• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Reformatting (1 Viewer)

miss_b

still obsessed...
HSC
After reformatting a computer with the windows XP disk that did not come with th comp, can i now still use the recovery disks to reformat? Or do i need to uninstall windows first?

PS how do i uninstall windows because when i go into Add or remove programs i can't find windows XP...

MedNez

:o>---<
HSC
N/A
Formatting wipes the hard drive clean. That is, there is nothing left. You do not need to uninstall windows first. Once you have backed up, put in your CD, reformat, reinstall.

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
hehe, no you cannot 'uninstall' windows, to uninstall you will have to format again
by using the recovery disks which came with your computer you can reinstall windows, the process will be automatic. Just pop the disc into your CD-Rom and restart your computer and the CD should just boot up by itself

note that you will loose everything that is on your computer right now

miss_b

still obsessed...
HSC
redslert said:
hehe, no you cannot 'uninstall' windows, to uninstall you will have to format again
by using the recovery disks which came with your computer you can reinstall windows, the process will be automatic. Just pop the disc into your CD-Rom and restart your computer and the CD should just boot up by itself

note that you will loose everything that is on your computer right now
i couldn't find my recovery disks so i reinstalled windows with another windows XP disk...but now i can't get my recovery disks to work. Is there any way to fix this?

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
Out of curiosity, would it work if you made a back-up folder, put your hardrive on another computer and then deleted everything but the back up folder on your harddrive?

MedNez

:o>---<
HSC
N/A
That depends how you define, 'delete'. You could wipe the other physical folders I suppose but parts of windows would still be there, so it wouldn't be like you only had 'one folder' on the hard drive.

You could of course do this and install windows, you just wouldn't need to format. Although that'd be a bad idea, installing it on a messed up drive.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
gloria_b said:
i couldn't find my recovery disks so i reinstalled windows with another windows XP disk...but now i can't get my recovery disks to work. Is there any way to fix this?
But if u reinstalled Windows with another disk why do u need ur recovery disk, havent already reformatted?

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
melsc said:
But if u reinstalled Windows with another disk why do u need ur recovery disk, havent already reformatted?
i'm not 100% sure about this, only guessing because i have never used one of those recovery CDs before. But i think that sometimes companies put MS Office (word, excel etc) into the recovery cd? or CD buring software etc

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
redslert said:
i'm not 100% sure about this, only guessing because i have never used one of those recovery CDs before. But i think that sometimes companies put MS Office (word, excel etc) into the recovery cd? or CD buring software etc
Oh yes those :) Qhar exactly do you mean it wont work? What kind of error message are you getting?

vojnik

HSC
Im guesing that when you used to install winxp without the recovery disc, you deleted the partition in which the recovery disc uses to install windows from..so i dont think you can use your recovery disc again...just use the original xp disc, recovery blows

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)