• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

SemiConductors (1 Viewer)

ausm8

HSC
Hi,
I have a question about superconductors, especially about YBaCuO. Is this substance a conductor at a temperature above critical temp? If yes, why?

Cheers

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Well if it fits under the category of a "metal oxide ceramic", then it is likely to superconduct at temperatures a little higher than the critical temperature.

ausm8

HSC
Thanks, but I am asking about it at room temperature.

Thanks

WouldbeDoctor

HSC
N/A
ausm8 said:
Hi,
I have a question about superconductors, especially about YBaCuO. Is this substance a conductor at a temperature above critical temp? If yes, why?

Cheers
According to a table I research it has a critical temp. of 30 K. The answer to your question is no. There is no superconductor found to have a critical temperature at room temp. I can see why rivet didn't reply (no offense) A critical temperature is the temperature inwhich the conductor has 0 resistance. I think more research is in order. However, keep in mind that the topic of superconductivity is complex and its presence in the syllabus of H.S.C physics is questionable. It cannot be explained for type II conductors which is the one you mentioned. BSC theory only explains for type I which are elements. Anyhow, I hope that provided clarification.

WBD

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Is this substance a conductor at a temperature above critical temp?
Just to clarify, at temperatures above the critical temperature, all type I or II conductors will still conduct, but with much higher resistance than if it were below the critical temperature.

Jase

HSC
um.. i think ceramic oxides need to be doped in order to conduct. or at least conduct 'well'.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)