• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Schapelle Corby: Guilty or innocent? (1 Viewer)

Guilty or Innocent?

• Guilty

Votes: 9 17.0%
  • Innocent

Votes: 44 83.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
What if she wants to appeal? Should Australia go to the expense of sending her back to Indonesia or let her have the appeal in a different country with a different standard of law?

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
So you are saying Australian citizens should have the right to ignore overseas laws as long as they aren't laws in Australia as well? Does the same apply to overseas tourists in Australia?

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
You comment about "not overseas" made me intepret that was what you meant :) I have no problem if she was transported to australia to serve out the sentence given to her by an Indonesian court, purely to make it easier for family members. However, it is only reasonable to expect that all appeal processes happen through Indonesia.

In any case I can't see why it would be advantageous to anyone but the family, but be a large expense to Australia.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
It is not Australia's place to comment on the laws of other countries.

How do you come to the conclusion she was wrongly accused?

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Xayma said:
It is not Australia's place to comment on the laws of other countries.

How do you come to the conclusion she was wrongly accused?

Exactly. Its a little concept called soverignty.

Rorix

HSC
Well, the bench of the Bored of Studies has clearly made up its mind after careful consideration of the facts presented to the Court.

Rorix

HSC
Yobbo CJ asqy, Yobbo CJ.

Show some respect to the Court of Public Opinion.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
You know we dont have much faith in the Indonesian Legal system do we?

How do we know that the judges wont just find her not guilty after looking at the evidence?

The bulk of us are working on the assumtion she will be found guilty. There is no reason to believe this! Have a little faith in their systems.

look if she is innocent she shall be found innocent.

Alot of the arguments in here are very premature

Last edited:

Rorix

HSC
Murf said:
she hadent even got her bag, as she went to get it they grabbed her, as they detected it through scanning as it came off the plane, so she hadent even had a chance to get to the bag really from what ive heard

From what you've heard the bag did not contain weed when it was given to the airline officials (implicit 'fact') and she hadn't had a chance to get to the bag so she is thus innocent.

Well, the rules of evidence could do with a good ol' spring cleaning out of some rules anyway.

Rorix

HSC
I don't think you caught the undertone of my post.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Murf said:
They aren’t commenting about laws of other countries they are commenting on the future of AUSTRALIAN CITIZENS and it IS Australians place to comment on AUSTRALIA'S citizens no matter where they are!
im going tomake some comments too becase ir ul.

secondly a person has claimed that they know WHO planted the drugs in Schapell corby's suitcase and thirdly the drugs taken FROM Australia INTO Indonesia would be worth HEAPS more money IN Australia compared to Indonesia so why in the hell would a person who has had blood tests and proven negative for not having any drugs with approx the last 3 months carry KG's of drugs, oversease with them, where they are worth less then Australia.
i took claim i knew theg uy. Hewas an arab wirth amoustache named mustafa. he was a fag.

She doesn’t do drugs as the test proved and from evidence from other people never has to the best of their knowledge. Not to mention she had travelled several times to Indonesia / bali before without any such problems
that just says something about the skill of the indonesian police now doesn't it.

As much as you’d like to say that this sort of thing isn’t Australians business its only Indonesia’s the point where this evidence is neglected and she DOES NOT get a fair trial becomes an International Human rights issue. any one accused according to the UN needs a fair unbiased and impartial trial and this clearly is not happening in Indonesia with schapell, this odiously is a big problem and something MUST be done about it not just sit back and try to ignore the issue.
Go back to fucking internationational land you un pussy.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Point out exactly where she isnt getting a fair trial.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Murf said:
you two really are stupid idiots, im sure you both have cocks the size of fucking penuts...and brains the size of one as well, why dont u both fuck off and join the yobbo bear drinking society u fucking narrow minded bogans...

im done waisting my time with you two fucknuts who odviously have iq's under 5
wollongong pussy gayface person.

Last edited:

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
neo_o said:
wollongong pussy gayface person.
Thats a really valid arguement *rolls eyes*

Most people are more against the sentence than anything, that was before it was downgraded to gaol term, however a lot of people are making judgements about the Australian Government, indonesian court system and her innocence without looking properly at the facts. I personally am not 100% sure of her guilt or innocence, i think she is innocent but cant be sure. 1 thing I am sure of is no one here is experts on either legal system - Why don't you all just let eachother share their opinions and respect it - agree to disagree rather than bite eachother heads off. None of us are experts on the subject, we only know what we have shown by the media, so none of us can be sure we are right...all we can be sure of is that we have an opinions and the right to voice them. End of story - stop fighting like children

Last edited:

Scanorama

HSC
chookyn said:
i can't decide which is worse: life sentence in an Indonesian jail, or death by firing squad.

both are extreme penalties, even if she's guilty (which i don't think she is)
the facts just don't add up...

what do you guys think about Russell Crowe speaking up?
Crowe jumps to Corby defence

Crowe said the government should request Corby be brought back to Australia to face trial under our judicial system.

"The photographs of Schapelle Corby broke my heart," he said.

"The first thing I thought this morning was, like, how can I get Johnny Howard on the phone and say 'look, what are you gonna do, mate, what are you gonna do? - that's ridiculous, what if it was your daughter?

"You know it as well as I do - all of these things, international diplomacy, can be moved to meet the needs of the individual country in that time.

"The due process of Indonesian law we have to respect from an international relations point of view but from my individual point of view, looking at it, it's like it's bullshit, let's deal with it."
The alleged crime took place at Indonesia, shouldn't it also deal by the local court? It's like a foreigner comes to Australia, kills someone. If the crime takes place in his country, he will get much lenient punishment (let's say a suspended sentence). And the country now request Australia to send the guy back and he will face trial in that country. Will we accept this offer?

He is an actor, not a lawyer, maybe he should get the facts right before he speaks. Thats right, if he thinks their law is bullshit, then deal with it, have a cry or whatever.

Crowe, who owns a property at Nana Glen on the mid-north NSW coast, also said it was time to decriminalise marijuana, as the current system was jeopardising too many lives
I find it hard to believe because of many people commit marijuana ralated crimes, so now we should make it legal. There are lots of people commit murder, rape, armed robbery, assult, corruption, speeding, drink-driving, should we legalise them as well? Speaking of seeking publicity , he is an one true example.

Last edited:

Generator

HSC
N/A
melsc said:
Thats a really valid arguement *rolls eyes*

however a lot of people are making judgements about [something]... without looking properly at the facts... 1 thing I am sure of is no one here is experts on [something] - Why don't you all just let eachother share their opinions and respect it - agree to disagree... End of story - stop fighting like children
This forum isn't that simple, dear. As you said, nobody here is an expert of any sort, yet we all like to share our views, whether they are welcome or not. As for agreeing to disagree, that is nothing more than a cop-out (in most cases).

tattoodguy

gough witlam............relating to the legalising marijuana.

if it can be proven marijuana is lesss harmful than alcohol or cigarettes --- would u agree that either marijuana should be legalised..............alcohol and cigaretttes be illlegal?

because, atleast marijuana has medical uses. the other 2 are purely recreational and obviously bad for you.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Marijuana only has medical uses (and only the THC component) in very rare circumstances. The harm it does otherwise is greater than that of cigarrettes and of moderate alcohol consumption.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Sydney Morning Herald said:
Australia pursues prisoner exchange deal
April 22, 2005 - 2:14PM

Schapelle Corby would not be retried in Australia but the government was in favour of those convicted in Indonesia serving their prison sentences here, Foreign Minister Alexander Downer says.

He said negotiations had already begun for a prisoner exchange agreement with Indonesia, where 11 Australians are serving custodial sentences.

"If we do negotiate a prisoner exchange agreement then all of them would be able to come back at least in theory and serve their sentences in Australia," he told radio 3AW.

"I say in theory because they may not want to or there may be some other obstacle.

"But as a matter of principle we would be in favour of having a prisoner exchange agreement and we've begun negotiations to have one."

Mr Downer said it was appropriate to use Australia's prisoner exchange agreement with Thailand as a model, under which the time served was handed down by the Thai courts.

"Under the prisoner exchange agreement with Thailand, if there is an agreement that the prisoner be transferred then the sentence has to be served as was handed down by the court in Thailand," he said.

"They don't come here and get re-tried in Australia, there's no question of that."

The Corby drugs trial has been adjourned until next Thursday after the prosecution dropped calls for the death penalty in favour of life imprisonment.

The 27-year-old's lawyers will spend the next week working on their reply to the prosecution's submission presented to the Denpasar District Court on Thursday.

Prosecutor Ida Bagus Wiswantanu asked the court to find the Gold Coast woman guilty of attempting to smuggle more than four kilograms of marijuana into Denpasar airport last year in her bodyboard bag.

He said she should be given a life jail sentence, rather than the death penalty, partly because the former beauty student had been polite during her trial and had no prior drug record.

Mr Downer said he was pleased the prosecution has not asked for the death sentence for Corby.
http://smh.com.au/articles/2005/04/22/1114028531082.html

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)