• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Related text Incredible Hulk (2008) (1 Viewer)

awod15

HSC
Do you think The incredible hulk 2008 movie is a good concept for belonging as it shows him "not belonging" into the society and how every one is against him for being different

mirakon

nigga
HSC
Personally, I find it far too overt an example of not belonging, perhaps something a bit more subtle will suffice?

HSC
I'm going to have to apologize, but the answer is no, and I get a lot of these questions all the time.

The chief reasons are these:
- Whilst it retains some themes about belonging, a 'pop' text like 'The Incredible Hulk' will not have the higher level themes, or an infinite number of themes that are often found in the Classics i.e, Charles Dickens, William Shakespeare, H.G. Wells, Dante, Sophocles, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle etc. The themes in these kind of blockbuster movies are limited - and as it should be, such films were aimed to 'entertain' and audience, not to instil higher grade level of specific themes. Sure The Hulk is about not belonging, but even a 5 year old child could tell you that, and you want to differentiate yourself form that.

- Teachers/markers will assume you chose this text because it was on T.V last night, or because you saw it in the video store, or an ad - and creates this stigma of laziness, when in actual fact, you might have worked hard to find the text.

- Ask yourself this. Why is it that I barely see films that were made in the 70s, yet books that were written thousands of years ago are still as popular as ever? It's because, if the piece of work has value, it will transcend time. The Incredible Hulk cannot do this I'm afraid.

Having said all that, I'm not saying, don't do the text - I'm just saying, that if you elect to, you will have to do even more work than you think to get a good mark. For example, I did the 2006 'Silent Hill' and talked about the 'anti hero', and 'shadow archetypes,' due to the fact that if you're going to do a modern text as such, even complex techniques such as 'pathetic fallacy' that you find, are just barely enough for a marker to view it as a good choice.

So if you choose the Hulk, and relate it to the Jungian theory for instance, go ahead. If that sounds too complex, and all you can think about is that 'he doesn't belong to society,' it's easier to choose another text.

Good luck :)

awod15

HSC
thanks man,

Can you give me any ideas on what i should choose for my related text?
btw what was your overall ATAR =] and how much did u study a night?

HSC
oh hey man, I'll p.m. you my info :D

tbh, I didn't study THAT much per evening...or as much as I thought I wanted....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)