• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

rant: end of y11 and i feel like a failure (1 Viewer)

iloveeggs

HSC
Bruh guys i also need advice whether i should take up math ext 2. I kinda wanna drop 2 subjects and this is really my only option. I’m not by any means the “best of the best” math student but im pretty good. I’m averaged about 75% in e 1 and 94% in adv. I’m interested in pursuing 4u but tbh i don’t know if i’m good enough. The thing is if i do 4u im potentially forfeiting a band 6 in adv.

Also if i were to drop 4u to adv in the 2nd term of yr12 how does this work with marks for internals??
in my school the expectation is that if youre good enough to band 6 2u and projected to band 6 3u then you can apply to get in (not sure if every school has an application process but we have set criteria to meet to get in). so you shouldnt be worried about forfeiting a band 6 in 2u if you do 4u, bc thats just the expectation for a 4u student. you should judge whether or not you will cope with 4u based on your own performance and what the ultimate goal is for you (e.g. band 6 in 4u, atar aim, that kind of thing) and whether or not you can invest time into 4u to grind and do well. you might want to discuss it with your maths teachers and ask for their advice (unless they are really discouraging and unrealistic)

in terms of dropping 4u it depends on what your school does in terms of 2u assessments. def ask a teacher if the 4u students still sit 2u exams, and if they don't, ask if you can sit them if you pick up 4u because you're not 100% sure you want to keep it.

v.tex

HSC
in my school the expectation is that if youre good enough to band 6 2u and projected to band 6 3u then you can apply to get in (not sure if every school has an application process but we have set criteria to meet to get in). so you shouldnt be worried about forfeiting a band 6 in 2u if you do 4u, bc thats just the expectation for a 4u student. you should judge whether or not you will cope with 4u based on your own performance and what the ultimate goal is for you (e.g. band 6 in 4u, atar aim, that kind of thing) and whether or not you can invest time into 4u to grind and do well. you might want to discuss it with your maths teachers and ask for their advice (unless they are really discouraging and unrealistic)

in terms of dropping 4u it depends on what your school does in terms of 2u assessments. def ask a teacher if the 4u students still sit 2u exams, and if they don't, ask if you can sit them if you pick up 4u because you're not 100% sure you want to keep it.
Thanks so much, that was really helpful!

HSC
dont know how to explain it but im like slowly giving up on my dreams to get the atar i want and do undergrad med. im just not where i need to be academically and ik i can lock in for y12 and stuff but just based off my performance in y11 alone, which was supposed to be like a trial run for hsc, im doing good but not like great. ik y11 doesnt mean anything but im really just so mediocre and im so tired of saying im going to make an academic comeback. there are like thousands of kids out getting better grades than me, studying more and what not and i just dont think im good enough anymore lowkey. i think me being in a selective school makes it much worse bc everyone is working really hard and theyre consistently motivated but im just barely coping. i invested a shit ton of time into studying this year and quit a lot of extracurriculars i used to do so i could cope with the demands of my y11 work but my grades are meh and im super miserable too.

i just hate the way y11 has turned out and im stressed af and since ill graduate in like a year i dont have hope that i can turn things around anymore. i hate school so much ugh

sorry i dont mean to trauma dump on here bc its kind of embarrassing but im hoping someone in y12 or older has had an experience like this and turned out to be wrong about what they can achieve
my opinion of the key to doing well is studying more efficiently and purposefully, not necessarily harder. take some time to experiment and work out the way that you study best, not in terms of your marks but in terms of how well you feel like you know the content. work out what it is about certain subjects and topics you don't understand and approach your teachers for help.

otherwise, it's easier said than done but I wouldn't stress too much about the hsc. entry to a degree aside, no one worth speaking to cares about atar once week 1 of university starts, and even past university your marks are only relevant in getting you in the door. like everyone says, there are many paths to get into the degree you wan't and if you don't make it straight out of year 12 it isn't even close to the end of the world. from what i've heard, medical school is absolutely no joke and it might not be for you; the atar cut-offs of a course are usually reflective of the workload and intensity and are to make sure you can actually cope with the course. university is a lot easier than the hsc in some ways and much more difficult in others. you'll realise eventually that enjoying what you do for work is a arguably a lot more important than the prestige or money that comes with it, and if you don't have an inkling of interest or passion in what you're studying, you'll burn out fast and end up switching degrees anyway.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)