• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Question? (1 Viewer)

VegemiteLoverGB

HSC
Sorry, just a hypothetical question.
Say you've come first overall in a subject
But in the HSC Exams, you dont do that well, and you don't come first.
Can you still get a half decent mark?
Cheers

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Of course you can - you get the top exam mark as your own internal mark and keep your own external mark.

Say the top external mark was 96 and your exam mark was 70 - the average of those two marks is 83 - not a bad mark is it?

VegemiteLoverGB

HSC
Alright thanks a lot mate.
But what happens to my assessment mark? Does that only get used if said mark is higher than the highest exam mark?

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Alright thanks a lot mate.
But what happens to my assessment mark? Does that only get used if said mark is higher than the highest exam mark?

Your assessment mark will be the highest exam mark - as I said before say the top exam mark was 96 then that exam mark becomes your assessment mark and then you keep your own exam mark.

The mark that is sent in by the school is actually irrelevant. What they need marks for is to determine ranks and importantly the gaps between the ranks. They could just as easily ask the schools to send in the students' ranks with a - to indicate the difference e.g. 1st, 2nd - 5 meaning that 2nd was 5 marks behind first but instead they ask for marks. One school might send in 90 and 85 while another might send in 70 and 65 - same difference in marks so if they end up with the same exam marks e.g. 87 and 84 then both would get the same marks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)