• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Property law cases (1 Viewer)

Marmalade.

HSC
N/A
For Contracts, there was the Ellinghaus book, which I loved.

Is there one for property law that anyone knows? Please don't recommend Australian Property Law: Cases and Materials because that doesn't have many important cases, and of the ones it does, it usually only includes a paragraph or two.

I hate having to search online for cases, and then either having to waste heaps of paper printing or read it on the screen.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
Peter Butt, Land Law, ISBN: 0455221022
Gray et al, Property Law in NSW, ISBN: 9780409322941

subdued123

HSC
Can I ask why the fixation with cases?

Property law is one of those subjects where the rules are quite simple. There is really no need to read slabs of judgments, nor is there any need to really pick out the nuances, save for a few cases.

If you're talking equity, Constitutional law, fair enough.

Just interested in how people approach law is all.

Marmalade.

HSC
N/A
Frigid said:
Peter Butt, Land Law, ISBN: 0455221022
Gray et al, Property Law in NSW, ISBN: 9780409322941
Land law isn't a casebook.

subdued123 said:
Can I ask why the fixation with cases?
I like reading cases. I feel that my knowledge is better when I've read cases. And essay-style questions on the exam require me to read cases.

Aren't the rules always simple? I can't think of a circumstance where I've not understood the rules until I read the case?

Now that I think about it, I actually didn't read many cases for Constitutional. I just made do with the extracts. I think that's because I didn't find the subject very interesting and the judgments were always extremely long.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
Marmalade. said:
Land law isn't a casebook.
neither is the Gray book... you didn't make it clear that you were after a casebook. :p

Marmalade.

HSC
N/A
Can't you guess that when I'm asking for a book so I can read cases, I want a casebook?

I'm not sure if there is one anyway. Why is there one for Contracts? Do most unis use that Ellinghaus one?

hfis

Dyslexic Fish
HSC
N/A
I think we all need to step back and ask ourselves what the officious bystander would say here.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
Marmalade. said:
Can't you guess that when I'm asking for a book so I can read cases, I want a casebook?

I'm not sure if there is one anyway. Why is there one for Contracts? Do most unis use that Ellinghaus one?
i suggest a four-prong test to solve your problem:-
1. Go to your uni bookshop
2. Browse the law books section
3. Look through the different books on property law
4. Identify, through objective criteria, which would be the best and most suitable property casebook for you, and
5. Purchase it.

Problem solved.

I'm just not smart enough to answer the remainder of your questions.

hfis: yeah i wonder why there appears to be a sudden influx of... certain types of people.

Marmalade.

HSC
N/A
Frigid said:
i suggest a four-prong test to solve your problem:-
1. Go to your uni bookshop
2. Browse the law books section
3. Look through the different books on property law
4. Identify, through objective criteria, which would be the best and most suitable property casebook for you, and
5. Purchase it.

Problem solved.

I'm just not smart enough to answer the remainder of your questions.

hfis: yeah i wonder why there appears to be a sudden influx of... certain types of people.
I try to be polite to you about your unhelpful suggestion and now you're being a smartarse. What is the 'certain type' of person you're talking about?

subdued123

HSC
Marmalade. said:
Well, I think some of the reactions you've received are justified - you have been a little too blunt and rude to people.

I don't think your manner is doing you no favours.

People here try to answer questions out of goodwill. They're not being paid. If an answer is unsatisfactory, don't be sarcastic or negative.

And if you did not intend to convey such an impression....you need to consider carefully how you write.

Last edited:

Marmalade.

HSC
N/A
subdued123 said:
Well, I think some of the reactions you've received are justified - you have been a little too blunt and rude to people.

I don't think your manner is doing you no favours.

People here try to answer questions out of goodwill. They're not being paid. If an answer is unsatisfactory, don't be sarcastic or negative.

And if you did not intend to convey such an impression....you need to consider carefully how you write.
thank you for your contribution to this thread.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)