• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Rate this Trial on difficulty (1 Viewer)

bayan92

HSC
Section I - Part B - Worth 45 Marks (As our option section is 40 Marks)

16. a) Draw styrene
b) Give systematic name for polymer of styrene - 1

17. a) What are transuranic elements and give ONE example. - 2
b) Equation for alpha decay of americium-241 - 1

18. Explain how bromine water distinguished between.....include relevant equations, using structural formula. - 3

19. Evaluate the role that human activity and technology have played in altering the concentration of zone in the stratosphere. - 6

20. a) A poisonous gas present in photochemical smog is an allotrope of oxygen. Identify this gas.
b) Describe another environmental issue associated with increased levels of NOx in the atmosphere including equations. - 2

21. a) Write Haber Process equation (balanced) - 1
b) Explain why the rate, but not the yield is increased at higher temps. - 3

22. a) Identify cation responsible for white ppt formed upon addition of HCl. - 1
b) Write a net ionic equation for reaction which produced a white ppt upon adding H2SO4. - 1
c) Justify the procedure followed by the student to identify these two cations. (Stimulus provided) - 3

23. a) Write equations for the reaction of sulfur to form an oxide and the reaction of the oxide with water. - 2
b) Name the products formed in each reaction. - 1
c) Oxides of sulfur can be released by both industrial and natural processes. Give examples to explain this statement. - 2

24. a) Draw a labeled diagram of a galvanic cell with lead and silver electrodes. - 2
b) Write half equations for the above cell and calculate cell voltage - 2
c) What are the standard conditions for a galvanic cell - 2

25. a) Explain in terms of Le Chatelier's principle what happens to solubility of CO2 as the top of a soda bottle lid is removed.
b) Does CO2 become more or less soluble as the temperature of water decreases. Explain your answer. - 1

26. a) Describe what is meant by the term 'catchment' area. - 1
b) Identify TWO physical purification processes.
c) Define eutrophication. - 1
d) Outline the cause of eutrophication - 1

Shipwrecks - 40 Marks (Only first two sections)

27. a) i) Outline the role of electron transfer..
ii) Contrast the comp, prop and uses of three types of steel - 9
b) i) Define rusting and describe the appearance of rust. - 2
ii) Outline the conditions for rusting and use equations to describe the process of rusting. - 9
c) i) Identify the main metal used to make ships. - 1
ii) Distinguish between active and passivating metals - 4
d) Outline the method followed to compare and describe the rate of corrosion in differing O2 concs and temps and describe the results you obtained. - 4
e) Outline and analyse the impact of the work of any THREE early scientists on our understanding of electron transfer reactions. - 6
f) Agar plate question with indicators:
i) Identify TWO valid conclusions that can be made from experiment
ii) Explain why phenolphthalein goes a pink colour at the cathodes
iii) Explain why potassium ferricyanide produces a blue colour at the anodes -

Tastegud

HSC
Don't do shipwrecks so cant tell you much about the option topic.

But from doing that section in my head in 10minutes, I thought it was pretty damn easy. You know why? Where were the calculations and scientific thinking. It was all wrote learning and yeah, I saw nothing difficult there really. Definitely below HSC standard I'm sorry to say.

19. Evaluate the role that human activity and technology have played in altering the concentration of zone in the stratosphere. - 6
This is probably the only decent question as it will catch a few of the students as it's a 6 marker and it's not always easy to get the full 6 marks. I did in my exams anyway but that's besides the point.

But overall, I would say that would of been a pretty easy test. Hopefully you found it easy too.

EDIT: Oh btw I see you're trying to go for B Pharm at USYD too :p We got similar STAT scores as well >< got 163 :) gluck for it and maybe I'll see you if I make it :p

study-freak

Bored of
HSC
Easy paper (at least, the core)
and also unrealistic and dumb (shipwrecks - 9 markers)
You are never going to get that in the HSC.

And the paper is far too heavy on shipwrecks. Unless your school wants people to do shipwrecks well and fail the core which comprises 75% of the course.

Last edited:

shady145

Banned
HSC
yea core is weak...
I thought it was pretty damn easy. You know why? Where were the calculations
calcs make it easier imo, if it wasnt easy enough

Tastegud

HSC
yea core is weak...

calcs make it easier imo, if it wasnt easy enough
lol I was talking about the non-obvious calculations. Not measuring pH and shit. I dno any good ones... probably titration will catch a few.

bayan92

HSC
Yeah thanks guys. I found it to be below HSC standard as well but not extremely below. I think the questions were too 'one dotpoint' (exactly as learnt in class) and did not require synthesis of a few dotpoints.

Tastegud --> I hope to see you in B Pharmacy too. Good luck. :)

Divinity_

HSC
Looks pretty simple and straight forward. My Chemistry trial was a killer >_<;;

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)