• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

SDA: How to quit? (1 Viewer)

LazyBoy

HSC
speak to your union rep at work. although i wouldnt reccomend you quitting your trade union. trade unionism is important especially for young people as our rights are often enough abused. Secondly they are important with the new IR reforms the liberal govt is introducing.

OS

Banned
HSC
I'm not in a union but apparently SDA gives you benefits like half-price movie tickets and more... Cool bananas!! So what's the deal with that??

_muse_

Come on join the joyride
HSC
freebies for the fees :p nah i dunno, somewhere in ur handbook that u got with ur SDA card should tell you how you can quit. but as lazyboy said, i wouldnt reccommend it. Ur union is going to be the only one who will stick up for you if you are under 18. cause no1 else will.

Carlito

HSC
OS said:
I'm not in a union but apparently SDA gives you benefits like half-price movie tickets and more... Cool bananas!! So what's the deal with that??
I get all that from the student union with uni.

The SDA havnt done anything for me except take money from my pay each week. And when they get us a pay rise (which is usually less then inflation anyway) even the non members get it.

I dont have any problems at work and my managers are all pretty good and understanding when I want to change my shifts.

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Yeah I agree that I find the SDA in my workplace to be deadbeats. One is the freakiest man you've ever met, he's just really weird, one is a dropkick no hoper that acts about 18 (hes late 20s) and the other one is a scary russian who I couldn't approach with an issue even if I wanted to!

As a team they're just trouble makers who piss the managers off and instead of helping us improve our working conditions just piss off the managers and make us all look bad.

Id prefer to get my $6.30 per week and leave myself at risk of being exploited by managers, I could handle it better myself.

_muse_

Come on join the joyride
HSC
my sda lady is fairly good, probably because she likes a select few of us because we were at her exchange students party.. and she got us drunk and we saw her have sex.. but thats a different story. the actual union delegates in my store however are a different story... one got fired and the other "cant work more than 5 hours a day because it hurts my fat back" hmm..

Grobus

Laughing Boy
HSC
Just go to their representative at uni and tell them youve lost faith in unionism and want to get out of it. Theyll let you, though probably grudgingly.

laney

HSC
don't quit the union

i'm about to take up an industrial relations claim against my boss and it would have been a lot easier if i was a part of the union. now i have to do this myself and it's more annoying and less easy to find information.
i'd better get a friggen pay out for doing all this research without the union.

in other words, stick with the union.

moffat

Yeah. Think about it.
HSC
who else gets money taken out of their pay from sda each week..and its recorded on ur payslips..then u get sent a letter every few months from sda saying they havent received any money from u?

Last edited:

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
i just rang them and they stopped stealing my money!

lol, they will ask why you want to quit though. say its against your beliefs or some shit. the were so enforcing when i joined up.

zenger69

Bok Choyer
HSC
don't you have to write a letter to quit.

I dunno

but I reckon SDA is full of crap unless your working in an industry with lots of members.

pushthebutton

I recently joined the SDA, and on the letter it told me that all union fees were tax deductible? I reckon u should just keep your membership ... that extra little bit that you get from non-membership just goes to the govt eventually. :(

Skittled

What did the crab do?
HSC
pushthebutton said:
I recently joined the SDA, and on the letter it told me that all union fees were tax deductible? I reckon u should just keep your membership ... that extra little bit that you get from non-membership just goes to the govt eventually. :(
Well, no, at most ~50% of that extra little bit goes to the government... probably much less for you and I, though. ...not to nitpick, of course ;)

I've never joined a union. I figure as an 18/19 year old, with a casual job, the cash is worth more to me than the problems that I might come across. Worst comes to the worst, I get a new job.

laney said:
i'm about to take up an industrial relations claim against my boss and it would have been a lot easier if i was a part of the union. now i have to do this myself and it's more annoying and less easy to find information.
i'd better get a friggen pay out for doing all this research without the union.
I'm assuming there's some waiting period (like private health insurance!) that they'll not help you, right, Laney? Like, you couldn't have just joined when you had a problem and expected them to help you, right?

whatashotbyseve

It all counts
HSC
Good four year thread revival?

Good luck with getting out of the SDA. The Union hacks specifically have a shame policy that makes it feel wrong to not join (they seriously do pressure you, it's seen as a sin to not join) and impossible to not. I remember I was the only one at induction not to join and I was getting death stares from the union. Just remember - at an entry job level, it makes no difference whether you have a union or not, your pay does not go up or down. Most managers are willing to give and take in terms of shifts, so the union serves no purpose really. Unless you like to see $7 flushed down the drain every week.

I would lean to writing a letter over a phone call, keep it is impersonal as possible.

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
Good four year thread revival?

Good luck with getting out of the SDA. The Union hacks specifically have a shame policy that makes it feel wrong to not join (they seriously do pressure you, it's seen as a sin to not join) and impossible to not. I remember I was the only one at induction not to join and I was getting death stares from the union. Just remember - at an entry job level, it makes no difference whether you have a union or not, your pay does not go up or down. Most managers are willing to give and take in terms of shifts, so the union serves no purpose really. Unless you like to see $7 flushed down the drain every week.

I would lean to writing a letter over a phone call, keep it is impersonal as possible.
5 year :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)