• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Seen Troy? (1 Viewer)

hatty

Banned
Originally posted by cayte
Well, yeah, but he did uncover it. From memory he actually managed to destroy six other ancient cities before getting to Troy. That's what you've got to accept about archaeology though, it basically destroys history in an attempt to preserve and recreate it.
i dont understand
how did he destroy it? and why?

Originally posted by Enlightened_One
Spartan tactics. Helen was from Sparta, and Spartans were the greatest fighting force of the time. They used the phalanx. They also sent out the hoplites to die first, as spear fodder.

ic, but what exactly were "spartan tactics"
like did they all stand in huge rows? or was it in little guerilla strike forces or what?
or was the only difference the sending out of the hoplites

cheers

angelduck

Behind a rock with a glitter gun poised and ready
HSC
Lol, okay, the Roman tactic used was the one the momanads used when they first got off the ships - using their sheilds as a wall altogether. Yes, damn modern Students!!!!
Umm, okay, but Shliemann destroyed it all for a pet theory, if he was an actual historian, after the facts, not fame, he would have preserved, or tried to, everything he came across that wasnt from his period, because it could have lead him to uinderstand why troy fell, and what happened afterwards, ie. The truth to the Iliad

cayte

OK, so we're agreed, Schliemann is a tool. But we also agree he was out to find Troy and he actually did, even he went a bit psycho?
When you excavate an archeological site you're basically moving a whole lot of earth and rock and once you've gone through one layer representing perhaps one historical period or one city it becomes rubble. Sometimes things can be salvaged from this but, like with most things, precision is developed over time. See, to start with you have dig trenches which disrupts the soil then, you have grid patterns of excavated areas and walls of earth and, well, it gets a little complex. Perhaps someone who's studied it all a little more recently can explain it a little better.

angelduck

HSC
Its true! But, he didnt find troy! thats my point! and if he hadve been a good historian, he would have kept all the other evidence he could, not dug a shaft right through it. Other than that, i luvvvvvvv debates, can we get back to the movie plzzzzzzzz (it would help wit me understanding of my ext. topic - im nearly finished my 8th draft, but understanding what im saying is always good)

angelduck

HSC
ARGH!!!!!!!!! Damn modern to hell! I just got back my ext. history draft, and was told i waz focusing on movies from the "ancient" time to much, not enough modern ones - STUPID TEACHERS!!!! My friend got her Spanish one back, and was told it was worth full marks! I h8 modern! damn it to hell! (and yes, i do realise this is a troy thread - im getting to that) And they said that i was to peadantic about the inaccuracies in troy - hello, my whole essay is about inaccuracies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Meh, i only lost half a mark, must remember, essay is marked by modern teachers, must plz them

charmed_cuties

Bubblegum girl
HSC
well i thought that the movie troy wasn't well assembled and there were parts and characters missing in the actual myth itself. well i'll still rate it between 7 and 8, but thought that it could of been much better through additional in corporation of events and characters! well it seems as though the war wasn't just a 10 year siege on Troy but one within a month or so!

I'm doing the Trojan War for my history extension essay and there's like so much history of the site of Hissarlik where Schliemann claimed he found troy

charmed_cuties

Bubblegum girl
HSC
well, schliemann didn't find troy (of the Trojan War) but he did pave the way for later archaeologist to find Homer's Troy, and in fact there is a lot of evidence that support the claim that Troy of the 13th century BC was destroyed by a war or even many wars
on the other hand, Schliemann was a greedy gold hunter, an amateur of his own time, that he was careless and may be classified as a relic hunter of some sort and not merely a modern archaeologist with systematic and accurate methdologies in excavations

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
Damned right charmed cuties. he thought he was Indianna Jones. There'a an account he wrote about finding some artfifacts. He emebellished it somethign awful. He claimed his diggers were working and he seen goldso he jumped down, followed by his sixteen year old Turkish wife, Sophie, and started shoving all this gold in her shawl. Meanwhile this big rock was looming overhead about to fall.
This guy was full of himself, and he was a bit dirty. He had thirty years on Sophie.

malfrax

Troy was a pretty good movie I think, ten years compressed into like 13 days or something. If you're a bit squeemish about seeing a bit to much of brad pitt's ass then this movie is not for you.

SmokedSalmon

HSC
I've seen Troy twice now. I really enjoyed watching the battles, esp. the fight between Hector and Achilles. Was choreographed very well. And there was plenty of eye candy!! :D
Although they changed the story considerably I didn't mind. Its always nice to have a few twists.
My favourite actor overall was Sean Bean as Odysseus. He appeared to have such a strong presence on the screen. Unfortunately he wasn't in much of the movie. I hope that if another movie about Odysseus is made, he will be the guy!

cayte

I agree, Bean was one of the few actors that was truly convincing in his role. Not self-conscious and wanky like most of the others.

vanity

HSC
anything with brad pitt nekkid more than once is a good movie hehehe . . .

it was a bit stupid though, when hector was like "that's enough for one day" half way through the war

then how prysais how ever her name is spelt (hectors cousin, the priestess) was like "hmm ok i'm going to try to kill archilles, i'll put this knife to his throat and oh darn look he's on top of me now might as well have sex then"

cayte

"... and throw away everything I've ever valued in my life and defeat the entire purpose of my being betrothed to a god." Good way to keep your job, cheat on your boss...

shelley

trouble maker
HSC
haha well its was rather annoying in parts like...umm it wasnt his cousin it was his best friend...and why isnt he dead yet!..and well the chick didnt have an important role..and teh arguments which is teh focal piont gets trivialised.........but i did enjoy the movie (except it gives a rather startling impression that teh war lasted about 2 weeks) the fight scenes were good, and maybe if i hadnt been studying the illiad and archaic greece at uni i wouldnt of been so annoyed when the "adapted" ( or reaslitically borrowed a few names cos its nothin like teh illiad) the book

ckashie

Guys come on, who cares what happened in the movie... Orlando Bloom, Eric Bana and Brad Pitt were wearing miniskirts and you were noticing the historical inaccuracies :O :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)