• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

radioisotopes (1 Viewer)

zeinab7691

HSC
It is indeed true that cobalt 60 is used for detecting flaws in metal parts, and welds for defects, but the dot point says: Describe the way in which they are each used ( i got that) and explain their use in terms of their chemical properties.

Can some one help me with the part in the bold. Im really, really desperate (for that answer).

LMAO

THANK YOU

Last edited:

VladimirNikolai

HSC
Umm... you described it's nuclear properties, not chemical ones. The only thing to heed out of that last post is the "chemically unreactive, thus enabling the detector to have a long lifespan and not require regular maintenance." If you can hold off for a week, other groups in my class are doing a speech on this, then I can let you know what it actually is, in full detail.

zeinab7691

HSC
It is due very soon. I think maybe a week is too late. I dont know what im gonna do. lol How isnt that chemistry? I thought it was. Can some one please help very very soon!! I think i chose the wrong use for cobalt-60.
LOL

Thank you heaps!

HSC
Lucid Scintilla said:
Firstly, please spell and punctuation as necessary.

It is used because it is an emitter of gamma rays, which will penetrate metal; has a half-life of about 5 years and is chemically unreactive, thus enabling the detector to have a long lifespan and not require regular maintenance.
Firstly, punctate not punctuation also gramma should be considered...:mad1: IT'S A BLOODY SCIENCE FORUM! Anyway:
explain their use in terms of their chemical properties.
You should include,
The type of radiation that the radioisotope emitts and why this type of radiation can (for Co-60) penetrate the medium being gauged.
The half-life of the radioisotope and why this half-life is ideal for the job that it is being used for (eg. if used near or in the human body=short half-life) (industrial use (usually) long half-life).
Why this radioisotope is used instead of others that are similar or better (again, half-life, emissions, and also availability and price of the isotopes).
Elobrate on these and it will answer the dot point nicely.
Cheers!

Last edited:

zeinab7691

HSC
Once again i thankkk you muchly. You helped alot. I finally got my answer!!

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
Re: Want

Don't meant to be picky, but what you outlined is nuclear property.
Whilst I strongly believe it is necessary to include the nuclear properties in a question regarding radioisotopes, it is also important to include chemical properties as Vlad pointed out.

(Though the exact wording of chemistry property, as I believed when I was doing HSC, is due to a typo.)

So I would include both nuclear porperties and chemical property/properties in the response to the question.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)