• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Reducing MP3 Size. (1 Viewer)

ezzy85

hmm...yeah.....
HSC
N/A
How can I make an MP3 smaller? Im not too concerned with the quality. I dont want to rip a CD, just reduce an existing file.
Thanks.

sunny

meh.
HSC
What is the bitrate of the MP3? You can re-encode it at a lower bitrate to make the file smaller. You might have to first decode the MP3 into a WAV file, then back into a lower bitrate MP3.

Try CDEx

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
also, isn't the point of mp3 that the files are smaller? so, why when i upload songs to my computer in wma format, they are about half the size?

sunny

meh.
HSC
It really depends. WMA and MP3 are different ways of compressing a file. Generally speaking, WMA is used for net streaming, and tends to use a lower bitrate (so that you can stream it over internet connections) and will give you a smaller file.

You can get the same result in an MP3 if you compressed it enough.

People will argue for both sides when it comes to using different codecs at different bitrates (eg, some might say WMA sounds better than MP3 when both are used at 32kb/s)

memo

WMA sounds better and compresses better at a lower bit rate (64kbps or lower). You might also want to try OGG algorithm probably the best lower bit algorithm.

fatmuscle

HSC
Originally posted by BlasterWorm
Do you still have the SDD excel photocopy?

Thks
Alistair
umm?

Storage devices are getting bigger and cheaper
i wouldn't do anything below 128kbps

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
WMA codec in media player 9 offers quality similar to mp3 pro and ACC and all those other new codecs

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)