• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Recommendation for HSC Study Guides/Textbooks (1 Viewer)

s98k

HSC
Hi there, I need some recommendations for studyguides for the following subjects (dont want really expensive ones):

- English Advanced: I was thinking Excel, but what do you guys think? or should i get individual ones for the topics im doing? BTW im doing Hamlet, Blade Runner/Frankeinstein and The Fiftieth Gate

- 2 Unit Maths: I'm not sure if i should even buy one...

- Economics: Was planning to buy either excel or macquarie, but are there any other good ones (btw, i'm using the pearson one right now)

- Business Studies: Since this year is the first year doing the new syllabus :( not many good textbooks have been released. I've seen Cambridge but i don't want the textbook as i only need the study guide...Dot point has released one but its $60? for just the studyguide and i'm betting off buying Cambridge.

- Ancient History: debating over Cambridge? But it contains Egypt and my school's doing Xerxes and Persia ... What are other options?

Really need to buy these study guides ASAP as school is nearly starting. So all recommendations are welcome.
Many Thanks! :)

Examine

same
HSC
Business studies - There is a thread on this in the Business Studies subtopic. From what we have gathered most students on this forum believe that Business Studies In Action latest edition is the best textbook which caters for the new syllabus. From my experiences the text book is easy to understand and explains concepts well, only sometimes rambling on about useless stuff. It costs $70ish and is more expensive than other Business Studies Textbooks though it is worth it. Ask Aysce, findx and others. (Business Studies Bored Of Studies Regulars)

delian

HSC
N/A
I think a good textbook should be sufficient.
(Also, many study guides are not cheap)
What textbook are you using for Economics?

findx

HSC
Business studies - There is a thread on this in the Business Studies subtopic. From what we have gathered most students on this forum believe that Business Studies In Action latest edition is the best textbook which caters for the new syllabus. From my experiences the text book is easy to understand and explains concepts well, only sometimes rambling on about useless stuff. It costs $70ish and is more expensive than other Business Studies Textbooks though it is worth it. Ask Aysce, findx and others. (Business Studies Bored Of Studies Regulars)
Yes Business Studies in Action is recommended. You get it for cheaper if you shop around online, but the shipping takes long.
Anyways, for:
Advanced English - Individual study guides for each text, however, if your teacher gives enough useful sheets/notes on the texts, a study guide will not be overly important.
2U Maths - Fitzpatrick and Cambridge (if you want a challenge)
Business Studies - Business Studies in Action
Ancient History - Antiquity 2 and the book by Pamela Bradley (forgot its name)

plasticities

HSC
For English I did Hamlet and the Fiftieth gate as well, and if your teacher gives you sufficient hand outs and supplementary material, I don't think study guides are necessary.

Aliyas

HSC
I bought a Top Notes book for Frankenstein/Blade Runner, and it looks swell. It's pretty cheap too, and it seems to have a lot of good material in it. You could look into that if you wanted individual study guides.

Bobbo1

HSC
English Advanced: thousands of notes and resources online, Top Notes are extremely basic but they can be helpful
2U Maths: Fitzpatrick then straight onto past papers
Economics: Tim riley and Dixon - both are equally good in their own respect

s98k

HSC
I think a good textbook should be sufficient.
(Also, many study guides are not cheap)
What textbook are you using for Economics?
Currently using the tim dixon one, and i'm thinking of buying the excel studyguide. Do you think it will be any good?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)