• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Referencing the quote given in an english exam? (1 Viewer)

samopperman11

HSC
Alright, so I know from doing modern history that if you get given a quote (or a source) not making reference to it is suicide. However, is it the same in an English exam?
Take for example this question:

Question 3 — Shakespearean Drama – William Shakespeare, Hamlet (20 marks)
‘Shakespeare’s Hamlet continues to engage audiences through its dramatic treatment of
struggle and disillusionment.’
In the light of your critical study, does this statement resonate with your own interpretation of
Hamlet?

In your response, make detailed reference to the play.

should I be quoting the statement given throughout my essay? e.g "..and it is thus shown how the play "continues to engage audiences through its dramatic treatment of struggle and disillusionment" through the theme of procrastination."
The question doesn't exactly say 'with reference to the quote' as it would in a modern exam, or even studies of religion at that. It also isn't in the marking criteria of the question and it usually is in modern history.
So is paraphrasing enough? so long as you use general words from the quote, you don't have to quote it exactly?
Waaa so confused.

OH1995

HSC
Don't ever quote the question/statement. But I would use some key words from the question in your thesis and subsequent analysis. :)

samopperman11

HSC
Okay, awesome, thanks :) My teacher has always said the same sort of thing, but I get paranoid that people at different schools are told differently and then they do better in exams... thanks!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)