• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

RU486 - Abortion Pill (1 Viewer)

anarchron

HSC
What's your take on this issue? Should it be legal or illegal to sell this medication over the counter?

As a pro-life supporter I think it should be made illegal. Furthermore, the ease of its administration will only make society more irresponsible .

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
anarchron said:
Should it be legal or illegal to sell this medication over the counter?
Like in many other western nations it should be avaliable. Currently abortions are legal and you do not need doctors permission to have a surgical abortion. Therefore RU486 should be avaliable over the counter.

Furthermore, the ease of its administration will only make society more irresponsible
...you base this on what?

Last edited:

anarchron

HSC
erawamai said:
Like in many other western nations it should be avaliable. Currently abortions are legal and you do not need doctors permission to have a surgical abortion. Therefore RU486 should be avaliable over the counter.

...you base this on what?
Yes surgical abortion is legal, but think about how much more traumatic it is as compared to a self-administered pill.

Easiest solution for unwanted pregnancies, abstinence. Unless of course it is in the most extreme circumstances of rape. Ever since the advent of the pill, sex is no longer treated with respect. The sexual liberation of the 70s has diminished our sense of responsibility and notion that it is after all it is all about the creation of new life.

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
MORON OF THE DAY GOES TO BARNABY JOYCE!

Responding to comments by the Women's Electoral Lobby that a woman had a right to choose what she did to her body, Senator Joyce asked why a foetus had no legal rights until it was born.

"If I shoot a woman and don't kill her but kill the baby, I haven't actually committed a crime?" Senator Joyce said.

WEL ACT spokeswoman Roslyn Dundas responded that shooting a woman was still committing a crime.

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
anarchron said:
Yes surgical abortion is legal, but think about how much more traumatic it is as compared to a self-administered pill.
In other words you are attempting to punish the women? Surely if you are actually concerned with preserving the life in being and you accept that abortions do have to happen (they have and will continue to into the future. Only the most idiotic person with no grasp of history would suggest that abortions could be eliminated) you would be interested in making sure that women who had to abort had the safest method of abortion. Current opinion suggests RU 486 is the safest method.

Easiest solution for unwanted pregnancies, abstinence. Unless of course it is in the most extreme circumstances of rape. Ever since the advent of the pill, sex is no longer treated with respect. The sexual liberation of the 70s has diminished our sense of responsibility and notion that it is after all it is all about the creation of new life.
Of course abstinace is the best method. However teaching people abstinance education only has been proven to result in more unwanted pregnancies.

I also don't understand why you, as a pro lifer, suggest that an abortion is OK when the foetus is a result of rape. Surely that position is hypocritical. As a pro lifer I assume that you believe that the killing of a foetus is murder. How is the killing of a foetus created by rape any different? Regardless of the consent of the women, in the view of pro lifers, life has been created and it is being murdered. Unless of course you think life can be measured according to the situation in whih the life was conceived.

Last edited:

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
erawamai said:
In other words you are attempting to punish the women? Surely if you are actually concerned with preserving the life and you accept that abortions do have to happen (they have and will continue to into the future. Only the most idiotic person with any grasp of history would suggest that abortions could be eliminated) you would be interested in making sure that women who had to abort had the safest method of abortion. Current opinion suggests RU 486 is the safest method.

Of course abstinace is the best method. However teaching people abstinance education only has been proven to resulting in more unwanted pregnancies.

I also don't understand why you, as a pro lifer, suggest that an abortion is OK when the foetus is a result of rape. Surely that position is hypocritical. As a pro lifer I assume that you believe that the killing of a foetus is murder. How is the killing of a foetus created by rape any different? Regardless of the consent of the women, in the view of pro lifers, life has been created and it is being murdered. Unless of course you think life can be measured according to the situation in whih the life was conceived.
Political philosophies are full of contradictions and necessary evils.

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
withoutaface said:
Political philosophies are full of contradictions and necessary evils.
It's not political philsophy. It's just a real pro lifer does not favour abortion in any case. Even worse are the pro lifers who support abortion for rape but suggeat that women are evil for aborting because of money issues. In the case of abortions for rape the 'pro lifers' are rating stigma attached to the baby that is a product of rape higher than anything else. At least higher than life.

anarchron

HSC
Well that's what absolute pro-life people would think. However, one has to understand the difference in circumstances involved between rape and say willing consent.

Part of the role of the parent is to provide support for the child when it is born. If one has a child born out of rape, it was life created without one's consent and hence would one be wiling to support the child for the rest of one's life? If yes, then one wouldn't be attempting abortion. However, would it better for the child to be born in full consciousness but left in dumpster? I think not.

However, a child created from say a one night stand, that would be through willing consent. One must take responsiblity for such actions. Making the abortion pill legal will only make people overlook this responsiblity. This is unacceptable as one would be killing a life by doing so everytime one felt the urge to have a fling.

Last edited:

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
anarchron said:
Well that's what absolute pro-life people would think. However, one has to understand the difference in circumstances involved between rape and say willing consent.
the only difference between your view and a pro choice view is that you seem to consider the circumstances in which the foetus was conceived as important. 'Life' is created either way. The only difference between you and pro choicers is that you both have different circumstances in which you consider an abortion would be appropriate.

Part of the role of the parent is to provide support for the child when it is born. If one has a child born out of rape, it was life created without one's consent and hence would one be wiling to support the child for the rest of one's life? If yes, then one wouldn't be attempting abortion. However, would it better for the child to be born in full consciousness but left in dumpster? I think not.
You are still making exceptions to life. You are 'murdering' 'life' except for different reasons from other pro choicers. Either way you are making exceptions to life.

However, a child created from say a one night stand, that would be through willing consent. One must take responsiblity for such actions. Making the abortion pill legal will only make people overlook this responsiblity. This is unacceptable as you would be killing a life by doing so everytime one felt the urge to have a fling.
I don't see how making an abortion pill legal would suddenly see people forgo the use of condoms and other preventative measures. I don't think the average women would want to be taking RU 486 all the time. I'd imagine that it's still not pleasent for the women. Those who assume that RU 486 will be as easy as taking a Panadol probably don't have much knowledge of the practical funcationing of female cycles.

I also don't think a foetus is conceived everytime someone has a fling.

Last edited:

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
The morning after pill is already legal. It's fucking expensive. Hence people use condoms and/or the contraceptive pill.

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
anarchron said:
the only difference between your view and a pro choice view is that you seem to consider the circumstances in which the foetus was conceived as important. 'Life' is created either way. The only difference between you and pro choicers is that you both have different circumstances in which you consider an abortion would be appropriate.

You are still making exceptions to life. You are 'murdering' 'life' except for different reasons from other pro choicers. Either way you are making exceptions to life.

However, a child created from say a one night stand, that would be through willing consent. One must take responsiblity for such actions. Making the abortion pill legal will only make people overlook this responsiblity. This is unacceptable as you would be killing a life by doing so everytime one felt the urge to have a fling.
I don't see how making an abortion pill legal would suddenly see people forgo the use of condoms and other preventative measures. I don't think the average women would want to be taking RU 486 all the time. I'd imagine that it's still not pleasent for the women. Those who assume that RU 486 will be as easy as taking a Panadol probably don't have much knowledge of the practical funcationing of female cycles.

I also don't think a foetus is conceived everytime someone has a fling.

Generator

HSC
N/A
Bloody hell, this is a medical alternative to surgical abortion, not an over the counter pill. If you are going to debate the issue, try and treat it seriously, please. There's nothing to be gained by trivialising it by suggesting that RU-486 will be made available to all women who front up to a pharmacy.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
My only qualm with it would be that someone with a vested interest could use a pregnant friend get a hold of it and spike someone's food/drinks with it, but on the whole I would support its introduction.

Generator

HSC
N/A
withoutaface said:
My only qualm with it would be that someone with a vested interest could use a pregnant friend get a hold of it and spike someone's food/drinks with it, but on the whole I would support its introduction.
How could they do that, calculon? RU-486 will not be made available for a woman to take at her leisure (the dose is to be administered under medical supervision), so I really don't see how that fear could be made manifest back here in the real world.

Last edited:

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
i support its introduction i think its a great non-invasive method compared to surgical abortion..

of course it will be heavily controlled
but there will be a possibility of it being abused by unscrupulous practitioners.. lik the kind tat make pethidine and other dangerous substances easily available...

if ppl want something.. there is always someone selling..

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
I think surgical abortions are a horribly invasive procedure, and if a medical alternative is available, then I am all for it.
I disagree with those who say it will cause people to be irresponsible; preaching abstinence is unrealistic, and no matter how cautious you are "mistakes" can happen.
As most (all?) of you who have posted already are male, you can't possibly know what its like for a woman when her period is late, or the thoughts that run through her head when she considers abortion. Yes, in an ideal world there would be no need for pregnancy termination, but this is far from a perfect world and here we have a viable option to which women should be provided access.

veterandoggy

A Restless Member
Somewhere yonder where the sun never rises
HSC
Generator said:
Bloody hell, this is a medical alternative to surgical abortion, not an over the counter pill. If you are going to debate the issue, try and treat it seriously, please. There's nothing to be gained by trivialising it by suggesting that RU-486 will be made available to all women who front up to a pharmacy.
i agree. if it is to be made legal here, it should be at least a prescription drug.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)