• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

science/arts combined (1 Viewer)

Densuki

eXpress Yourself
HSC
Re: science/arts combined, subjects to choose

ellie* said:
Hey Densuki,

To major in Med/Mirc/Immuno (major code MICRC13930) there are a number a prerequisites, as has been mentioned previously. The only problem is that if you want to balance out the arts and science portions of your degree evenly you need to try and do 4 science and 4 arts subjects each year. Unfortunately, there are five science prereqs in first year for MICRC, which unbalances your degree. But there is a way around it so you only do four science subjects in 1st year. Also, if you're not so good at chem or maths, then only doing two science subjects each session will help you to stress less!

You must do:
-BIOS1201 (s1) and BIOS 1101(s2)
-CHEM 1A and 1B
-either MATH1041 or MATH1031
...so here's my advice:
-if you did bio for the HSC and got over 75, aim for a credit in BIOS 1201, if you do this you can apply for an exemption from BIOS1101 in second session which automatically solves the problem of taking even amounts of sci/arts subjects. 1201 is pretty much the year 11 and 12 courses, so if you put your mind to it, you should have no problems.
-If your maths isn't so strong, take MATH1041 instead of MATH1031 as 1041 is statistics and is very easy, whereas 1031 is the equivalent of 3unit and up HSC calculus, nasty stuff.
-Don't panic about not having done chem in year 11 and 12. It's really hard, I'll give you that, because I went in to it with no prior chem knowledge at all and I didn't do the bridging course. I failed one of the mid-sessions but ended up with a pass mark overall. You'll have to work a lot with chem to understand it and be able to do it but the best way to push yourself up to a pass is to make sure you do all the computer assignments, show up to all your labs (and hand the reports in on time), and make friends with someone who is good at chem( those are the people who answer questions in lectures). Trust me, it works because they can help you with the assignments and lab reports too!

So then, this is what your timetable could look like
Session 1- BIOS1201, CHEM1011, two arts subjects
Session 2- CHEM1021, MATH1041, two arts subjects

Hope this helps, sorry it's so long.
Oh also, one final thing..if you fail chem 1A, DON'T PANIC!! It won't screw up your major sequence. You can repeat it in second session and then do 1B in Summer session.

Good luck!:)

Thank you for this reply,
becuz , prior to reading this
i had maths in both sessions
does this mean that i only need to do one of the maths?
and i think nancy said ill have to overload? does that mean in somestage of my 4yrs i have to completed both the maths units?

edit: how do u apply for exemptions?

edit 2:
just another thought guys on the handbook page under sci/arts
they allow science major, science minor and arts major
does that mean we can minor in a science aswell? say psychology
im red thinking about immunology atm..maybe psyio, but i thikn i have time to decide later on....

Semester 1 Courses Semester 2 Courses
Units Course * Alternative Units Course * Alternative
6 BIOS1201 Molecules, Cells and Genes 6 CHEM1021 Fundamentals of Chem 1B
6 CHEM1011 Fundamentals of Chem 1A 6 MATH1041 Stats for Life & Soc Sciences
6 PSYC1001 Psychology 1A 6 PSYC1011 Psychology 1B
6 J APN1000 Japanese Communication 1A 6 JAPN1001 Japanese Communication 1B

that possible
to end up with
major in psyiology, minor in psychology
and arts major in jap?
its just a thought, just wondering. ^^

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)