• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Professional Attire? (1 Viewer)

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
I have a group interview for coles myer and it said to wear what you consider to be 'professional attire" which makes me think for a suit or something...which sounds like overkill. I have been to a one on one interview with them last year and was successful in smart casual clothes. I just dont want to over/under dressed...any tips?

Atticus.

how do i get out of this
HSC
my opinion would be to go in something like
fitted pants (black)
long sleeve tight fitting colour tee. possibly red.
heels but not too high

my girlfriend wore that to a group interview that said professional attire and she looked professional while at the same time not too over the top. she got the job

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
I wear a suit to any and every job interview, because it's better to be overdressed than underdressed, and it makes it look like you care about impressing the employer.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
as Waf said, better to be overdressed, than underdressed, at least women dont have to wear tie's, tie's are annoying when it's hot

fnkychk

HSC
N/A
i like to laugh at the dopey guys who over-dress and show up in suits, like they think dressing up is all that's required to make a good impression.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
yeah, your appearance means a lot. if you just walk in in your usual day wear, jeans, singlet top, the employer will not think very highly of you. think from the employer's perspective: if you were employing you, what would you want yourself to be wearing? lol.
I think if you wore a tailored skirt or trousers, low, closed in heels, a nice blouse or knit top, do your hair and makeup properly and wear some simple jewelery, you'll be fine. A full on suit probably isnt necessary for this sort of thing but you want to make the best possible impression you can.

fnkychk

HSC
N/A
pride and effort in your appearance.
And whether you care greatly about your appearance is of much importance to any employer.

I wore a suit and was successful
Cause and effect? No

Dressing up to a level that is appropriate for the kind of position you're applying for is what you should be aiming for, not just "monkey has interview, monkey puts on suit".

Excalibur_

Not an Executive Member
HSC
There's something I hear said all the time: "Dress at a level two steps above that you're applying for"

pete_mate

HSC
natstar said:
Dressing up is an important part of making an impression. What you are like can be assessed straight up by your appreance and dressing up shows that you put pride and effort in your appearance.

Mmm last interview I went to was for a grad position and it required 'business attire"..I wore a high waisted black pencil skirt, black long sleeved collared button up shirt, black pantyhose and black high heel points....
no waaay,youve got it all wrong.

you have to dress to suit the culture of the workplace, whatever that may be.

if its casual, go smart casual, dont wear a business suit.

its like this guy that turned up in a suit for a job interview for cd's at jb hifi, no way did he get it.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Excalibur_ said:
There's something I hear said all the time: "Dress at a level two steps above that you're applying for"
So if I'm applying to be a waiter I should wear full court dress?

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
fnkychk said:
And whether you care greatly about your appearance is of much importance to any employer.

Cause and effect? No

Dressing up to a level that is appropriate for the kind of position you're applying for is what you should be aiming for, not just "monkey has interview, monkey puts on suit".
I know that it is not indicative of a causal relationship. I was just summing up what happened quickly and I was dressed pretty much the same as every other person. If it did not say professional attire I would have gone smart casual, I was taken aback by the required attire myself, I did not see it suiting however they do require for Myer etc and the interviewers and other interviewees all pretty much were in suits or similar. Please don't misrepresent what I said.

Nashie

Ace up my sleeve
HSC
From my experience in seeing a number of vacancies filled at my work place (Harvey Norman) if you want to even hand in a resume at somewhere higher than maccas, wear at least a nice shirt (button up) guys or a nice shirt (girls) professional, not slutty or anything! and nice pants, not jeans or the like!

Even if you don't see the boss the staff will always comment, I get asked to and I give my opinion of how the people looked etc someone wearing jeans and a shirt gets a, "didn't look to interested" v someone wearing a shirt,etc "they looked like they are professional and they have obviously put in some effort

This is coming from someone who has had to comment on who we get in the last 2 people, other than that I have seen my sister dress nicely and not sluttily or casually and get a job when she did not have a degree like a lot of the other applicants (public service)

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
fnkychk said:
It may not seem that important, but it shows that you care about finer details than just simply doing the bare minimum/standard. Besides, in most professions, and even the one this topic is related to (ie. retail), appearance is an important part of the job.

fnkychk said:
However you do raise a good point there. It all depends on the job and the kind of culture there is at the place, but if the letter said business attire- I'd think a suit isn't too bad an idea (but bare minimum would be proper black pants and a white long sleeve shirt with clean face, tidy hairstyle, etc..). Although with Summer, I'd lose the tie unless it was for a professional job.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)