• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Restriction on Blood Donation (2 Viewers)

LadyBec

KISSmeCHASY
HSC
I can understand the reasoning behind it, but really can't they have phrased it a little better? honestly, why not just say any anal?
then you get the gay/bi's AND any chicks that might like it that way.
Plus the whole not even mentioning unprotected sex thing is just stupid.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
AtticusFinch said:
im 100% with townie on this one...
i think that its wrong that man on man sex has been highlighted individualy. it should be written as anal sex and left at that...
I'm with townie also.
Alot of these organisations are religiously based, and while it might have something to do with anal sex, that is no reason to single out gay men.

Rorix

HSC
Does anyone disagree that blood should not be accepted from groups with a high risk of disease?

If not, then it is just a question of what a 'high' risk is.

From the statistical data, they have come up with categories of persons whom they will not accept blood donation from as it is too risky.

Gay men are on this list. From the list, it appears that straight persons who have engaged in anal sex are not as at high a risk of disease. There are a variety of possibilities of why this could be so, which are rather irrelevant to the topic. The point is, these certain groups are high risk, and to include persons which are not high risk for the sake of not being 'discriminatory' is to reduce necessary blood donations and most likely cost lives.

If you think that gay men will be seriously outraged at this to the point that we would be better off letting people die, then by all means......

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Rorix said:
Does anyone disagree that blood should not be accepted from groups with a high risk of disease?

If not, then it is just a question of what a 'high' risk is.

From the statistical data, they have come up with categories of persons whom they will not accept blood donation from as it is too risky.

Gay men are on this list. From the list, it appears that straight persons who have engaged in anal sex are not as at high a risk of disease. There are a variety of possibilities of why this could be so, which are rather irrelevant to the topic. The point is, these certain groups are high risk, and to include persons which are not high risk for the sake of not being 'discriminatory' is to reduce necessary blood donations and most likely cost lives.

If you think that gay men will be seriously outraged at this to the point that we would be better off letting people die, then by all means......
True, if they have compiled information which shows that gay men are at a higher risk of disease then straight couples having anal sex, then this would be acceptable.
I'm just saying that these groups have some religious ties, and it's possible that that's not the case.

Generator

HSC
N/A
Slight bump.

I heard about this on the wireless earlier today (Edit: Funnily enough, the transcript appeared as I was bumping this thread).

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,16129634%5E1702,00.html

Ban on gay blood donors challenged
By Robyn Grace
August 02, 2005

A TASMANIAN man has accused the Red Cross of discriminating against him because he is gay.

Michael Cain, of Launceston in northern Tasmania, today launched legal challenges with the Tasmanian Anti-Discrimination Commission and the Australian Human Rights Commission against a policy that prevents gay men from donating blood.

Mr Cain, 22, tried to donate blood in Launceston last October but was told the Australian Red Cross Blood Service did not accept donations from men who have had male-to-male sex in the previous 12 months.

The Red Cross nurse told him "you people" – referring to gay men – had a higher risk of blood contamination due to unsafe sex practices, Mr Cain said.

The policy, which the Red Cross deems in line with world standards, was discriminatory and unnecessary, he said.

"I know that I have safe sex ... It almost felt like I was being accused of being a dirty person," Mr Cain said.

Tasmanian Gay and Lesbian Rights Group spokesman Rodney Croome said the Red Cross donor screening process, introduced 20 years ago in response to the advent of AIDS, was outdated.

Gay and bisexual men were allowed to donate blood in Switzerland and Spain, he said.

"Now we know that AIDS is not simply a gay disease, it's a disease anyone can catch," Mr Croome said.

"It's really time for the Red Cross to change its policy and focus on whether donors have safe or unsafe sex rather than the gender of the person they have sex with."

The screening process did not question heterosexuals on their safe sex practices, but singled out gay and bisexual men as high risk, Mr Croome said.

The same men can, however, donate sperm and organs.

Mr Cain's legal challenges argue the Red Cross is discriminatory on the grounds of sexual orientation and lawful sexual activity.

The federal challenge also alleges the Therapeutic Goods Administration has contravened Australia's international human rights obligations by failing to ensure the Red Cross conforms to blood donation guidelines set by the Council of Europe.

The Council of Europe guidelines said it was necessary to ask prospective male donors if they had sex with men, but they didn't say gay men should be banned from making donations, Mr Croome said.

A similar case in 1998 was taken to the Victorian Equal Opportunity Commission, which found the Red Cross was reasonable in its discrimination because it needed to ensure blood supplies were safe.

But Mr Croome said technology had since progressed so HIV could be detected more successfully.

"As every year goes on and the technology improves (the ban) seems even more irrational," he said.

"We can't afford to keep anyone shut out when blood supplies are so low. This ban will cost lives."

The Australian Red Cross Blood Service said the exclusion of gay men was based on a statistically higher incidence of some blood-borne diseases among gay men, and the existence of "window period" infections – infections which may be incubating in the body at the time of donation.

Last edited:

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
i think if the issue you are talking about is not taking proper precautions about the risk of HIV being spread then you have an excellent point.

however, if your issue is discrimination against homosexuals then this is not as valid. it should be called anal sex, but spelling out "male to male sex" is a precaution that has to be taken to prevent misunderstanding.

i think the man accusing the red cross of discrimination has missed the point. maybe it wasnt said very tastefully, but there are risks with homosexuals giving blood that must remain out in the open.

and i am so sick of immature fools coming on these serious threads and making smart remarks.

save it for NS...

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
There was someone on 702 a couple of days ago explaining why homosexuals are targetted...
A very small number of straight men in Australia carry the HIV virus, however the huge majority of people carrying the virus are gay.

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
i agree with what not that bright said. its a sad state that there are so many homosexuals suffering this terrible diease, but anti discrimination laws dont change the fact that the statistical chances of contracting the HIV virus is much higher with transfusions by homosexuals.

there are so many other ways that people can help the red cross, like raising money and awareness without actually giving blood. i wouldnt let it stop you from volunteering.

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
fuck all this political correctness. who cares if it sais male having sex with male. u wouldnt want blood from someone who just fuked some random dude in the ass. i know i wouldnt so shiut up.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
i stand by my comments that it should ask this, which, not only removes discrimination, but ensures that an even higher group of 'at-risk' people are caught, it should ask

1) have you had unprotected sex in the last 12 months
2) have you engaged in anal intercourse with another person

Optophobia

HSC
*Bump*

Correct.. But I’ve thought about it and i think that it's because its not HOW you have sex, its WHO you have sex with. Gay men, surprisingly, have sex with other gay men (who, are largely not bound by the faithfulness (supposedly) inherent to relationships of heterosexual people).

Straight men that anal a girl are less likely to get the disease because the girl is less likely to have the disease and although contraception may be used both times, contraception isn't always 100% effective.

HSC
It's not just that unprotected anal is a high risk factor, it's also that the gay man you're having anal with is more likely to have an std in the first place.

Scanorama

HSC
SashatheMan said:
fuck all this political correctness. who cares if it sais male having sex with male. u wouldnt want blood from someone who just fuked some random dude in the ass. i know i wouldnt so shiut up.
Amen to that. I don't want to get AIDS from a blood tranfusion just because someone don't understand the term 'anal sex' clearly. We are talking about 3 people lives here, political correctness can step aside.

dieburndie

Eat, Sleep, Repeat
HSC
Fuck yes, I don't want queer faggot blood AIDSing me up when I could get pure god-fearing blood instead.

Optophobia

HSC
Technically certain minorities have a higher chance of being infected with HIV.. Do they get rejected?

This isn't about "political correctness" anyway.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)