• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Quick question on subject selection (1 Viewer)

gettinbetter

HSC
Will it be more beneficial for my course if I ace a lower units or just pass harder units of the same criteria/category ?
For example;
If I choose Math1001 and receive Credits (i.e. a mark of 60~), will it be better than if I choose Math1011 and receive Distinctions (i.e. a mark of 80~) ?

deterministic

HSC
Employers generally don't care about the difficulty of the courses you do so marks are the only thing that matters. If you feel you will score higher with the lower version then do the lower version.

Having said that, higher units usually scale better than lower ones to compensate for the difficulty. It is generally easier to score high distinctions (85+) in higher units than in the lower equivalent units.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Which level of mathematics did you in high school and how did you go?

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Considering this, I would definitely recommend MATH1001 over MATH1011.

I was shithouse in E1 Maths during the HSC but I still got 60 for 1001. You will find it more engaging and unlike 1011, not a waste of your time.

gettinbetter

HSC
I don't really mind about the units of study, it's just that.. I'd rather study less and achieve a higher mark (i.e. distinction in MATH1011) than study much harder and achieve a lower mark (i.e. credit in MATH1001).

Just to clarify, it doesn't entirely matter about the units of study, as long as I achieve the higher marks ?
Also, will the units of study also affect my GPA ? (i.e. the unit's difficulty)

Sorry if I'm repeating myself, just need to clarify the subject selections before I enrol tomorrow.

study-freak

Bored of
HSC
I don't really mind about the units of study, it's just that.. I'd rather study less and achieve a higher mark (i.e. distinction in MATH1011) than study much harder and achieve a lower mark (i.e. credit in MATH1001).

Just to clarify, it doesn't entirely matter about the units of study, as long as I achieve the higher marks ?
Also, will the units of study also affect my GPA ? (i.e. the unit's difficulty)

Sorry if I'm repeating myself, just need to clarify the subject selections before I enrol tomorrow.
the bolded bit: Not necessarily the case, imo. Depends on the person.

and GPA doesn't depends on what unit you do. Only on your final score.

Chemical Ali

지금은 소녀시대
HSC
N/A
Do you like maths? How hard are your other 3 subjects, would you be better off having the extra time from less maths study to allocate to them? Does your uni use scaling so that the 2 courses are graded together somehow or do you just get what you get (it's probably hard to find this out)

I did mid-tier maths in 1st year, the optional harder course had recommended 4 unit so I avoided it having only done 3 unit, In the first 2 weeks they gave us, among other things, a quick revision of ~year 12 level coordinate geometry and trigonometry, I legit saw people saying "we already did this, why are we doing it", then stop attending lectures and not end up doing very well. So don't take higher marks in the easy course for granted either way.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)