mark. was generally an easy course

I have no lyf spend it all the time on bos

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I almost forgotten I just recently wrote a bit on this topic-below is an extract from my senior study guide which you may find helpful. For the full guide which includes heaps of useful study tips, feel free to click on this link: http://community.boredofstudies.org...w-excel-senior-year-studies-yr-11-12-a-5.html

REDUCING PROCRASTINATION

1)Set goals and stick with them-essentially this might be academic or related to extra-curriculars or your health, make sure you establish realistic short term, mid term and long term goals and stick with them until you achieve them. As a part of this you will need to make a sustainable study timetable/plan of some sort to manage your time efficiently and effectively.

2)Remove distractions-whether it be the compulsion to go on Facebook (perhaps try to log yourself out and remove the messenger app on your smartphone if you have one), removing your laptop from your sight if you don't need it, make sure that your table has only what you need and nothing what you don't need. If your study environment is noisy, perhaps try listening to some meditative/relaxing music or book a study room in a local library to study. Sometimes group studying can be an option as well-you might feel more motivated studying with friends.

3)Self-Discipline and Determination-this last point is perhaps the most important. At the end of the day, we all procrastinate, even I am guilty of the crime. However, you must try to develop a strong sense of self-discipline in making sure you achieve your HSC goals. This means that whenever you are conscious you are procrastinating, you stop the act and go back to study. There are three to four months worth of holidays at the end of the HSC waiting for you, you will have plenty of time to rest then. To earn the break without regrets you would/should have done better, the only way is to study as hard as you can while taking care of your body at the same time.

cub3root

HSC
N/A
I almost forgotten I just recently wrote a bit on this topic-below is an extract from my senior study guide which you may find helpful. For the full guide which includes heaps of useful study tips, feel free to click on this link: http://community.boredofstudies.org...w-excel-senior-year-studies-yr-11-12-a-5.html

REDUCING PROCRASTINATION

1)Set goals and stick with them-essentially this might be academic or related to extra-curriculars or your health, make sure you establish realistic short term, mid term and long term goals and stick with them until you achieve them. As a part of this you will need to make a sustainable study timetable/plan of some sort to manage your time efficiently and effectively.

2)Remove distractions-whether it be the compulsion to go on Facebook (perhaps try to log yourself out and remove the messenger app on your smartphone if you have one), removing your laptop from your sight if you don't need it, make sure that your table has only what you need and nothing what you don't need. If your study environment is noisy, perhaps try listening to some meditative/relaxing music or book a study room in a local library to study. Sometimes group studying can be an option as well-you might feel more motivated studying with friends.

3)Self-Discipline and Determination-this last point is perhaps the most important. At the end of the day, we all procrastinate, even I am guilty of the crime. However, you must try to develop a strong sense of self-discipline in making sure you achieve your HSC goals. This means that whenever you are conscious you are procrastinating, you stop the act and go back to study. There are three to four months worth of holidays at the end of the HSC waiting for you, you will have plenty of time to rest then. To earn the break without regrets you would/should have done better, the only way is to study as hard as you can while taking care of your body at the same time.
strawberrye you've done it again :D

I particularly agree with 2) and 3)

iStudent

HSC
There's a lot of different strategies to combat procrastination, so different methods work for different people. A lot of my friends go to libraries because they get distracted easily and procrastinate at home. Try removing distractions from your desk (i.e. laptop, phone) when you study. There's also apps called self-control that block certain websites so if you're on your laptop, you can stop yourself from getting on BoS or Facebook.

Also delete certain apps that are distracting off your phone. I did that for trials and it worked really well. The addiction was pretty bad at first, but you eventually get used to it.

Maybe look at how to manage your time better, so evaluate what was bad and good about the study habits and what steps you can take to fix it. Sorry for the vague advice, if you gave more detail I could try and offer some better advice ^_^
Yes! I use this app alllll the time because I'm that bad at stopping myself from procrastinating on my phone haha. (Unfortunately, I'm yet to find a file that works for the school laptop which blocks most applications requiring installation :()

enoilgam

HSC
Here is a copy of a post I made a while back:

With procrastination, you will procrastinate no matter what - it is a part of human behaviour. The key with procrastination is to manage it so that it doesnt become harmful. In order to do this, focus on the setting up your work in such a way that it encourages you to work harder. As mirakon has said before, the HSC is all about attitude. Break the work down into small achievable goals. If you achieve these small goals you will feel much more confident with work and this will increase your morale and motivation. Remember, the best way to defeat an enemy is to cut off their strategy - the worst way is to take them on head-on. Procrastination's strategy is like a snowball, the more you put off doing the work, the larger your workload becomes, thereby further crippling your desire to do the work. To beat it, you attack it's strategy and prevent the snowball from getting bigger by chipping away at the work.

There is an old saying which goes "it's easy to commit to an idea, but it's hard to commit to a process". To commit to the process of doing well, you need to focus on the work itself - having long term ATAR goals is all well and good, but they often fail to motivate people in the day to day process of studying.

I know it seems like I am talking shit, but I actually used this strategy and I found it to be highly effective.
I know I post this up a lot, but I really think that procrastination has more to do with how you manage your work as opposed to stuff like goals and aspirations etc. The latter is usually what gets you to sit down at the table to study, the former is what keeps you there.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)