• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Rime of the Ancient Mariner - Meaning (1 Viewer)

tWiStEdD

deity of ultimate reason
HSC
For those who study Rime of the Ancient Mariner, I'd like to know what you believe the following lines mean (I only ask because I caused a debate today :argue:, over one such line and also because i did not understand two such verses myself)

Specifically, What do you read these lines as either re-enforcing or suggesting with respect to your reading and discources operating?

Part II line 123 - 130

"That very deep did rot: O Christ...
Burnt green, and blue and white"

Part II line 139-142

"Ah! Well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the albatross
About my neck was hung"

Part III line 157-160

"With throats unslacked, with black lips baked,
We could nor laugh nor wail;
Through utter drought all dumb we stood!
I bit my arm, I sucked my blood,
And cried, A sail! a sail!"

m1nx

HSC
just some brief, sketchy thoughts on it~ we finished this one last term, so do correct me if i'm wrong ;)

Part II line 123 - 130 is the mariner cursing nature/creatures for living. it reinforces the similar feelings he had when he shot the albatross (e.g. use of emotive word "slimy")

Part II line 139-142~ although the others were somewhat complicit to the mariner's "crime" against nature/the natural order of things at the beginning of part 2 (in that they agreed with his slaying the bird that "[brought] the fog and mist"), when the "good south wind " dies and "the sails dropt down" they turn against him, hanging the dead albatross around his neck as retribution/penance/reminder of his wicked deed.

Part III line 157-160~ i vaguely remember our teacher saying something about this being a sign of his desperation? I mean, the mere fact that he bit his arm and drew blood ... ?! heh. it mgiht also be read as a bit ironical as he inflicts pain upon himself/foreshadows his future suffering as the ship wasn't exactly coming to save them. :p

nerdz0r

HSC
Part III line 157-160

"With throats unslacked, with black lips baked,
We could nor laugh nor wail;
Through utter drought all dumb we stood!
I bit my arm, I sucked my blood,
And cried, A sail! a sail!"

The ship has not moved in like 3 weeks, therefore the crew is out of food and water, hence dehydration... Black lips are that the mariners lips are so burnt they have turned black, could not laugh or wail, they have no energy to do anything at all

bit my arm, I sucked my blood and cried a sail a sail

dehydration has caused the mariner's tongue to swell, he cannot talk, by biting his tongue and sucking his blood he is giving his tongue and mouth fluids, hence his tongue unswels enough for him to cry out, desperation, yes, but inflicting pain on himself to alert others that help is on the way, even if it is only a mirage

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)