• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Psy 104 Pplz! (1 Viewer)

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
if you want references and research n stuff...

find one article and then there's a crapload of references (articles in the back of that article)

and then more references in the new article u get

and the spiral goes on n on

I only ever read 3 articles and but used about 10 or so references for mine... i dont think u need to research that much for a first year psyche subject??? i could be wrong... things might've changed this year

CieL

HSC
lmnopq - what.... THE? They clearly stated you could use road rage in the prac booklet! Hmm.. I have another friend that told me she did "behind the wheel".. wonder how she's going with that.. =S

lmnopq

HSC
its beyond me why they would include it in the three options if they don't want us to do it...!!! i'm pretty annoyed about that... but i'm gonna stick to my topic simply because i've done too much research

mary jane it would be really appreciated if u could send me ur essay just so i know i'm going in the right direction... my email address is notanotherlovesong@hotmail.com

and clairegirl your suggestion worked! i looked in the references of articles i already have and found some more articles with great info!

thanks everyone for all your help!

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
lmnopq said:
its beyond me why they would include it in the three options if they don't want us to do it...!!! i'm pretty annoyed about that... but i'm gonna stick to my topic simply because i've done too much research

mary jane it would be really appreciated if u could send me ur essay just so i know i'm going in the right direction... my email address is notanotherlovesong@hotmail.com

and clairegirl your suggestion worked! i looked in the references of articles i already have and found some more articles with great info!

thanks everyone for all your help!
hehe im glad it did...
i've got my road rage essay as well... but its my draft for some reason i've only got my road rage essay (in its submiitted form) as a hardcopy...

lmnopq

HSC
well if its not too much trouble clairegirl, could you send me your draft? i'm sure it will be helpful even if its not complete... i could have a look at your references! haha

thanks heaps xox

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
lmnopq said:
well if its not too much trouble clairegirl, could you send me your draft? i'm sure it will be helpful even if its not complete... i could have a look at your references! haha

thanks heaps xox
yeah hey mate i sent it.

As you can see it's in its very very very draft form :s

CieL

HSC
I just looked at the format.. and wouldn't an abstract and the intro be similar? I feel redundant...

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
CieL said:
I just looked at the format.. and wouldn't an abstract and the intro be similar? I feel redundant...
Hey mate nahh your introduction is well an introduction ... mainly talking about other people's research and different views in breif

whereas your abstract would also include your conclusions and sometimes a quick run down on ur methods (if its a report it would have your findings and a quicky summary of results/conclusion)

eg in your intro you would talk about two diffferent extreme views (research thats already done) and maybe a view in the middle and your conclusion you'de be like which view is right or if you wanna be smart about it.. says its an amalagamation of views... i.e with road rage i think my conclusion was that yes its situational factors which are the underlying factors but you gotta take into consideration the exacerbation role that personality factors have on road rage as well.

I could type up my abstract from my psy104 essay if your desperate.

TalkieToaster

HSC
Schoolyard for me. Plenty of references!

It's a shitty question though really.

Cyan_phoeniX

HSC
N/A
lol. i cant believe they decided to use road rage again.

I only have my essay on hard copy, my laptop has crashed many times since then, so the electronic form has gone to e-heaven, along with all the drafts. RIP.

lmnopq

HSC
thanks a bunch to MaryJane and Clairegirl! they are such smartiepantses!

i'm confused about the whole abstract thing! the essay is not based on our own research... so do we speak about methods that other people used?

on a totally unrelated topic (don't want to start a new thread) anyone know where i can get statistics past papers from? i tried getting it through the library catalogue but it won't let me access it.

And can we please have a minute of silence for Cyan_phoenix's laptop :( RIP

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
lmnopq said:
i'm confused about the whole abstract thing! the essay is not based on our own research... so do we speak about methods that other people used?

on a totally unrelated topic (don't want to start a new thread) anyone know where i can get statistics past papers from? i tried getting it through the library catalogue but it won't let me access it.
Hey Hayley

Lol my other explanation on abstract/intro sucked ass (MaryJane, Cyan help me out here! lol)

I'm just going to type up my abstract for u okay. Frankly I think it's all choppy and it doesn't flow and I'de be shot if I handed it in like this in third year especially if Kymbra the evil nazi woman marked it but for first year it should be okay (my tutor wrote good underneath and put double tickie things on it)

Road rage is defined as a loss of control over one's rationality and involves the overt dispaly of these emotions towards other motorists. Road rage is becomming an increasing epidemic in our society, especially in city and urban settings. This essay investigates the extent to which road rage is an extension of personological variables specifically age, gender, socio-economic background and personality or a product of situational characteristics such as competing pressures of urban life and more immediate factors such as pollution, temperature and traffic congestion. It will be argued that situational stressors act as the underlying aggressive cues for road rage however ignoring personlogical variables would limit our understanding and their exacerbation role in influencing the extremity of aggressive cues an individual is liekly to percieve and thus express in their driving behavior.

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
lmnopq said:

And can we please have a minute of silence for Cyan_phoenix's laptop :( RIP
Haylez what statistics subject? STAT170?

Goto e-reserve

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
No problem Hayley, anytime! I just hope it helps you out! :)

As clairegirl said, use e-reserve and there are exams from 1998 or something unhelpful like that.... Actually, they were really great past exam papers - just do them over and over and over and over again ;)

And the abstract. Its basically a summary of EVERYTHING you talk about. I havent had to do an abstract for an essay since PSY104 (only ever do them for reports, like in PSY105), so I'm just piecing it together from memory with regards to essays. But basically, you outline the previous findings: whats been said, whats been found and how reliable it is (ie. whether its been replicated several times, or just once). Also, dont just present positive findings, also note the opposite findings, so it shows a degree of critique. Then state your argument, which is best done very obviously: It will be argued etc etc (as Clairegirl did).

The detail in the abstract obviously changes depending on wordcount. Usually you'll be given between 100 - 200 words, so you have to be really, really succinct. Just state the outline of your essay - only mention information that is contained in your essay.

The best way to work out what to say, and how to word it is by reading other articles abstracts. Once you've done that, you're pretty set as to how to word it and how to make it all fit, and work out what has to be mentioned, and what can be omitted.

Sorry I cant be of much more help! Come and talk to me when you're doing psych reports :D

CieL

HSC
*sigh*

Do you need to reference in your abstract?

Or is that a nono?

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
for reports... urrm i have... like if u use someone else's scales i would eg "utilisation of the Posner's (1993) blah scales ...blah blah were used"

In an essay i wouldn't....

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
I just finished writing a report and I didnt reference anyone... I think its supposed to be a collection of the ideas you will later explore, so I wouldnt. Its like referencing people in an intro to an essay - its bad practise. The abstract is there to give the reader a "sneak peak" of what you're going to talk about, so I wouldnt. And I dont.

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
hrrm yeah i agree with mj, don't even use them even for reports, i have referenced breifly in an abstract before but i only got a credit for that particular report ... so it was probably one of the many things that was wrong with my report

lmnopq

HSC
hi guys.. ok so ur gonna be really disapointed in me (especially maryjane and clairegirl)

it looks like i'm gonna get penalised coz im handing my essay in late :( this is the first time in years that i've handed in an assignment late! i just found this essay so hard (maybe coz i had a gap year and i've totally forgotten how to write essays and i wasnt too good at them in the first place!) and i have been sick coz of the change in weather. i didn't think of getting an extension because i thought i would be able to handle it...

anyway does anyone know how much i'll be penalised? i looked in the unit outline and next to essay it says half mark for each day... does that mean 50% off or half of one mark off?

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
lmnopq said:
hi guys.. ok so ur gonna be really disapointed in me (especially maryjane and clairegirl)

it looks like i'm gonna get penalised coz im handing my essay in late :( this is the first time in years that i've handed in an assignment late! i just found this essay so hard (maybe coz i had a gap year and i've totally forgotten how to write essays and i wasnt too good at them in the first place!) and i have been sick coz of the change in weather. i didn't think of getting an extension because i thought i would be able to handle it...

anyway does anyone know how much i'll be penalised? i looked in the unit outline and next to essay it says half mark for each day... does that mean 50% off or half of one mark off?
half one mark off

and don't worry hun, sooner or later one goes through the stage of handing in an assignment late, just don't make it a habit ;).... how many days late is it? and its only one half mark for each day, not 50% off! :p that would really unfair if they gave you 50% off ur total mark!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)