• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Residential Colleges... (1 Viewer)

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Uh, yeah. Part of the reason I'm going to uni is to live on campus. College is slightly more than a place to sleep.

LaCe

chillin, killin, illin
HSC
Slide Rule said:
Uh, yeah. Part of the reason I'm going to uni is to live on campus. College is slightly more than a place to sleep.
Usyd then eh?

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Nah I agree with Ash. I didn't choose college for the parties or the drinking or the company, I chose it for practicality. The other stuff (like having friends around at all hours of the night, or a chapel 10 seconds away) were convenient afterthoughts.

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
For me, I have a great social life with my friends from uni... I sort of find the "imposed" social life at college a bit strange, and the routine would quite frankly not work for me... working two jobs plus uni I would never be at dinner at 5pm. I got really involved in the res events at housing but found that there weren't really people I really "clicked" with more than good acquaintences in housing and I had better friends from my course at uni. I can understand why college appeals to some people, and yeah I personally looked in to it when I was looking at unis and considered it, but at the end of the day, it is just a place to sleep, and the social life etc is what you make of it. My friend at college says that there are "study ghosts" at her college who don't get out and about amongst it etc. It depends on you a lot as well as the college.

I guess what I mean by the just a place to sleep thing is that the main purpose of college is to house you while you go to uni... I wouldn't agonize so much about it, I would pick more based on your course, if you are the type of person that suits college life I'm sure you will have a good time no matter what college you end up at, and you won't end up regretting your choice. The uni degree is more important than what college you went to.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
LaCe said:
Usyd then eh?
LOL! No. UNSW colleges seem better than USyd ones (there's more to life than partying). Besides, USyd isn't in any of my 9 preferences.

LaCe

chillin, killin, illin
HSC
Slide Rule said:
LOL! No. UNSW colleges seem better than USyd ones (there's more to life than partying). Besides, USyd isn't in any of my 9 preferences.
Are u kidding me? Usyd colleges seem much better than UNSW ones. UNSW seem like just a place to sleep whereas in Usyd ones, its more like a boarding house/community thing.

I still dont know....

starbaaa

Untalkative Member
HSC
Coming from the country, I don't want to go to a uni that doesn't have residential colleges. Moving out of home and away from everyone seems much less daunting when you know you'll be going somewhere where theres lots of other people, and you don't have to worry about meals or transport so much. I really hope I get into my college of choice...

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
I definately know the daunting feeling, I moved from the country myself. I still remember that moment watching my family's car drive away down Broadway and me thinking "there are millions of people in this city and I don't know a single one of them... shit". But even though I live in uni housing which is more apartment block in style it didn't take me long to make friends at uni, in housing and at work. College life does have that extra sense of security, but I think you would find that at any sort of uni residence in varying degrees. You will be fine don't stress, I'm sure you will have a great time no matter where you end up.

grimreaper

HSC
LaCe said:
Are u kidding me? Usyd colleges seem much better than UNSW ones. UNSW seem like just a place to sleep whereas in Usyd ones, its more like a boarding house/community thing.

I still dont know....
lol... brainwashed by the people in the usyd forum were you? unsw colleges are not at all "just a place to sleep" (though as idyll said, IH in particular I've heard is very boring). In the end I dont think you should be deciding between unsw and usyd based on colleges because I doubt you could go wrong with either. By the way, if you havent applied for college already you should asap (for both unsw and usyd) - only about a fifth of applicants to the kenso colleges are successful

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
LaCe said:
I think you're kidding me now. ;)

I've only ever heard positive comments about New College and it has had a very friendly and communal atmosphere each time I've visited it. While New College most appealed to me, the sense of community was also present in the other two places I visited (Shalom and Warrane).

Then again considering the acceptance rate is 80 in 400 (1 in 5 as somebody noted) and I haven't received an offer yet, I probably shouldn't be trying to convince you that New College is good. :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)