• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Rudd Immigration Plan: A Cultural Divide? (1 Viewer)

Should the Rudd immigration plan be adapted?

• No, it should remain the same. It is after all quite reasonable in its objectives.

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • Yes, the number of immigrants should be decreased substantially.

Votes: 11 39.3%
  • Yes, the number of immigrants should be increased substantially.

Votes: 10 35.7%
  • I don't know. I don't mind either way.

Votes: 5 17.9%

• Total voters

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
zimmerman8k said:
Ok I'll repeat it once more. It is not 1 million. I do not support 1 million in 3 years. Even if some article suggests it was 1 million (by including temporary residents) the government is now planning to scale this back.

Also, has my argument implies, you would be right to be uneasy if it was the case. Although the market would find a solution, skyrocketing rents would cause people significant short term pain.
I know it's not a million, but even the correct number over such a short period of time makes me uneasy. Can't shake it! :p

However, the market based solution is still better than crazy ideas like rent control and public housing which consistently lead to "cash on the table" situations and thus corruption, wasted resources and randomized distribution of wealth.

Also glad we agree on housing regulations. :D

Although, what is EIS?
Don't get me started on public housing. Ugh.

EIS = Environmental Impact Statement. Represents the environmental legislation hoops that new developments have to jump through (and for good reason).

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Housing isn't the only issue in the hypothetical situation of a million new migrants. I don't think Australia's infrastructure is in any way equipped to deal with that sort of load.

Water and electricity would be fucked.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
zimmerman8k said:
Yep. Totally agree.

It's mainly local councils and their bullshit I hate.
Weeeeellll depends on the council. Kuring-gai, my council, has (had) legitimate reasons for their large number of extra hoops.

State Labor, however, begged to differ.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Graney said:
Housing isn't the only issue in the hypothetical situation of a million new migrants. I don't think Australia's infrastructure is in any way equipped to deal with that sort of load.

Water and electricity would be fucked.
This is more what I'm thinking (even it NOT being a million).

We're close to capacity, I think, in NSW when it comes to electricity.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
zimmerman8k said:
So the price rises and the market rations the available supply. There's so many ways we could slash our existing consumption.
Hmm. True, and on the other hand, it would provide a kick in the pants to get renewables going.

Or they'd just build another coal plant. Who knows.

bigboyjames

Banned
HSC
i think the government needs to step up with social engineering policies and fixing up the cultural divide that can be witnessed in this country. im all for immigration as long as it doesn't have social repercussions and these new immigrants wont be leeching of this country's recourse's.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Meh, the Anglo-Celtic majority would want the government to have the balls to recognise them as the dominant cultural group and shift emphasis back to immigrants intergrating into a cohesive society, rather than seeing ethnic ghettos of hostility. Assimilation worked for the Italians and Greeks and is the least the migrant can be asked to do, in exchange for living in this kick-arse place. Why should locals be made to feel like strangers in their own neighbourhood?

bigboyjames

Banned
HSC
Iron said:
Meh, the Anglo-Celtic majority would want the government to have the balls to recognise them as the dominant cultural group and shift emphasis back to immigrants intergrating into a cohesive society, rather than seeing ethnic ghettos of hostility. Assimilation worked for the Italians and Greeks and is the least the migrant can be asked to do, in exchange for living in this kick-arse place. Why should locals be made to feel like strangers in their own neighbourhood?
locals? WTF? please define "local"

HSC
Hint: Immigrants start businesses.

[/thread]

This is a *good* thing. Increasing Immigration to Australia brings bonuses as long as the Immigrants are skilled and not Sheikh Hilali's cocksucking fanboy club.

HSC
Wasn't there some report touting the values of assimilation to immigrant groups for overall social cohesion and beneficial outcomes?

Trefoil

One day...
HSC
N/A
Kwayera said:
Ageing population. Big problem. This is a smart move I underestimated Rudd being capable of.

bigboyjames said:
WTF? this from you?
Jokes don't convey well on the Internet, but you're still a fool for taking that the wrong way.

alexdore993 said:
Yes, but how will importing people with no money, and perhaps, no skills increase the amount of jobs?
What are you smoking? The vast vast majority of immigrants we import are skilled and self-supporting. 15% of Australia's immigrants are from Britain. Similarly large numbers are from New Zealand.

We're not talking naive refugees here, but even so they are no where near the problem some make them out to be.

Kwayera said:
I don't know. 3 years? I agree about overregulation (except when it comes to EIS), but it makes me uneasy to rely on the market "finding a way".

It's a really, really short period of time.
It's not really, is it? How many do we import each year right now? It's something like 200,000 isn't it?

1 million in 3 years is 330,000 per year. Not as huge a stretch as it seems. We currently do 1 million in 5 to 8 years.

zstar

HSC
N/A
Everyone in this country is a immigrant even the Aborigines.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
zimmerman8k said:
I don't mind people in my neighborhood that have different values and cultural practices to me. In fact, I like it. It's great to be exposed to other cultures, you can take what is good from them, and if you don't like it, you don't have to have anything to do with it.
It's a failed policy imo, implemented with no mandate. It goes against all the instincts this nation was founded on. Only the west has lost their nerve on this - other nations make no bones about requiring pretty stringent social conformity.
Relativism, in all it's terrifying, glittering beauty, in action

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
Immigration is fine, but as long as we have background checks on migrants, who knows what problems they'll bring into society. And please, we need to stop bringing lazy people into this country (I'm pointing at you New Zealanders)

To migrants entering Australia:

- Do not force your backward culture or your religious views towards this society.
- Do not think you can do crime here just because our laws is softer than whatever you came from.
- Do not expect to get citizenship here just for centrelink, so they could pay for you to live here, go out and work like the rest of us.
- Enjoy the Australian way of life and it's not racist to say 'I'm proud to be a Aussie'.
- If the Anglo/Europeans and Asians can do it, why can't the rest do it? That is work hard, don't make too many children (5+) don't cheat tax, stop preaching your religion to society, go to school and get a job.

:)

Trefoil

One day...
HSC
N/A
chicky_pie said:
Immigration is fine, but as long as we have background checks on migrants, who knows what problems they'll bring into society. And please, we need to stop bringing lazy people into this country (I'm pointing at you New Zealanders)
Actually, trivia: New Zealand immigrants are some of the hardest and most down-to-earth workers in Australia.

bigboyjames

Banned
HSC
i thought id call if before anyone else does.

ALL YOU C*NTS ARE F*CKING RACIST.

Trefoil

One day...
HSC
N/A
Actually, you're wrong.

I'm moderately xenophobic, but I'm really not at all racist. Even so, I still recognise the economic value of a steady immigration stream, and I think multiculturalism is a fundamentally good idea.

Last edited:

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
Trefoil said:
Actually, trivia: New Zealand immigrants are some of the hardest and most down-to-earth workers in Australia.

I'm not talking about those who grew up in New Zealand from generations there, I'm talking about those who uses New Zealand as a transit to come over to Australia, lol.

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
yeah apparently new zuland is easier to migrate to then they hop on over to australia

and by "they" i mean muslims

Last edited:

bigboyjames

Banned
HSC
Trefoil said:
Actually, you're wrong.

I'm moderately xenophobic, but I'm really not at all racist. Even so, I still recognise the economic value of a steady immigration stream, and I think multiculturalism is a fundamentally good idea.
Lol. I was not being serious. Lol in just playing. Lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)