• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Questions about University and Hecs (1 Viewer)

clissold

HSC
I will, hopefully, be attending USYD or UNSW next year in Engineering (flexible year - only because I don't know what I want to do). I have many questions:
SAME..!! Initially, I really really really wanted to do engineering (not sure what type exactly but leaning towards civil) at UNSW or USyd but I wasnt sure which was better..

And now Im also tossing up between these two and the UOW due to its really good social life..

What do you all think..?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Go UNSW. There is no question about it. GO UNSW.

And then you can say Hai to me. Added bonus.

jamesfirst

HSC
Its abit biased about unsw students recommending unsw

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
1. I've got friends that do Engineering that go to both Universities, and they both enjoy their courses, more or less equally. To be honest, I doubt there's too much difference between the two, so I agree with your teacher - go to the University which is most convenient for you. And also, getting to see Shadowdude at UNSW, not exactly the best thing going for it.

2. I have no idea with regards to your second question, however, you can phone UAC between 8.30am and 4.30pm Monday to Friday (Sydney local time) by calling +61 2 9752 0200.

3. You can begin applying about August (if I remember correctly), and you have to launch an application by about November, otherwise you're charged a late fee, however, you don't have to finalise your choices til about January 5/6 next year.

Last edited:

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Its abit biased about unsw students recommending unsw
Well do some research then.

If you're super lazy, just read the Good Uni Guide - and that'll get you on the right path... to UNSW, because it says it's better there.

HSC
Uni Grad
Well do some research then.

If you're super lazy, just read the Good Uni Guide - and that'll get you on the right path... to UNSW, because it says it's better there.
heh if you don't want to read the GUG, talk to shadowdude, since he's the Mr GUG :p

shady145

Banned
HSC
Civil Engineering with Architecture looks like an awesome course.
I've got a few friends doing that.. they are getting raped.

UNSW has the largest engineering faculty in Australia, It used to be ranked number one in terms of engineering (in Australia), but now placed second to Umelb.

the good universities guide has comparisons... about the universities as a whole http://www.gooduniguide.com.au/rati...Y/?studyType=UG&state=NSW&actionSearch=Search

Or if you want to look at the information for the faculty of engineering and technology. (i dont know where they get these figures from)
UNSW : http://www.gooduniguide.com.au/ratings/institutionFOS/UNSW/UG/13
Usyd : http://www.gooduniguide.com.au/ratings/institutionFOS/SYDNEY/UG/13

Deathless

HSC
I will, hopefully, be attending USYD or UNSW next year in Engineering (flexible year - only because I don't know what I want to do). I have many questions:

1. Which Uni is better for engineering?? I was hoping to get into USYD because it's more prestigious and has a famous history. But UNSW doesn't look too bad, in fact the ATAR cut off is much lower (not for flexible year, for overall) than Usyd. They also advertised it better in their booklets.

2. I am Permanent resident and will be sitting my Citizenship test in December. Hypothetically speaking, say I did not get my citizenship before I go to uni. Does that mean I have to pay the full Uni fee and unable to apply for Hecs once I enter the uni premise? Can I apply for hecs after I have enrolled into uni?

3. When do I apply for universities and how many unis do I have to choose??
For the USYD and UNSW question. I would say, depends on where you live. Some people I know would not go to UNSW or USYD as they cbb traveling so just went to Macquarie. Nice and near. Less time traveling may equate to better grades. A question that applies to most people, is would you want to travel 2 hours a day?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)